www.generaldynamics.com

Updated December 9, 2014
3.1

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic
Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented (in 11 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs (in 12 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to start out with.

Former Employee - Risk Coordinator in California, MD
    Former Employee - Risk Coordinator in California, MD

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people employed by General Dynamics are great, and always willing to share their knowledge. Every employee I met was one of the most knowledgeable in their field if not the best.

Cons

Management wasn't the strongest, several of them didn't seem happy to be there or didn't want management jobs in the first place. Some folks who were management and wanted to be there left me mystified with their decisions. Heard stories about team leads hired on after I left running things into the ground. Gentleman who became my director shortly before I left changed his attitude completely after announcing I was leaving for another company. What surprised me was months earlier he told me to move up in the industry, I'd have to get experience on different projects and I wouldn't be able to get that at General Dynamics. Raises were pretty small as well, that was part of why I left.

There's a decent amount of younger talent at General Dynamics who are ready to take the reigns or help out elsewhere, but no one wants to give them a shot. Lot of folks are getting close to retirement, somebody has to take their place. Take the time and help the younger talent grow and learn more about different areas/divisions of the company

Thankful for the job but management lacked.

Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at General Dynamics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

the experience, the people, the benefits, the compensation, the hours, the location.

Cons

Horrible HR, pointless management and some of them were highly unprofessional. Supervisors didn't know how to help. CSR knew more about what we did than the actual supervisors. The training could have been better and they could have been a bit more selective with who they offered employment to. I couldn't help but notice the place filled with people with questionable past and supervisors and managers that lacked highly in people skills. The leadership gets a D-.

Be more honest. More considering and more selective with who you high as floor managers at the centers.

Constant Sexual Harassment

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I thought that it was an okay experience but overall I'd rather work somewhere else and spend my life doing better things.

Cons

Constant sexual harassment and violation of rights as a human being. I would recommend not abusing future employees. I think this was extremely unprofessional and I have not encountered this type of misconduct in my professional career. If you are a female please consider another place of employment. You will be subject to unrelenting sexual harassment be forewarned.

10 years at General Dynamics

Current Employee - BD and Marketing in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - BD and Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong technology and manufacturing company. Broad range of programs and capabilities. High growth in Gulfstream business jet segment. Programs include ships, submarines, combat vehicles, and business jets.

Cons

The defense businesses at General Dynamics are under stress due to sequestration and a shrinking defense budget. The surge in commercial business jets, however, is helping to pick up the slack.

Continue growth in commercial business jets and incorporate new technologies.

I have been working at General Dynamics

Pros

The benefits are really good.. A decent pay .. a good starting point

Cons

Like every where else you find those who will not give you two sense as well as those who will try their best at helping.

I find that GD really lacks in training, that their job titles do not match the job you are actually doing, positions are more segregated so when you are looking for another positions with the same title you are lacking the skills you need to acquire it.

Lacking in communications from supervisors on the job to management

Depending on what you are doing outgrowing this company is not impossible

Better communications

Free meals a Plus

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Falls Church, VA

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the corporate office your meals are provided, it's a great benefit as there is nothing within walking distance.

Cons

It's an old boys club type of company.

Eh

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Panama City, FL

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for my area. A lot of the people I worked with were nice.

Cons

It was boring. They expected you to be very unemotional and rigid. We were also told that we were making a part of history and that the site would stay open but then the same person handed us notices informing us that we were being let go. A terrible way to go about it.

People aren't perfect. They make mistakes. It's a part of life. People also have other duties of equal or more importance. Management needs to be understanding of this and be willing to at least try to work something out. If management won't work with people then they shouldn't get any special treatment either.

Any port in a storm, they were hiring in the Texas mid-80s depression, a time of 17% unemployment.

Former Employee - Technical Writer IV in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer IV in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at the F-16 Program in Ft. Worth, now Lockheed Martin. Excellent employee stock purchase plan, if you want the share certificates they will mail them to you.

Cons

Stodgy, good old boy ex-military mgmt. structure, it really helps to be ex-Air Force. Terrible Union relations, wanted salaried employees to work unpaid after hrs. as security guard during strikes. Strict, authoritarian corporate culture & workplace atmosphere. Salary so low I acquired a 39% raise for the exact same job relocating to CA.

Like all aerospace it needs to be more of a meritocracy. Upper mgmt. needs to improve communication from the top down & across the board.

Decent company to work for, if you're young

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provide great life-work balance, Flex-80 is like a 9/80 schedule but they allow you to make up missed time over 2 weeks to minimize PTO. It’s very nice to have some freedom of when you work (starting and leaving) providing you hit the critical meetings and support your projects. There are some great, smart talented people that work here and interacting with them is a real pleasure.
    The pay and 401K match is average but not outstanding.

Cons

It wasn’t first apparent, but with the decline of the government work/contracts you can begin to see the dis-functionality of upper management. The company is run like an upside-down pyramid. It’s normal to cut lower level employees and engineers to an extent, but when 50+% of the work force are cut, and not one manager above the engineering level is affected what does that mean? How could that possibly be related to horrendous overhead rates?!? (Note sarcasm)

If you are an engineer you will be part of a “caste” system. There is a clear hierarchy that is not as apparent between departs as it is shown by management… specific departs were “pay leveled” by management, while others were given assurances their department wouldn’t get hit. – This makes sense based on your business model and technical products, but don’t claim to function as a “team” when there are clear favorites. (I am trying to be unbiased – I did NOT get pay adjusted)

For a business to be successful there is a clear critical mass that needs to be maintained between the elder, “knowledgeable/experienced” people and those young enough to adapt to change, offer different perspectives etc… We are below critical mass and there is little to no conduit to transfer “tribal knowledge”. Morale is rock bottom because there are no optimistic actions taken by this company to show appreciate for their workers. If you show the people respect they will WANT to work for you, not HAVE to work for you…

Coercive rather than collaborative culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at General Dynamics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company

Cons

This is not a Team environment

Get rid of the coercive executives in the organization and replace them with collaborative executives

General Dynamics Photos