General Growth Properties

Be The First To
Add Photos

General Growth Properties CEO Sandeep Mathrani

Sandeep Mathrani

A great company to be a part of

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGGP always looked out for their employees by activities or benefits along the way. They also provided ample training available for each and every position

ConsCut too many positions at once which made it difficult to do your job 100 with do many extra responsibilities added on.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve hourly employees more in the events of appreciation. They deserve it too.

Great Company

Accounting Manager (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsThere was growth opportunities in addition to a great work-life balance. Although there were many changes through the years, those qualities were not compromised.

ConsAs far as I can tell, there weren't that many cons. However, the uncertainty due to all the changes made working there just a little uncomfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Should be listed as a Best Place to Work in Chicago

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly co-workers. Great work-Life balance. Good benefits. An excellent, phenominal work environment. Extra benefits like subsidized lunches, Summer Fridays, paid volunteer time, community service/social responsibility. Collaborative teams, good HR, people genuinelly care about you there.

ConsCompetitive to get into if qualified. But that can be expected in any large, highly networked company as attractive as GGP.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company-Upper Management Lacks Clear Direction

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI very much enjoy my position at GGP. But with continuous reorganization within marketing and various members of the managment team giving conflicting direction it can be a very unnerving place to work. There are not clear goals, or is there even a general direction in any aspect regarding marketing. It has been that way for the past 3 years that I can speak for. Your superior will give you direction and then you will be scolded by the CEO on a property visit for simply doing your job. Once upper management changes, I feel that the environment will stabilize. The current CEO did a great job bringing the company out of bankruptcy. But as far as managing people, and marketing in particular, not his strong points.

ConsI would say the cons are the lack of direction, it causes an impossible work environement for those looking to succeed.

Senior Design Manager

Design Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat values and great people - down-to-earth, mutual, and positive

ConsRecovering from bankruptcy in 2009, rebuilding.
    Would benefit from being more progressive and competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementMake GGP progressive and uber-green. Recruit the best, focus on the future 20+ years ahead and lead the industry in CSR, energy efficiency, and lower environmental impact.
    Make shopping malls national zero-energy business leaders - provide the example of how it can be done.
    Make your contribution to the retail real-estate sector revolutionary and game-changing for your industry and for the communities you serve.

Constant downsizing and no strategy to grow property portfolio.

ProsEmerged from bankruptcy. Limited action by executives to improve corporate culture.

ConsConstant downsizing and no strategy to grow property portfolio.

Great Work-Life Balance, but Growth and Professional Development Opportunities Lacking

Director (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCompany has been through alot of change over past five years which has provided chance to work on challenging projects. Work-life balance is very good; Company is very involved with charitable organizations; Company Has strong values

ConsValues such as accountability are not always practiced at higher levels of management within the organization; Continual reorganization within groups the past five years; Company does not make employee professional/personal development a priority

Real Estate Ivestment Trust

Accounts Receivable Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGrowth opportunity is readily available as well as relocation.

ConsMany obstacles to overcome while trying to accomplish your goals. Over saturated with consulting groups which are paid large fees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet loose of the consulting firms and hire smart people to help with IT infrastructure.

Employees are treated like the enemy when management has nothing left to extract from them

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCo-workers who care about each other
    Lots of potential for exciting projects
    Decent work/life balance
    Fairly good benefits

ConsManagement that has been put in place because of politics, and not because they know how to manage people/departments
    Lots of layoffs, coupled with frozen salaries (or very low pay increases over a long period of time)
    No adherence to HR policies that have been put in place. Management completely ignores process when it doesn't benefit them (many people have been laid off in the past 2-3 years without receiving any severance. The company gets around that by creating bogus "performance" issues against the employee, even when none are documented in the employee records) - STAY AWAY from this company unless you are politically connected (and, therefore, protected)

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect and you might find that will produce better results than intimidation and micro-management

It was the place I wanted a long term career, until they stopped caring about who they hire for upper management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun work environment, great people less management. Great work staff with genuine people. Great compensation.

ConsI loved my job and was looking forward to growing with this company. At year 3, my location hired a less than stellar GM who went on to make everyone in the office staff feel completely unwelcome and spoke to everyone in a completely condescending tone. The issue was brought to upper management and nothing was done, I mean nothing. Needless to say the whole staff left and the GM replaced everyone with friends from their prior employer. This person was brought to HR as well multiple times by multiple employees and nothing was done. Your center truly lost a great staff thanks to no one in upper management caring about the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your employees and their concerns. Make a plan for people to grow within your company rather than allow them to get trampled by condescending upper management. HR please listen to employees.

Worked for General Growth Properties? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Growth Properties reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Growth Properties CEO Sandeep Mathrani. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by General Growth Properties employees.