General Growth Properties Reviews

Reset
3.2
General Growth Properties CEO Sandeep Mathrani
Sandeep Mathrani

Pros
  • There was growth opportunities in addition to a great work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits - the pay is decent (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no clear direction from upper management and the "fire drills" for information or tasks never end (in 6 reviews)

• No communication between middle management and upper management (in 3 reviews)

Assistant General Counsel

Former Employee - Assistant General Counsel in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant General Counsel in Chicago, IL

I worked at General Growth Properties

Pros

Congenial environment with a diverse group of employees, which is a good thing. In terms of professional growth, there are opportunities to move into other groups or try other functions to find a better fit, but they are more difficult to negotiate than they used to be.

Cons

Senior management is sometimes clueless about the negative impact their decisions have on the ground. They need to place more trust in managers and employees, generally.

Advice to Management

Truly listen to your employees. Be transparent. When making decisions, don't just make them based on the bottom line or the short-term Wall Street metric. Take a longer term perspective into account, which may actually provide better value over the long term.

2. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A high-performance company with a very collaborative environment, a management team that is very attuned to changes in the industry

Cons

I don't have any cons to list

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

3. Great place

Former Employee - Vice President of Construction in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Vice President of Construction in Louisville, KY

I worked at General Growth Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GGP has, without doubt, the best employees. They are great to work with. There was no one that wasn't willing to stop what they were working on to help you. Everyone was quite professional. Good pay and benefits

Cons

It only takes one person to goof it all up

Advice to Management

Take a good look past at who drives the bus in the various departments and see who really is doing the great jobs.

5. Executive Assistant

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, progressive, family friendly, forward thinking, successful, lunch subsidy, casual dress code.

Cons

Pace can be fast, not for the faint of heart. Get it done is the goal. Hard work is rewarded.

Advice to Management

None

6. Marketing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at General Growth Properties

Pros

Nice People. Decent Pay. Located in the heart of Downtown Chicago near pubic transportation.

Cons

Zero work/life balance. Always on mentality doesn't allow for personal time. High burnout rate. There also seems to be a high turn over rate with both contractors and full-time employees.

Advice to Management

Being more organized and knowing what's going on in your teams will help you find and KEEP the talent you need.

7. Sr. Administrative Assistant

I worked at General Growth Properties

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with and the location was close to home.

Cons

The company decided to outsource my department so I was being laid off.

8. Wonderful Company

I worked at General Growth Properties full-time

Pros

Great assets/properties; clear vision; clear values; wonderful people

Cons

Fractured executive team, most of them will leave when the CEO leaves and the ones who will be left do not have the leadership capabilities to lead the company

Interesting Ride

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some great people and a fast paced environment. Also, a good location in downtown Chicago near public transportation and a business casual dress code.

Cons

Short term focus on profit while not investing enough in the assets that generate revenue. Exhausting fire drills to cut expenses every few months - at some point they will hand everyone a shovel and ask us to clear the snow in the parking lot.

Advice to Management

It would be great if the culture speak and culture were more aligned. You can't have a team when the bonus structure is such that only individuals in 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place are rewarded well and the rest of the team only gets a small portion of the bonus despite completing all your goals and even additional items beyond what was expected.

Corporate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close working relationships among teams, pretty good benefits (with the exception of no infertility coverage), good PTO policy, great in-house lunch program with subsidy, free beverages and Keurig, free, well appointed workout facilities with showers, blow dryers and locker room, nice rooftop deck, good location to trains, dress code allows jeans every day, opportunity for advancement, excellent charity program that fosters engagement among employees.

Cons

The executive team is quite elitist. While departments are expected to cut costs and reduce headcount to save money the executives have no issues with spending large amounts of money on personal whims. CEO rules through fear. Executives have terrible language in meetings, are very condescending and change their mind constantly, requiring people to work exceedingly long hours to satisfy last minute requirements. Having worked here for a long time I had the luxury of seeing it when the old leadership cared about its employees. While we are doing very well financially people are unhappy b/c the leadership team only cares about the finances, not about how employees are treated. Layoffs are never ending and people who appear to be performing well are terminated which causes a culture of fear. That may be the intention of management but its not an ideal place to work if you are prone to stress.

Advice to Management

Think about how your words and actions appear to others, especially before judging people. remember you make millions and the rest of us do not so our bonus is important to us. Remember that we have families and personal lives and do not live to work, we work to live. People can do their jobs during regular business hours and still be excellent employees. Putting in more face time doesn't make someone a better employee.

11. Provides career potential with a healthy does of frustration

Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits, they encourage transferring internally, and they are conveniently located downtown near the train stations and L stops.

Cons

There is always movement of responsibilities from team to team, creating disruption in work flow and frustration. There is a lack of cohesive vision from management and a lack of communication that make changes much more difficult than they have to be.

RSS Feed </> Embed