General Dynamics Land Systems Reviews

180 reviews filtered by
2.9
General Dynamics Land Systems President Mark C. Roualet
Mark C. Roualet

Pros
  • Flexible, good benefits, 9/80 work schedule (in 32 reviews)

• The benefits package is incredible and the 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tends to strut around the organization as though the sheeple they encounter are only there to do their bidding (in 10 reviews)

• Constant restructuring, lack of effective leadership, little to no cohesion and teamwork even within the same department (in 5 reviews)

1. Generally a decent place to gain experience and potentially have a career.

Current Employee - Section Manager in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Section Manager in Sterling Heights, MI

Pros

Benefits
    Paid Holidays align with UAW days off
    401K
    People

Cons

As a defense contractor, so much of our work and work force is contract dependent. It's virtually impossible to maintain staff if funding is cut, no matter how temporary. I've had to lay off people just to rehire them 90 days later when funding gets straightened out...if the good people will come back (a lot do). The compensation system is severely flawed. They limit promotions to a very few, if any...sometimes a moratorium on promotions last 2 years. Young and talented people will not wait forever to be recognized. Also, the annual 'merit' reviews and associated salary increases are based on so many things that have nothing to do with your actual job responsibilities or performance.

Upper management needs to find a way to retain and reward young talent. Also need to spend money on training and R and D. It feels we become led competitive because we are working with old systems and processes and have not been able to retain high level talent. Current culture is to get more efficient at virtually any cost...this is starting to impact the staff and the ability to compete in this 'Technical acceptable, Most affordable' government contracting world.
    Management needs to find alternate ways of attracting, rewarding and keeping high quality employees that carry the load and meet commitments.

2. Enjoyed working for this company while it lasted. Rumor was they would come and go. Enjoy it while it lasts Canada !!!

Former Employee - Facilities/Maintenance in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Facilities/Maintenance in Charleston, SC

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very well structured with lots of online training courses to get one familiar and informed about policies within the company as well as the Government. Seemed there was a real potential for growth. Enjoyed working with a great bunch of people throughout the entire company in Charleston, SC It's the people that make it great.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges was to filter all the rumors flying around as to what the companies future looked like and not knowing how many would be laid off the next time around. Apparently, this is the reality of working for a government contractor.

The decisions which you make, I certainly hope that your looking out for the people who really produce the end product and not just your management teams. How unfortunate that so many jobs were lost here in Charleston, only to be sent to Canada.

3. My time working at GDLS was amazing!

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems

Pros

I loved working at GDLS because we would get weekends off and every other friday we were off. Management is very open and friendly, you could come up to them any time and ask them how to do this or what do you want me to do and they won't hesitate to help you. If you need to go out of town for personal business all you needed to do was ask them and as a contractor they would likely approve it.

Cons

there are really no issues that I had with the company.

Keep up the good work!

5. Working For General Dynamics Land Systems

I have been working at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time

Pros

Stable work environment once hired

Cons

- International Human Resources does not show active concern or care for downstream employees
    - Change rules with little or no notice (tax equalization is an example)

Evaluate performance of International HR through downstream employee feedback.

6. It progressively got worse year after year

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems

Pros

There are pockets of good. If you are in a certain position, it is nice to be there. This positions are all at the Section Manager level or higher. Pay is pretty good at that level.

Cons

Leadership stinks, constant "clipboarding (are you done yet)", blaming others for failure, throw others under the bus and then backup the bus again and again...two or three words can describe the place: Very Toxic Environment!!!!

Talk to your employees and may be listen to them once in a while instead of listening to the project lead's BS! They are only telling you what you want to hear.

7. Good place to work. A place with a lot of reputable history. work/life balance is fair.

Pros

Employees overall are very patriotic. Many knowledge learning from military business relation.

Cons

Not proactive or bit oversight of new business development strategy comparing to the rivals. Still following the old business model and slow reaction to the US defense & international trend.

8. I have been working at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits, many technical topics potential to work on, and opportunity for employee to grow,

Cons

marketing sense and business catch are challenge.

Great People, Old World Way of Management

Former Employee - Material FInance Analyst in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Material FInance Analyst in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every other friday off, great co- workers, solid benefits, decent building.

Cons

old world hierarchy of management, lack of progression, based on contractual business, pay is middle of the road or worse.

Start rewarding your employees! Don't expect them to just sit there and take whatever you think is just. Look at the work environment around you and acquiesce to those standards. Oh and bell shaped curves shouldn't dictate performance!

Weak Upper Management Team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO is above average and 9/80 schedule is great!

Cons

Very incompetent Upper Management team for years who mostly manage by intimidation. They surround themselves with "yes man" type of individuals that are average to bellow average individuals. The culture moved backwards in time in the past 10-15 years where the rest of the world moved forward. The reason they can get away with this behavior is due to the large sole source contracts that they have and no fear of competition. This management team will not last a month under normal real business world operations. Bad decision after anther in the past few years and the business looks bleak.

What Management team? This can only be fixed by Phebe (a highly respected CEO) getting rid of 75% of the management team and replacing them with more competent and more dynamic individuals.

Everyone knew everyone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at General Dynamics Land Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great healthcare and 401K benefits. So many sports teams its easy to meet other employees.

Cons

Never learn anything that is on the leading edge of technology. All their web technology is ancient and their internal use of software is not industry standard. Total Oracle house. Doing timecards suck.

People should have career paths. At least ask your employees what they want to do in the future and try and make it happen. I only left the company because there was no advancement or career path. I couldn't see myself working there for 20 more years.

General Dynamics Land Systems Photos