General Dynamics

Updated August 12, 2014

2.9

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic
Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented (in 9 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs (in 10 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

If you are a Frat Boy this one is for you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Has Government contracts only because they bought the companies with the contracts

Cons

All Frat boys in the leadership, if you are not one of them you will never get anywhere.

Get rid of your identical 4 door porsche's and get a clue you have talented personnel thatmigh tnot have been in yoru Frat.

Run away from this place!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative for the ACA  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative for the ACA in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Benefits, great co workers, nice parking garage.

Cons

Middle management and training-supervisors are very unprofessional and they do not all follow the same set of rules, some supervisors look away for unprofessional behavior and attendance, while others will write you up or give points for any reason at all. I also think you should be able to do the job in order to supervise the job, telling me to look up an answer because you don't know it does not inspire loyalty. HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs. This job was a complete nightmare. Run, don't walk, to another company. This building was a nightmare also, several bedbug infestations, overflowing toilets, too hot or too cold all the time. Terrible equipment.

Try hiring supervisors that are professionals. Stop taking orders from other locations. TRAIN your people. Understand that it is a hard job to apologize over and over and not have the ability to actually fix anything.

Professional Mechanical Engineer

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Chanllenging and technical work environment

Cons

Slow down in business environment

Solicit new market for products

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice company to work for

Former Employee - Administrator Support  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Administrator Support in McLean, VA

Pros

the Benefits and the 401 very good, better than others

Cons

Really don't have no cons to go with.

I have none

Management expectation

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Fort Bragg, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Fort Bragg, NC

Pros

Exactly where motivated retired soldiers who have wartime experience need to be

Cons

First line supervisors that do not have any leadership abilities

Middle management needs to stop the harassment by lower level bosses and listen to their employees instead of just screaming at them

I have learned a lot with my Colleagues and good company to work with.

Current Employee - Network Technician  in  White Oak, MD
    Current Employee - Network Technician in White Oak, MD

Pros

most employees are knowledgeable and management are understanding.

Cons

I didn't find any downside yet.

upper management are understand and help employees to achieve their goals.

Program Management

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Taunton, MA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Taunton, MA

Pros

Great People, great benefits, good work

Cons

HR needs help!! Needs to be removed!

Looks to see what the people are saying, and listen instead of ignoring

Great the first week only, then they throw you to the wolves.

Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative  in  London, KY
    Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in London, KY

Pros

Excellent benefits, excellent coworkers, lunch perks when the team does well, funny contests and videos.

Cons

Stressful work environment, backwards training ~ requiring the company to force you to redo training and "unlearn" one set of rules to another each week, attendance points set to punish those who have to take off work for doctor visits or bad weather, zero communication between management, misinformation in training, rushed training, double-talk, constant threats to job security, zero communication for employees looking to gain a step up, faulty programs like NGD (Next Generation Desktop) and Deltek, unorganized practices.

Get organized. Figure out ONE list of rules and stick to it. Stop forcing us to retrain every other week, just because you hired incompetent trainers and utilized outdated books. If you could have bothered getting our training right day one, we wouldn't need "Desk 2 Desks" and CUP topics.

Stop inventing new ways to fire people. We are all happy to abide by your silly dress code (seriously, WHO can see us over a PHONE??) and we all agreed not to swear, own paper and cell phones on the floor, do drugs or otherwise act stupid. But by assigning "attendance points" for those of us who've been sick or couldn't make it to work due to weather, you are in fact punishing us for REAL LIFE. Permanently stop it. NOW. We are not robots, we're human beings with lives outside of the call center.

Trust me, if I was a parent, and I had to choose between wasting 8 hours being screamed at over the phone, and threatened by the incompetent managers you hired in ~ most of whom have NO phone experience AT ALL, or spending the day in a clinic making sure my kid is healthy, guess what? Junior WILL take precedence. Don't like it? Too bad. But punishing me over something you acknowledge I have no control over is at best misguided, but above all, very unprofessional.

Update your material. I failed two calls, back to back, for not reading a script... that did not exist. That's right! Your "quality" team failed me for not reading an appeals script that was NEVER written. HOW can I read an imaginary script??

Pay attention to your feedback. Stop sending me these copy-and-paste responses, like "Thank you for your concern. We will share this with CMS" and start addressing the issues. Own up to them. We CSR's want to help overblown companies like yours to stay afloat. We don't want to see another company go belly up as we badly need jobs. But if you refuse to communicate with us, then it's nearly impossible to help you.

Stop harassing me because I didn't take overtime. I have a real life, one that includes other human beings, namely family members. You already see me over 8 hours a day (since these calls can rarely wrap up in under 10 minutes) you don't need me to work an additional 4-6 hours on top of that. Some of the other CSR's already pull their weight at 10-11 hour shifts, and certainly help each other more than a "floor walker" can, so stop trying to push them to stay over on top of that.

Stop inventing new hoops to jump through. It's obvious you need people. The fact that you have between 14-16 call centers, each with 600-1000 employees, all working on the Health Insurance Marketplace, and yet you only have 200 people total, doing ISG and ARC for all of us, is nothing short of pathetic. If the abysmal waiting period isn't bad enough, it's that a majority of the 200 don't want to do their jobs at all. Yet if we fail a call, and fail to consult these "wizards" of the call center, you dangle it over our heads that we "may never" get hired on as a "real" CSR, and may remain as temps until your next layoff. Once more, you need US more than we need you. And considering my electric bill this month, the fact you need me more is frightening. I needed to earn cash honestly, but at least I have options. Now that the London branch is more than half empty, it is clear you are understaffed, and in danger of losing this contract. Stop acting like an 11 year old little girl in a clique, get your act together, and hire more people on as permanent CSR's. Ditch the temp jobs until Christmas.

Stop inventing "priority days" to further punish those who have to blow a Monday for a doctor visit. We already have a high call volume in a fast environment, we don't need the added stress of being threatened an extra 5 points, just because you feel like it.

Great company to work for

Pros

A positive, friendly work climate

Cons

The benefits could be better

comprehensive experience directing Operations and Intelligence through strategic planning

Current Employee - Strategic Planner  in  Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Strategic Planner in Fort Belvoir, VA

Pros

A team builder and a team player capable of implementing best practices by motivating staff members to peak performance.

Cons

Company does not promote from within and there are no longevity bonuses or promotions

Promote form within

Worked for General Dynamics? Contribute to the Community!