General Dynamics Information Technology

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson
S. Daniel Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits and competitive salary - great co-workers and working environment (in 28 reviews)

• Very casual work environment (shorts, t-shirts as long as you're not meeting a client) (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems oblivious to tech so middle management had to translate needs (in 13 reviews)

• Low work-life balance, people expect you to work extra hours (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

102 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company that cares for their people

Former Employee - Network Administrator  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Washington, DC

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits, 401k, health care, discounts with multiple retailers
    Good People, They care about what is going on with you.

Cons

Like most companies that bid on contracts they are trying to do more with less, while the pay is good, it is sometimes a pain with the shift schedule you work.

Good overall

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary and benefits are good for the industry. As long as you are a performer there seems to be less of a chance of layoffs than other large system integrators around the beltway

Cons

Opportunity for promotion is limited. Need to be your own advocate when looking for the next contract to work.

Stop micro-managing! Most of your people have a clue, give them some rope and let them hang themselves and reward then when they don't. Get rid of the incompetent buffoons that you seem to insist surrounding yourselves with.

Test Engineer
    Write Test Cases, Execute Test Cases and Log defects

Current Employee - Test Engineer  in  Warrenton, VA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Warrenton, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am enjoying woking in current project.

Cons

New assignment is given wihout trained.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Through acquisitions the company changed during the period of time I was there and from when I started.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Fairfax, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Methodical, don't tend to overreact when something doesn't happen right away.

Cons

It has lost its agility and customer focus. It is stuck in its processes.

Get back to focusing on the customers problems instead of their internal processes.

Lots of opportunity if you are willing to seek it out and work hard.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for career advancement exist if you are willing to work hard, network, establish the right relationships and work long hours.

Cons

No work life balance exists. Managers seem to hire from the outside versus promoting from within. Not a lot of communication exists between upper management and the rest of the company.

Value your employees!

Great place...bleak future

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Herndon, VA

Pros

Not a lot of pros to speak of.

Cons

No stability. Relying on the Business Development Managers that have been working for the company for the last 30 years to bring in new contracts will be the downfall of this company.

Well compensated at the senior level, but the company was in a time warp

Current Employee - If I Say They Will Know Who IT IS  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - If I Say They Will Know Who IT IS in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Pay, size, benefits, office environment, fair management in general, strong HR process and policies. Equal opportunities regardless of race or gender - no good old boy network that I ever experienced.

Cons

About 20 years behind in processes and business acumen. Skills can really go downward working here. No training in many areas other than online Skillsoft kinds of things. Very penny conscious and pound foolish.

Invest in the infrastructure and people.

Typical Large Corp

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They continue to win contracts and find new business opportunities. Above average job security. Company values - they talk a good line, but they just get by.

Cons

I wasn't impressed with anyone there. Too much management overhead. The majority of their business is government contracts that they are good at winning and adequate at staffing and performing. They aren't doing anything new or impressive. They win contracts by writing well, bidding low, staffing them with under qualified people, and managing customer expectations.

Get rid of management and focus on excellent talent.

Pretty standard for gov't support contractor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Better compensation than others I've worked for

Cons

Usual for gigantic contractor companies - basic insurance, little access to personalized interaction with HR or other infrastructure, standard big company bureaucracy,

Implement some of the out-of-the-box perks & benefits small privately-owned companies offer.

A good stepping stone

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

The organization has an excellent benefit package which includes dicounts on various club memberships such as BJ's and automobile purchases.

Cons

The internal talent is not utilized to the organizations advantage and there is no true "Standardized" company policy. Moreover, it's ethical standards have taken a turn for the worst.

Standardize all policies to be the same without regard to "Site manager discretion" as this creates a biasness on sites, utilize your internal talent before looking outside of the organization and bring back the top notch ethical organization that I so dearly loved.

Worked for General Dynamics Information Technology? Contribute to the Community!