General Growth Properties

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

General Growth Properties CEO Sandeep Mathrani
Sandeep Mathrani

Pros
  • There was growth opportunities in addition to a great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits - the pay is decent (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no clear direction from upper management and the "fire drills" for information or tasks never end (in 6 reviews)

• Middle management tend to be time management gurus but fear "reorganization" so they are not honest when reporting up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly, supportive and caring company

Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Having been employed by GGP for the past 3 years I have really enjoyed the company culture and their strong passion to give back. The company provides in-house volunteer opportunities (during the work day) and paid time off for the employee’s to participate. It also recognizes work/life balance by offering summer hours, everyday jeans and our ability to leave early the day before the holidays. On top of that, the company cares about your opinion and you are strongly encouraged to share your ideas. The CEO makes himself available by hosting employee calls and gives us an opportunity to ask him questions and they are constantly rolling our different ways to engage employees through employee engagement survey’s, culture sessions, our values, marketing games and opportunities to meet other employee’s.

Cons

If you didn’t’ know, GGP did file bankruptcy a few years ago and has since recovered. Early on during my tenure you could feel the silo’s old v/s new GGP considering a brand new leadership was brought in; since then the silos have been breaking down and I do feel the company’s HADTO values and culture sessions have helped. I would encourage making the Culture Leadership Team more visible to employees. We hear about the things they do but would be great if we they could host roundtables with the employees to help promote idea sharing. As for IT, I think it’s great this company invests so much into technology and constantly hear new apps are being rolled out to help us make better decisions. Rather than only e-mailing the updates it would be great for IT to host a session to talk about the recent updates and how to use them.

For Leadership – continue doing what you do and making yourselves available to us, the more this continues I think the rest will follow.

Company was great before it went into bankruptcy

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at General Growth Properties

Pros

All of the benefits including time off and health care was great. I loved the training that was offered.

Cons

No control over keeping my job.

Consider how restructuring affects your employees.

Great people, poorly managed, sad... company had great potential.

I have been working at General Growth Properties

Pros

The co-workers are great people.

Cons

The management is lost and in need of a mall directory

Overall a good company

I worked at General Growth Properties

Pros

The company offers great benefits overall.

Cons

Not much to say - there is always change.

Great company to work

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life is balanced with personal life.

Cons

No room for growth in department, but an opportunity to learn more.

Summer Accounting Intern

Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at General Growth Properties as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed company culture. Everyone is out of the office by 5:00pm at the latest. In the internship they have you work on a project and present it in front of the CEO, which can be intimidating but worth it. We got to go to the roof of WaterTower Place and got at least one free lunch every week while meeting with senior management.

Cons

They go crazy on the culture initiatives. They're nice but become trite after awhile. Also, the actual office space is kind of sad and boring.

Let the interns see the end-of-internship presentation reviews instead of just giving general advice.

Once a great place to work.

Former Employee - Information Systems
    Former Employee - Information Systems

I worked at General Growth Properties full-time

Pros

Opportunities can arise and be created if you are aggressive. Open air environment promotes communication and employee interaction.

Cons

Opportunities for professional growth and advancement are not always presented or available. Must pursue, on some occasions, your own training in order to further your skill sets. Investing in its employees not a priority

Create an avenue for anonymous employee suggestions and comments. This will give existing GGP employees, that were present prior to bankruptcy (very few left), an opportunity to express what they think made GGP such a great place to work. GGP should take a close look at employee moral and identify what makes employees want to come to work and contribute to its success.

Changing

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is changing. Improving slowly financially after emerging from bankruptcy and is now stable. Good salary and benefits.

Cons

New executive team (especially the CEO) wants to constantly clean house and promotes an atmosphere of fear throughout the organization. Most of the employees work in an environment where they are afraid they will be terminated at any moment regardless of how well they perform. Want to be known for having a great culture but do everything they can to make it bad. Not a friendly or stable environment to work at.

Change just for the sake of change is not a good thing. Recognize the good work that your people do and work to inspire them.

Overall a good company to work for :)

Current Employee - Property Accounting in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Property Accounting in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits - the pay is decent. They try to promote a good culture. They have tuition reimbursement. Good 401K plan - 100% vested right away.

Cons

It all depends what manager or director you work for. It could be great or it could be hell. It's all politics.

Professional development should be encouraged and rewarded.

Information is a one way street

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits were excellent

Cons

Corporate decisions show a disconnect from actual experience in their shopping malls. CEO and senior management give speeches with backhand comments that chastise or condescend. Middle management tend to be time management gurus but fear "reorganization" so they are not honest when reporting up. Fear of repercussion has led to death of creativity.

Hire employees who have worked in malls, or find a way to make communication a 2 way street between malls and the corporate offices. The impact of high level decisions continuously fails to be fairly evaluated because only success stories from the field are requested. Middle management screens reporting when high level decisions lead to field failures.

General Growth Properties Photos