General Employment Enterprises

3.4
Andrew Norstrud

1. Fast-paced atmosphere, that is rewarding but is WORK

Current Employee - Recruiter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at General Employment Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These guys know there stuff, and I have learned so much in a short time. Lots of training, but you are expected to apply the training you learn and grow. Great daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly contests - Including trips. Those are revolved around production....so to be there you are expected to make placements. You will be on the phone - but that allows you to learn the market from all angles. You are handling both sides of the deal which means you are in control of the applicants and the employers needs and filling them. There is a base plus commission (some previous posts say otherwise). It's a graduated rate up to 50%.

Cons

It is an open environment and can get loud, so you have to be able to be comfortable with that and this also requires you to be doing what is expected of you - making phone calls to companies, interviewing applicants. I believe it is designed that way to promote your hot needs, and make sure everyone can be on the same page - But could be distracting.

Advice to Management

More role-playing, and sales training.

2. Columbus Location is Disapointing

Pros

They do get you interviews for jobs with great titles. If I was actually able to interview for the position, from what I know about it, I would have been happy to get it.

Cons

I was not allowed to know any details about a position that they wanted me to interview for. After about 12 emails, I was finally able to get a 2 sentence description about the position. 13 minutes after receiving that in an email, I received a very unprofessional phone call from them. I was yelled at and insulted all because I wanted the information about the position before I scheduled the interview. When I told them that, they called my emergency contact for absolutely no reason. They had the information about the position, but they said that they weren't going to give me even a basic description of the position until 1 hour before the interview. I have never seen any company like General Employment do that, and I was not happy with how they handled the situation, so I will no longer do business with them.

Advice to Management

Allow the people who you are trying to find jobs for to know the details of the position when you get the details and not 1 hour before an interview. Not one person in the office at General Employment's Columbus office knows the ins and outs of computer networking. There is no reason for keeping this very basic information secret. Also, make sure that your employees can not abuse the emergency contact information to try to force someone to schedule an interview. They have also been very slow in finding positions for me (it took about 2 months just to hear anything). If they are understaffed, which they were, this needs fixed immediately if you want to keep people's business.

Oct 2, 2014 – Marketing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're disappointed we did not provide a better experience when you worked with our recruiters to find a new job. Your feedback gives us the ... More

3. Great opportunity - Learn something new everyday and make a lot of $

Current Employee - Recruiter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at General Employment Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They take time to cultivate talent and develop competitive, outgoing personalities into industry leading producers. You have limitless potential for income. Great hours and incentives - contests, trips, and prizes. Very honest and ethical group of people with some of the best management in the business. You can learn a lot from the people in this company who take time and develop you. It is sales so you must produce, but that is what makes it most exciting - no 3% raise on a salary, no long hours and weekends, in this company you control your destiny and also your income.

Cons

A higher contract margin would be great but overall this company is fair!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!

Oct 2, 2014 – Marketing Director

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We're excited to be working with a passionate team of employees as we work towards a great future. As a company, we place high value on giving our ... More

5. Happy Days of General Employment

Former Employee - Personnel Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Personnel Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at General Employment Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. The hours are pretty standard with very few evenings and weekends. Great sales incentives and challenges.

Cons

The position is straight commission. The employer is not very understanding if you need to take time off and is not flexible with hours. You will be terminated from the position if you do not produce results.

Advice to Management

Be understanding of your employees' lives outside of the office.

6. General Employment has given me every opportunity and all the tools that I need to be successful.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Woburn, MA

Pros

Unbeatable compensation potential. BEST commission structure in the industry. Unmatched training from people that are currently doing the job. If you are a hard worked and have an internal drive to succeed this is the place for you to realize your true potential.

Cons

The only downsides are your own personal limitations. This job is as close to pure capitalism as you can get. If you work hard and put in the effort you will realize the rewards. If you are looking for someone to meet you half way this will not be the place for you. There is no glory for those who what to do 99% of the job.

Advice to Management

General Employment has a history of grooming some of the best leaders in the industry. Keep looking for the new blood that will be the 40 year success stories 40+ years from now.

7. General Employment works for me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

General Employment has given me the opportunity to fulfill all of my career aspirations. If you desire a job that allows you to perform sales, marketing and communication in 1 move, this is the place for you. Management support is very good and they allow unique ideas to be assessed. The ability to think "outside the box" has allowed me to professionally flourish. I highly advise a recruiter to look into job with this great company. I know I'll be here forever due to the salary, work schedule and support of upper management in theses times. Great job; great company.

Cons

Located in Scottsdale, its a hike for me. But thats my fault.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work

Bad News, Company On Last Leg

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

Pros

Can earn decent money if your self motivated. Company has been successful for many decades until the last year or so. I wish I could write more Pros, but I can't think of any right now. Company used to be made up of great people trying to accomplish great things, but we’ve really lost our direction. It’s sad, and with the new management it’s even worse. We hired a new operational guy that may understand the industry, but I think too little too late.

Cons

New CEO doesn’t understand, or seem to care to understand our industry. He never talks to the peon's like us, the people who are keeping this company alive, I guess we’re not “corporate" enough. If he did he’d know how detrimental it was to lose our new ATS system. All of our data (candidate and client information) was lost! This cost me huge. Months of data entry lost, and no one seems to really care. Now they want us to sign these really aggressive non-compete employment agreements tying us down, while reducing our commission rates. That’s the straw that broke the camels back for me. New management seems to think that new software, new policies and new agreements will make this company successful. It won't, perhaps marketing, training, and a Corporate staff that knows the business would be a good place to start. Super disappointed with our new direction and management.

Advice to Management

Just tell us what’s going on, the press releases say the future is bright, while the financials say were losing millions over the last 18 months. It seems like our future is getting far worse not better. Please put someone in charge of the company who knows the industry and is passionate about the company. I came to work here to earn a decent living and hopefully enjoy my profession. Unfortunately, both of those things are quickly going away.

Oct 2, 2014 – Marketing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As a company, we're always striving to improve, and so we take reviews seriously. We understand that there has been internal change at our company ... More

Not a place I would recommend

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

Pros

Good at getting you to move out of your comfort zone and take action toward goals. Would stand over you and push you to make calls.

Cons

Very little support or training from management. Very much like a boiler room environment. Embarrassing when meeting with clients and someone would be yelling out an order or ringing a bell.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing employees and client relationships. Listen to your employees and have some flexibility with fees and guarantees.

RSS Feed </> Embed