General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews

Chris Marzilli

1. Dinosaurs in the modern era

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady salary, steady work, hours are kept to reasonable amount

Cons

LOTS of beuracracy, outdated technology, and futile efforts to change things

Advice to Management

hire advisers from Google to figure out how to better manage your heaps of information/data

2. great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Taunton, MA

Pros

awesome work environment, flexible schedules, plenty of room for growth since they have difficulty retaining software people in the 2-8 year range, everyone there is a pleasure to work with, meaningful tasks and assignments

Cons

Pay is not competitive with other companies (government contractors and especially commercial companies) and this is a large factor in why people are leaving once they get experience. Some people get leaned on heavily since a lot of the knowledge is concentrated in few subject matter experts that remain.

Advice to Management

This is an extremely fun place to work, especially for the younger crowd. They have plenty of room to develop into successful engineers and many of them do. Pay them appropriately or you will keep seeing the same trend of them leaving to get more money once they are experienced.

3. General Review

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

IMHO - GD is a great place to work, I've been here 10.5 years and have been challenged in many ways.

Cons

As GD is mostly focused on engineering, therefore there is a huge focus on the engineers as they are the bread and butter. But there are others who are not engineers who are just as important to the organization.

Advice to Management

Don't say things to the employee's by making it sound as if it is a "perk" or "benefit", when in fact it isn't. We're not stupid people (which is why you hired us), we can read between the lines. If we are doing so well as a company, why is it so difficult to grow in our career?

5. Taught me to avoid government contracting

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Fairfax, VA

Pros

We were working with fairly new technology as far as government contracts go. The project had a great feeling of community and I felt like my work was really making a difference in our product - there was a lot of opportunity to become an expert in the product and make some contributions to its architecture even in the short time I was there as an intern.

Cons

GD-AIS headquarters in Fairfax was very nice but the other offices were basically cramped cubicle farms with small break rooms, no breakout or conference space, and no places to work or eat away from your desk. We claimed to be practicing scrum and agile development but a lot of remnants of waterfall remained. Requirements were delivered to developers from on high and even when we knew they were going to change in the future we had to implement them. The office was not in walking distance to restaurants or stores. Management forced uncompensated overtime on the full time developers. There was a lack of effective development processes (for testing, code review, version control, etc)

Advice to Management

Invest in your workers. Spend more time and money making them comfortable and ensuring that the offices support their needs. Allow individual projects to be as self-organizing as possible - we were at our best when we self-organized.

6. It's a government contractor...just like all the other big contracting companies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Standard benefits package (Medical, Life, Dental, Vision, 401(k)), decent coworkers, decent on-site management. My management team promotes a culture of open idea sharing, and engagement between the teams. This makes dealing with our client bearable.

Cons

There's really nothing that separates GDMS from other big government contracting firms. They are mainly concerned with generating business, winning bids (and in many cases, failing to do so), and keeping their bottom line nice and fat. This means that the contractors get short-changed on PTO, raises, and other perks that the corporate workers get.

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors better so you don't have high turnover. Your contractors are your revenue stream, working hours that are billable to the client. We're the money-makers. The folks sitting at desks at the corporate office are overhead.

7. Process is king

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very solid process and procedure documentation. Web based tools are updated in a timely manner. Company takes it very seriously.

Cons

Company sometimes loses big picture perspective when mired in process. This is partly due to government requirements but a lot of it we bring on ourselves.

Advice to Management

Employees are always being asked to do more with less, and the over emphasis on process can be time consuming and frustrating.

8. Great Place to work coming out of school!

Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Great people. The people are what make it awesome place to work. Everyone is welcoming and inviting. The company culture is also super awesome.

Cons

I don't believe there is anything bad about it. I have enjoyed working there every day and am thankful for all the experience I have gained working there.

Advice to Management

Hire talented people and the company will keep on growing. Keep pursuing business that keep the company growing.

9. Solid company with strong ethics

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Strong ethics expected and performed. Contracts for important work for US and international security. New focus on strong cultural values.

Cons

Too early to say whether the promise of Mission Systems (combination of AIS and C4S) will really happen. ELT still has some members that don't appear to be aligned to new mission, culture, etc.

Advice to Management

Make the vision of GDMS a reality! Make the right decisions; be courageous.

10. It's Great (if you're okay with favoritism and non-ethical practices)

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Benefits are okay, but expensive. [Really struggling to come up with enough "Pros" to meet the 20 word minimum]

Cons

No raises/promotions unless you're one of the favorites No recognition for hard work Certain employees are allowed to come and go as they please, while everyone else is held to a strict standard Management does not bother to interact with employees they consider unimportant (which is everyone EXCEPT the favorites) No growth opportunities Obvious timecard fraud by management and employees

Advice to Management

Start recognizing that the half dozen people who get credit for everything aren't the only ones working. In fact, they're doing the LEAST amount of work. Give employees the flexibility to alter schedules if needed. Treat employees like adults, not children.

11. Staff Software Engineer

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company that provides stable employment, good benefits, and a decent salary. Majority of coworkers are easy to with with.

Cons

Seemingly a lack of accountability; there are some engineers who don't know the basics, or perhaps don't care, but in either case they never seen to be held accountable for not doing their tasks.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight and promote those who are doing a great job more quickly. Don't let the job descriptions prevent you from promoting young engineers who are worth way more.

RSS Feed </> Embed