General Dynamics

General Dynamics Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic

Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented (in 9 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs (in 10 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Management expectation

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Fort Bragg, NC

ProsExactly where motivated retired soldiers who have wartime experience need to be

ConsFirst line supervisors that do not have any leadership abilities

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to stop the harassment by lower level bosses and listen to their employees instead of just screaming at them

Great the first week only, then they throw you to the wolves.

Temporary Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) London, KY

ProsExcellent benefits, excellent coworkers, lunch perks when the team does well, funny contests and videos.

ConsStressful work environment, backwards training ~ requiring the company to force you to redo training and "unlearn" one set of rules to another each week, attendance points set to punish those who have to take off work for doctor visits or bad weather, zero communication between management, misinformation in training, rushed training, double-talk, constant threats to job security, zero communication for employees looking to gain a step up, faulty programs like NGD (Next Generation Desktop) and Deltek, unorganized practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized. Figure out ONE list of rules and stick to it. Stop forcing us to retrain every other week, just because you hired incompetent trainers and utilized outdated books. If you could have bothered getting our training right day one, we wouldn't need "Desk 2 Desks" and CUP topics.

Stop inventing new ways to fire people. We are all happy to abide by your silly dress code (seriously, WHO can see us over a PHONE??) and we all agreed not to swear, own paper and cell phones on the floor, do drugs or otherwise act stupid. But by assigning "attendance points" for those of us who've been sick or couldn't make it to work due to weather, you are in fact punishing us for REAL LIFE. Permanently stop it. NOW. We are not robots, we're human beings with lives outside of the call center.

Trust me, if I was a parent, and I had to choose between wasting 8 hours being screamed at over the phone, and threatened by the incompetent managers you hired in ~ most of whom have NO phone experience AT ALL, or spending the day in a clinic making sure my kid is healthy, guess what? Junior WILL take precedence. Don't like it? Too bad. But punishing me over something you acknowledge I have no control over is at best misguided, but above all, very unprofessional.

Update your material. I failed two calls, back to back, for not reading a script... that did not exist. That's right! Your "quality" team failed me for not reading an appeals script that was NEVER written. HOW can I read an imaginary script??

Pay attention to your feedback. Stop sending me these copy-and-paste responses, like "Thank you for your concern. We will share this with CMS" and start addressing the issues. Own up to them. We CSR's want to help overblown companies like yours to stay afloat. We don't want to see another company go belly up as we badly need jobs. But if you refuse to communicate with us, then it's nearly impossible to help you.

Stop harassing me because I didn't take overtime. I have a real life, one that includes other human beings, namely family members. You already see me over 8 hours a day (since these calls can rarely wrap up in under 10 minutes) you don't need me to work an additional 4-6 hours on top of that. Some of the other CSR's already pull their weight at 10-11 hour shifts, and certainly help each other more than a "floor walker" can, so stop trying to push them to stay over on top of that.

Stop inventing new hoops to jump through. It's obvious you need people. The fact that you have between 14-16 call centers, each with 600-1000 employees, all working on the Health Insurance Marketplace, and yet you only have 200 people total, doing ISG and ARC for all of us, is nothing short of pathetic. If the abysmal waiting period isn't bad enough, it's that a majority of the 200 don't want to do their jobs at all. Yet if we fail a call, and fail to consult these "wizards" of the call center, you dangle it over our heads that we "may never" get hired on as a "real" CSR, and may remain as temps until your next layoff. Once more, you need US more than we need you. And considering my electric bill this month, the fact you need me more is frightening. I needed to earn cash honestly, but at least I have options. Now that the London branch is more than half empty, it is clear you are understaffed, and in danger of losing this contract. Stop acting like an 11 year old little girl in a clique, get your act together, and hire more people on as permanent CSR's. Ditch the temp jobs until Christmas.

Stop inventing "priority days" to further punish those who have to blow a Monday for a doctor visit. We already have a high call volume in a fast environment, we don't need the added stress of being threatened an extra 5 points, just because you feel like it.

I have learned a lot with my Colleagues and good company to work with.

Network Technician (Current Employee) White Oak, MD

Prosmost employees are knowledgeable and management are understanding.

ConsI didn't find any downside yet.

Advice to Senior Managementupper management are understand and help employees to achieve their goals.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

ProsA positive, friendly work climate

ConsThe benefits could be better

comprehensive experience directing Operations and Intelligence through strategic planning

Strategic Planner (Current Employee) Fort Belvoir, VA

ProsA team builder and a team player capable of implementing best practices by motivating staff members to peak performance.

ConsCompany does not promote from within and there are no longevity bonuses or promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote form within

GD timeLand Systems was a family of teamworking associates, helping each other to grow in cross training.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsGrowth within the company objectives.

Consflex time for job targets completions.

Advice to Senior Managementteamwork mades good associate relationship.

Program Management

Program Manager (Former Employee) Taunton, MA

ProsGreat People, great benefits, good work

ConsHR needs help!! Needs to be removed!

Advice to Senior ManagementLooks to see what the people are saying, and listen instead of ignoring

Pays well

Material Handler (Former Employee) Auburn, WA

Prosgood pay, Work is not real hard.People friendly

ConsContractors treated differently. Contractors always walk on egg shells driving forklifts.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat all employees the same .Contractors and full time employees.

Typical fortune 500 company

Program Analyst (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGood fit if your a golden child

ConsManagement needs to go back to management 101

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some humanity not everyone can learn the same way

Salary and award structure for this contract was "above average" for this time period.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA

ProsPeople, location, and exciting project to work on.

ConsThe way the company handled the mass layoffs that affected most could have been handled differently.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter marketing and building stronger relationships with Customer.

Worked for General Dynamics? Contribute to the Community!