General Dynamics Land Systems
www.gdls.com Sterling Heights, MI 5000+ Employees

General Dynamics Land Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014
General Dynamics Land Systems – Sterling Heights – “Visitor Entrance”

General Dynamics Land Systems President Mark C. Roualet

Mark C. Roualet

Pros:
  • "Flexible, good benefits, 9/80 work schedule"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Benefits package good, 9/80 work schedule"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little to no promotion within the company"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Upper Management is all about themselves"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I had a good experience at GDLS overall

Site Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPro's include decent pay, good work environment, great benefits, and overall a lt of great people to work with. I honestly miss many of the people I worked with and wish I hadn't left when I did. Also, I appreciated the fact that we were always focused on the customer, (in my case the US Army PMO), and their needs as opposed to our own. It's truly a humbling experience to work directly with the Soldiers in a combat environment and the fact we were able to positively impact the outcome was job satisfaction you can't get in many other places.

ConsThe only real downside is that GDLS suffers from the same malady as most, if not all, large companies. That is they have employee HRitis. What I mean by that is the HR department on the one hand says the Manager is empowered to conduct disciplinary action when employee misconduct warrants it but on the other hand they don't really mean it. As a Site Manager I had a horrible employee who was an embarrassment to the company and yet I couldn't touch him because of the home station HR. He was one of the reasons I left when I did because I couldn't stand not being able to get rid of him. Shortly after I left he did something so egregious they were forced to get rid of him at the behest of the customer. It was a shame because I would have been rid of him much sooner than that and saved the company a great deal of embarrassment. HR is always scared they will be sued, especially when it comes to minority employees. To avoid that they simply write meaningless disciplinary letters until the employee does something so heinous they're left with no choice but to get rid of him/her. It should never have to come to that.

Advice to Senior ManagementI highly recommend two things: 1. A review and update to the HR guidelines with an emphasis on empowering Managers to properly mete out discipline as required. 2. More in-depth systems training of newly hired FSR's, escially in the Stryker arena. When the Soldier knows more about the vehicle and its systems than the "Corporate Field Service Representative", you have a problem! I don't know if this will be reviewed by GDLS but I hope it is. Also, you need to get rid of tyrants at the top of the GDLS chain of cammand, and you know who I'm talking about. Fear of the boss is no way to lead and does not encourage creative solution sets to problems.

Learned alot dealing with numerous problems with the IT Service Provider

Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHaving every other Friday off. Beneifts and 401k match 5% if you contribute 6%.

ConsToo much long term or military management that are not up with current management styles. Old school thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport and foster your employees to move up and not to stay in the same position for year after year after year.

Specialist

I have been working at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood balance between life and work

ConsLack of professional advancement opportunities

Fantastic!

I have been working at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time

ProsAbsolutely amazing culture and challenging stimulating work. Best place I have ever worked in my life! Seriously. I love the company.

ConsI cannot think of any at this time. I like getting out of bed every morning!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work in terms of maintaining a great culture with positive change.

Not a typical factory setting

Assembler (Current Employee)
Lima, OH

I have been working at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay and excellent benefits

Consconstant lay-offs. not very stable

Advice to Senior Managementget more input directly from the employees

GDLS is a great place to be when the government funding is flowing!

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee)
Sterling Heights, MI

ProsI met a lot of really good people working at General Dynamics Land Systems. If you are a valued employee you can be put on a good program where you can have opportunity, job satisfaction, and growth. There are some really smart and talented leaders in the Systems organization.

ConsThe work that GDLS has is government contract work. The funding levels are declining and GDLS is going through some workforce reductions. There will undoubtedly be some reorganization and instability for a while. There are some weak leaders in the subsystems organization. Subsystems Engineering is attempting to protect head levels instead of cutting dead weight and protecting more talented employees like systems engineering has done. This means the core of the company's product is getting weaker. They need to get better people in the chief eningeer positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe structure is inefficient. There is no need to have leads for program, project, systems and subsystems engineering. There are more leads than people to do the work. You should not need a DDM in order to take a restroom break.

Good Pay & Benefits

Project Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time

ProsGood Pay & Benefits
Secure employment in Sterling Heights

ConsThey have been quite unfair to some who have been with the company for a long time during lay-offs

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest some of you money into fair priced product upgrades to boost FMS

Lost my Vote

Logistics Support Technician (Former Employee)
Woodbridge, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was work and occasionally exciting when the project worked. The annual golf tourney and Christmas party were usually pretty nice. HR had drop-dead gorgeous women, which made it hard to concentrate on the conversation.

ConsJob promotions were announced, only after a candidate had already been selected. No chance of moving up the chain, only a lateral move - no pay raise - more responsibility for the same amount of pay and stature.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet management that can run a business. The upper management was only interested in keeping their jobs by sacrificing others that actually did the work!

Good pay, too TOP heavy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAwesome product. Off every other Friday.

ConsManagement. No realistic OT pay.

Okay plNeutralOkay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible, good benefits, 9/80 work schedule

ConsOpportunities only given to buddies. Performance doesn't seem to be be considered.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize all levels of employees and realize that everyone matters.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for General Dynamics Land Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics Land Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Dynamics Land Systems CEO Mark C. Roualet. All 140 reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics Land Systems employees.