General Dynamics Reviews

193 reviews filtered by
3.3
General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic
Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented (in 11 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs (in 12 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills (in 6 reviews)

1. Great place to learn!

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with a great team, supporting a great cause! Compensation was very competitive and coworkers were helpful and willing to take time during the learning curve.

Cons

My only complain was that I was injured on the job and had to use my own vacation time while I was out of work. Was not eligible for workers compensation for some reason, which I didnt really understand.

2. System Engineer (Consultant)

I worked at General Dynamics

Pros

Some interesting engineering challenges and some good engineers

Cons

Too much Program Management control on engineering issues and too many little in-house kingdoms restrict innovation and productivity

3. Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (Customer Service Representative) in London, KY

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

Great people; managers always willing to help in anyway... enjoyed my time there and learned so much.

Cons

Unorganized at times and lots of changes at the last minute.

5. Mantech is a great company has wonderful benefits and they try to accommodate the employees

Current Contractor - Financial Service Representative in Fort Rucker, AL
    Current Contractor - Financial Service Representative in Fort Rucker, AL

I have been working at General Dynamics as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I am able to work 40 hours and often we are given an opportunity to go TDY to different other locations

Cons

It is a contract job, working on contract there really is no job security

6. Retired

I worked at General Dynamics

Pros

Diversified position with many challenges

Cons

Stress levels in this job are extremely high.

7. GD is chocked full of very competent engineers.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience with GD was that GD is interested in engineering success. I found this company to be very interested in meeting goals and, conversely, not so involved in internal politics as is common with other companies. This company was a breath of fresh air where everyone worked to make things work, as opposed to other companies where engineers work to build and maintain empires.

Cons

I only worked for GD for 2 years. I would have to concoct a "CON" here. I guess the only CON is that I don't work for them now.

Advice to Management

...no advice.

8. Systems engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

Flexible schedule, Management doesn't expect much from employee.... Country club environment

Cons

Poor Management, Lack of leadership. Extremely poor benefits package, worst wage/merit compensation....

Advice to Management

Wake up

9. General Dynamics is an average government contracting company, with all the benefits and limitations of a large company.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is stable and provides reasonable benefits. The salary ranges favor younger employee.

Cons

There is not a lot of support for training for more senior employees. Engineers tend to get pigeon holed into a role.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, especially if they have been loyal, have a history of excellent work, and have demonstrated a commitment to staying current in technology. Salaries need to track cost of living at least.

10. Just sign this so we can keep these parts moving.

Former Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a decent group of people, and I enjoyed being around most of them. Compensation was fine for the Midwest.

Cons

The culture is entirely about keeping parts moving toward shipping. The normal response to a defect is to keep processing while the customer documents their acceptance of the failure. The entire company seems to have skipped school the day they talked about "continuous improvement." Management does not tolerate questions or any challenge of decisions. It's a very 1960's organization and culture. They mention the word "team" but being a team player means only that you do what you're told - what management wants. It's a demoralizing, stifling culture that drains the life out if anyone who wants to contribute to making the place better.

Advice to Management

Grow up. You're not smarter than the people working for you. And just because you talked your way into jobs you weren't qualified for doesn't make you right. And try to remember there are facts, and when you don't know something, those other thoughts you have are called "opinions" - and they aren't the same thing. Just because you're thinking something doesn't make it right.

11. Very "middle of the road" experience working here.

Current Employee - Conguration Analyst in Fort Campbell, KY
    Current Employee - Conguration Analyst in Fort Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very fast recruitment process. First Line Supervisor was very helpful in assisting with company related issues.

Cons

No additional training provided to enhance job skills of those that work there. Unwilling to provide support to employees when a conflict arises between contract and government.

Advice to Management

Don't take the word of the customer always as gospel. Sometimes the civilians making the complaints need to be held accountable for their messages and due diligence should be provided to the employees of the company before punitive measures are put in place due to false allegations.

General Dynamics Photos