General Dynamics Reviews

188 reviews filtered by
3.3
General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic
Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented (in 11 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs (in 12 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills (in 6 reviews)

1. Retired

I worked at General Dynamics

Pros

Diversified position with many challenges

Cons

Stress levels in this job are extremely high.

2. GD is chocked full of very competent engineers.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My experience with GD was that GD is interested in engineering success. I found this company to be very interested in meeting goals and, conversely, not so involved in internal politics as is common with other companies. This company was a breath of fresh air where everyone worked to make things work, as opposed to other companies where engineers work to build and maintain empires.

Cons

I only worked for GD for 2 years. I would have to concoct a "CON" here. I guess the only CON is that I don't work for them now.

...no advice.

3. I learned so much for it being my 1st time working at a call center. a great experience that I enjoy working there.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, KY

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Unorganized, lots of plans changed

Be more organized

5. Just sign this so we can keep these parts moving.

Former Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a decent group of people, and I enjoyed being around most of them. Compensation was fine for the Midwest.

Cons

The culture is entirely about keeping parts moving toward shipping. The normal response to a defect is to keep processing while the customer documents their acceptance of the failure. The entire company seems to have skipped school the day they talked about "continuous improvement." Management does not tolerate questions or any challenge of decisions. It's a very 1960's organization and culture. They mention the word "team" but being a team player means only that you do what you're told - what management wants. It's a demoralizing, stifling culture that drains the life out if anyone who wants to contribute to making the place better.

Grow up. You're not smarter than the people working for you. And just because you talked your way into jobs you weren't qualified for doesn't make you right. And try to remember there are facts, and when you don't know something, those other thoughts you have are called "opinions" - and they aren't the same thing. Just because you're thinking something doesn't make it right.

6. General Dynamics is an average government contracting company, with all the benefits and limitations of a large company.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is stable and provides reasonable benefits. The salary ranges favor younger employee.

Cons

There is not a lot of support for training for more senior employees. Engineers tend to get pigeon holed into a role.

Invest in your employees, especially if they have been loyal, have a history of excellent work, and have demonstrated a commitment to staying current in technology. Salaries need to track cost of living at least.

7. Very "middle of the road" experience working here.

Current Employee - Conguration Analyst in Fort Campbell, KY
    Current Employee - Conguration Analyst in Fort Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very fast recruitment process. First Line Supervisor was very helpful in assisting with company related issues.

Cons

No additional training provided to enhance job skills of those that work there. Unwilling to provide support to employees when a conflict arises between contract and government.

Don't take the word of the customer always as gospel. Sometimes the civilians making the complaints need to be held accountable for their messages and due diligence should be provided to the employees of the company before punitive measures are put in place due to false allegations.

8. Network manager

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

Lots of great people, lots of oppertunities for groth

Cons

It a very stressful environment

nothing

9. Very friendly. Very big.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many young people. Fun working on a team.

Cons

Development tool-chain very weird and convoluted

streamline development process

10. GD wireless services needs an overhaul

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at General Dynamics as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

GD has some excellent folks in finance and accounting. GD has the ability to get the supporting vendors paid quickly. Some extremely talented people at the non-managerial level.

Cons

Unfortunately, GD Wireless services has serious challenges when it comes to professional management of the enterprise. The organization middle and senior management is completely untrained with respect to managing a business in the private sector. Just because someone was an excellent NCO, does not mean they can function in the non-governmental sector. Supply chain and logistics managed from the seat of the pants. Multiple violations of Sarbanes Oxley regulations. GD wireless services has lost market share consistently in the last 3 years.

The leadership is completely in denial and not capable of being honest with themselves regarding their own decisions. No accountability, just the same thing over and over again using the same bad managers over and over again. The good talent gets either run off or quits.

11. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Training and Cirrilicum Development
    Current Employee - Training and Cirrilicum Development

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and work environment. Co-workers are superb and constantly strive to improve our product. General Dynamics is Vet friendly and this particular job allows me to remain in contact with the Navy.

Cons

Challenge of maintaining schedules in the face of ship delivery and Navy crew needs. At times, it is tough getting final design and technical support information from government/3rd party vendors.

More clarity on build schedules and timelines.

General Dynamics Photos