General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great to work for!!!

Pros

Great leadership within the office.

Cons

Beltway traffic for those who live west of the office.

2. Change - for the worse

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer/Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer/Manager

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work supports the warfighter & homeland defense Established policies and procedures. 9/80 flex schedule

Cons

Location based transition conflict of processes and culture with C4S division. Negative career growth outlook for employees not located in Arizona and Virginia. Open lack of respect and integrity from new Senior management.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate if the old boy network at C4S will ultimately help grow the business or only help them line their buddies up for executive positions and bonuses while implementing further cost-cutting at non-Arizona sites.

3. Project Lead

Former Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was better than many other companies, and many very capable people to work with. Benefits were good while I was there, but were tightening like every where else. Technical knowledge of domains was very high among the engineers and most had a practical approach to problem solving. This company is very strong in process definition and adherence.

Cons

This company gets too involved in enforcing process adherence. There are times when the level of process overwhelms the task at hand. Management can seem aloof from engineers and does not engage with them often enough. The location where I worked was too disconnected from the corporate culture when project decisions where made.

Advice to Management

Be more interaction between business and technical roles.

Great People, flexible work hours, no compensation incentives

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Great talented people, good work; can have work schedule that allows every other Friday off

Cons

pay does not necessarily correlate to ability, continuous hard work bears no rewards (bonuses) or appropriate raise;

Advice to Management

keep valuable employees by balancing individual professional growth needs with company needs

Where ambition goes to die

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most projects have depressed managers who won't ask you to work more than the minimum 40 hours because they themselves are tired of it.

Cons

If you want to be more than a code monkey, you have ambition, want to take on more responsibility or lead, then look elsewhere. They are just looking for people to crank out code right now and have no money or space on projects for anyone who wants to do more than that.

Advice to Management

Invest money in building up your employees so they are more inclined to invest back in the company.

Senior software engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees of GD are amazing to work with. Caring, helpful and always willing to share knowledge. Lower level management is open to ideas and provide many opportunities to improve skills and expand education.

Cons

Pay is lower than industry standards and technology that is used to build product is often outdated.

8. Mixed, great for many, but my interests diverged from company's projects over time

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ

Pros

I worked for 10+ yrs along side some bright, dedicated professionals who were/are committed to their stakeholders. Decent 401k match, benefits Company cafeteria Mostly good work/life balance (tougher to maintain the higher up the ladder you get though) I got my master's degree paid for while I was there; I'm not sure whether the education benefits are what they once were though.

Cons

It can be tough being moved around to different departments based on their need/workload (in conjunction with your current project needing to staff down) rather than your interests and skills. I found there was more demand for web/server/cloud skills in the SW dev marketplace in general than there were opportunities within GD to learn those type of skills to stay relevant and marketable overall outside of GD, so that was a big reason why I decided to work elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I don't know whether things have changed significantly since I've worked there but the projects on which I worked were very documentation and process heavy where better results could have been achieved using a more agile approach. Some of this might be imposed government contractual standards endemic to defense contracting, though.

electronic assembler

Former Employee - Electronic Assembler in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Electronic Assembler in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

It was a team basic group. Great team to work for.

Cons

Work load is up and down making it hard to work steady and they don’t hired contractor very often.

10. Not to bad

Pros

Get to work on projects that truly help to defend the united states of america.

Cons

Bad befits and the location is not the greatest for a new grad.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better.

11. Not bad

Current Employee - Information Security Engineer II in Hudson, NC
    Current Employee - Information Security Engineer II in Hudson, NC

Pros

Several divisions and great opportunities.

Cons

HR and management need to look at salaries across each and all divisions.

RSS Feed </> Embed