www.generaldynamics.com

Updated October 9, 2014
3.2

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic
Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented (in 10 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs (in 12 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

CSR

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Coralville, IA

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of earned time off(not paid), personal time off(not paid) opportunities.

Cons

Customer Service Representatives are told to use scripts, which are not always helping consumers. Getting customers more angrier because simple tasks are too hard to do with the systems that do not support actual needs for customers. Be ready to be yelled at, cussed at for things that you are supposed to do but cannot be done.

Disappointing

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every business unit operates completely different. I was not in a good business unit.

Cons

No leadership. Just million dollar babies who manage their bonuses and not the businesses.

The career by chrony is so destructive.

Bloated overhead

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

Large company with some security and good salaries

Cons

A lot of overhead and not much accountability for many. Micro managers fun your life more than policy.

Adapt to modern thinking, flex schedules etc.

Good company to start out with.

Former Employee - Risk Coordinator in California, MD
    Former Employee - Risk Coordinator in California, MD

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people employed by General Dynamics are great, and always willing to share their knowledge. Every employee I met was one of the most knowledgeable in their field if not the best.

Cons

Management wasn't the strongest, several of them didn't seem happy to be there or didn't want management jobs in the first place. Some folks who were management and wanted to be there left me mystified with their decisions. Heard stories about team leads hired on after I left running things into the ground. Gentleman who became my director shortly before I left changed his attitude completely after announcing I was leaving for another company. What surprised me was months earlier he told me to move up in the industry, I'd have to get experience on different projects and I wouldn't be able to get that at General Dynamics. Raises were pretty small as well, that was part of why I left.

There's a decent amount of younger talent at General Dynamics who are ready to take the reigns or help out elsewhere, but no one wants to give them a shot. Lot of folks are getting close to retirement, somebody has to take their place. Take the time and help the younger talent grow and learn more about different areas/divisions of the company

Thankful for the job but management lacked.

Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at General Dynamics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

the experience, the people, the benefits, the compensation, the hours, the location.

Cons

Horrible HR, pointless management and some of them were highly unprofessional. Supervisors didn't know how to help. CSR knew more about what we did than the actual supervisors. The training could have been better and they could have been a bit more selective with who they offered employment to. I couldn't help but notice the place filled with people with questionable past and supervisors and managers that lacked highly in people skills. The leadership gets a D-.

Be more honest. More considering and more selective with who you high as floor managers at the centers.

Constant Sexual Harassment

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I thought that it was an okay experience but overall I'd rather work somewhere else and spend my life doing better things.

Cons

Constant sexual harassment and violation of rights as a human being. I would recommend not abusing future employees. I think this was extremely unprofessional and I have not encountered this type of misconduct in my professional career. If you are a female please consider another place of employment. You will be subject to unrelenting sexual harassment be forewarned.

10 years at General Dynamics

Current Employee - BD and Marketing in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - BD and Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong technology and manufacturing company. Broad range of programs and capabilities. High growth in Gulfstream business jet segment. Programs include ships, submarines, combat vehicles, and business jets.

Cons

The defense businesses at General Dynamics are under stress due to sequestration and a shrinking defense budget. The surge in commercial business jets, however, is helping to pick up the slack.

Continue growth in commercial business jets and incorporate new technologies.

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

The benefits are really good.. A decent pay .. a good starting point

Cons

Like every where else you find those who will not give you two sense as well as those who will try their best at helping.

I find that GD really lacks in training, that their job titles do not match the job you are actually doing, positions are more segregated so when you are looking for another positions with the same title you are lacking the skills you need to acquire it.

Lacking in communications from supervisors on the job to management

Depending on what you are doing outgrowing this company is not impossible

Better communications

Free meals a Plus

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Falls Church, VA

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the corporate office your meals are provided, it's a great benefit as there is nothing within walking distance.

Cons

It's an old boys club type of company.

Any port in a storm, they were hiring in the Texas mid-80s depression, a time of 17% unemployment.

Former Employee - Technical Writer IV in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer IV in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at the F-16 Program in Ft. Worth, now Lockheed Martin. Excellent employee stock purchase plan, if you want the share certificates they will mail them to you.

Cons

Stodgy, good old boy ex-military mgmt. structure, it really helps to be ex-Air Force. Terrible Union relations, wanted salaried employees to work unpaid after hrs. as security guard during strikes. Strict, authoritarian corporate culture & workplace atmosphere. Salary so low I acquired a 39% raise for the exact same job relocating to CA.

Like all aerospace it needs to be more of a meritocracy. Upper mgmt. needs to improve communication from the top down & across the board.

General Dynamics Photos