General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies

General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

It was a great place to learn.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe job was very interesting. I learned a lot about technology that most people completely dismiss on a day to day basis.

ConsThis company is a great place to work. But, I just had to leave. After 13 years I just didn't get the same fulfillment anymore. If the top pay was better I could probably put up with a few more years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on track with other pay scales from other companies. If you've got a good employee, try to keep him or her happy. If he or she is not a good employee... Get rid of them. Dead weight really hurts the bottom line. Which in turn hurts a good employees top pay.

Learned a lot, but outlook and management are poor.

Test Technician (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsThere are opportunities to get with senior technicians and personnel and learn a lot from them.

ConsThey treat contractors poorly, poor management, poorly managed projects, poor treatment of military customers and their contracts.

Looks like the end of a great company.

Too Much Info (Current Employee)
    Newton, NC

ProsGreat team (what's left of them), Great location.

ConsPoor management. Only interested in bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disheartening

Kilgore, TX

ProsI don't think there are any good reasons to work for GDSATCOM any more.

ConsAs others have mentioned the management is the largest problem. All of management acts as if their hands are tied and they have no ability to make any kind of change. To follow that up they have the Nazi IT department from Hades. Don't expect to get anything out of them in a timely manner - they'll just dump more and more paperwork on you so your request will be buried.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy it back from GD. This company was so much better as VertexRSI. Get rid of highest tier of mangement (if they're even still there), and beg the old GM from Kilgore (Jeff) to come back and run the show.

A great work place if you do not want an increase in pay or career advancement

Duluth, GA

ProsYour Employed, you have a job and cograts!

ConsThe text book wrong way to run a company!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement. You are the Problem!

Good old boys club that is finally imploding.

Johns Creek, GA

ProsTalented individuals. Supportive of family obligations and time off. Employees are great and in many ways like a family.

ConsManagement sucks; it's who you know not what you know that gets promotions. Most skilled employees are over looked for who kisses the most butt. Useless people are kept on because of their length of employment not their contributions (hello HR).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to vet your managers before just shoving them in roles they are not equipped to handle. Pay attention to employee feed back and stop telling people to be glad they have jobs. Appreciate the worker bees.

Antenna Systems Technician

Multiple Positions (Former Employee)
    Kilgore, TX

ProsNone to speak of in the past 3 years. Latest set of Managers caused more dissent among employees at all levels. Ethics and truth are merely punchlines and catch phrases in an overindulgence of meetings about what to do and not doing anything or moving in reverse.
    Bad decision making causing many unnecessary hours of overtime, plummeted even further when other facility managers wee brought in to "fix" Things. Personalty I don't think that there was much honestty moving upwards as well.

ConsWorked with many great minds between technicians and engineers over a vast array of products and projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith other facilities closing you can now move on and damage another communities economy and workers morlale. please move on and sell it to someone that will invest in the people and community like Vertex once did.

Layoffs of experienced workers replaced by temporaries.

ProsNot so many now.
    Layoffs and more layoffs.
    Good engineers jumped ship to another company.

ConsNo raises for some non salary people for years since hired. But more duties piled on.
    Friends with management get raises and promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that the workers who put together your systems make your systems possible.

Wasted Years of a good person

Radio Frequency Technician II (Former Employee)
    Kilgore, TX

Prossome smart people in a bad place

Consbuddy system ,favoritism,poor leardership,mis manaement

Advice to Senior Managementchange your ways on how you move people up that do not have the experience to manage or be a leader . most of these people do not have the leadership skills to do the job that they are (GIVEN) and they did not earn this position .this not a way to run a company not unless you want to run it into the ground and tht is where it is heading.

Decent Job, Until a Turn for the Worst

Newton, NC

Pros- Location (Don't have to work in downtown Charlotte)
    - Opportunities for growth (Until recently)

Cons- Over time, the lack of foresight and the inherent "looking out for number one" attitude of senior management has made working at this company a horrible experience.
    - The amount of hours that need to be put in to work here is aggregious.
    - Lack of a professional work culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe time is coming soon where you will have to sleep in the bed you have made. Eventually, there will be no more mid-level staff upon which to pass blame.

Worked for General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies reviews and ratings. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies employees.