General Dynamics

General Dynamics Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic

Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented(in 9 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs(in 10 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills(in 6 reviews)

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Coralville, IA

ProsA lot of earned time off(not paid), personal time off(not paid) opportunities.

ConsCustomer Service Representatives are told to use scripts, which are not always helping consumers. Getting customers more angrier because simple tasks are too hard to do with the systems that do not support actual needs for customers. Be ready to be yelled at, cussed at for things that you are supposed to do but cannot be done.

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEvery business unit operates completely different. I was not in a good business unit.

ConsNo leadership. Just million dollar babies who manage their bonuses and not the businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe career by chrony is so destructive.

Coercive rather than collaborative culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThere are no pros to working for this company

ConsThis is not a Team environment

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the coercive executives in the organization and replace them with collaborative executives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was terrible!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Sandy, UT

ProsThe pay and benefits were incredible.

ConsManagement didn't care about their employees. The would bend the rules only if they knew it would benefit them Micro management is immature and unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know how to do their job instead of just guessing and pretending. Look into what type of person they are. Are they a person who loves power and will take advantage of people? Or are they a great leader who would do right and ensure a positive environment?

Until the last 3 years General Dynamics was a company that was dynamic and on the cutting edge of technology.

Principal Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood work environment with top notch professionals.

ConsMerit raises cancelled, poor financial management, design by committee.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on understanding what your people are doing for you. Can't count the number of times my manager, when I saw him, did not have a clue as to the task he had assigned me.

If you are a Frat Boy this one is for you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHas Government contracts only because they bought the companies with the contracts

ConsAll Frat boys in the leadership, if you are not one of them you will never get anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your identical 4 door porsche's and get a clue you have talented personnel thatmigh tnot have been in yoru Frat.

Director levels have no clue what the work bees are doing, at times even direct reports

Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) Towson, MD

ProsCasual dress.
    Work and family balance are decent.

ConsAs employee benefits are cut, upper management pay and bonuses improve.
    Employees are treated like contractors that can be easily replaced even the ones with unique and rare skill sets.
    Takes upto 2 years to replace key employees that move on.
    Micro manager hell. When 8 out of 10 managers quit because of one new director do you really think all the managers of 15+ years of service where the issue?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. You might realize we have passion behind what we do. Not all of us are trying to get something for nothing. Directors need to know what the department does.

Worst place I have ever worked

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Pittsfield, MA

ProsFlex time, is about all they have to offer

ConsPoor to no benefits, insurance options are terrible, Home Depot has much better insurance even for part timers

Advice to Senior Managementget a grip and start treating your employees like people

Mediocrity rules at what used to be a great company!

ProsSome extremely talented people in the industry have worked there at one time or another.

ConsThe extremely talented people have left, either voluntarily or not. Mediocrity ensures that you will have a long life at GD. Weak middle management continues to foster that environment. Social ties trump merit. The HR department protects itself. Belt-tightening efforts have cut muscle and bone, rather than fat. What it is left is complete inertia.

Advice to Senior ManagementElevate employees who have proven themselves, rather than those who have marked time at the company. Put people in place who can actually implement the corporate vision, not micromanage to death what is already working.

No Growth, Managment does not how to correct ship

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsWork hours, Location of facility

ConsNo growth. Management has no idea how to grow new customers and can only focus on US Army.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some new blood into the organization from top to bottom.

Worked for General Dynamics? Contribute to the Community!