General Growth Properties

Profile Unclaimed

Good Company-Upper Management Lacks Clear Direction

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I very much enjoy my position at GGP. But with continuous reorganization within marketing and various members of the managment team giving conflicting direction it can be a very unnerving place to work. There are not clear goals, or is there even a general direction in any aspect regarding marketing. It has been that way for the past 3 years that I can speak for. Your superior will give you direction and then you will be scolded by the CEO on a property visit for simply doing your job. Once upper management changes, I feel that the environment will stabilize. The current CEO did a great job bringing the company out of bankruptcy. But as far as managing people, and marketing in particular, not his strong points.

Cons

I would say the cons are the lack of direction, it causes an impossible work environement for those looking to succeed.

Senior Design Manager

Former Employee - Design Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Design Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great values and great people - down-to-earth, mutual, and positive

Cons

Recovering from bankruptcy in 2009, rebuilding.
    Would benefit from being more progressive and competitive

Make GGP progressive and uber-green. Recruit the best, focus on the future 20+ years ahead and lead the industry in CSR, energy efficiency, and lower environmental impact.
    Make shopping malls national zero-energy business leaders - provide the example of how it can be done.
    Make your contribution to the retail real-estate sector revolutionary and game-changing for your industry and for the communities you serve.

Constant downsizing and no strategy to grow property portfolio.

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time

Pros

Emerged from bankruptcy. Limited action by executives to improve corporate culture.

Cons

Constant downsizing and no strategy to grow property portfolio.

Great Work-Life Balance, but Growth and Professional Development Opportunities Lacking

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has been through alot of change over past five years which has provided chance to work on challenging projects. Work-life balance is very good; Company is very involved with charitable organizations; Company Has strong values

Cons

Values such as accountability are not always practiced at higher levels of management within the organization; Continual reorganization within groups the past five years; Company does not make employee professional/personal development a priority

Real Estate Ivestment Trust

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunity is readily available as well as relocation.

Cons

Many obstacles to overcome while trying to accomplish your goals. Over saturated with consulting groups which are paid large fees.

Let loose of the consulting firms and hire smart people to help with IT infrastructure.

Employees are treated like the enemy when management has nothing left to extract from them

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers who care about each other
    Lots of potential for exciting projects
    Decent work/life balance
    Fairly good benefits

Cons

Management that has been put in place because of politics, and not because they know how to manage people/departments
    Lots of layoffs, coupled with frozen salaries (or very low pay increases over a long period of time)
    No adherence to HR policies that have been put in place. Management completely ignores process when it doesn't benefit them (many people have been laid off in the past 2-3 years without receiving any severance. The company gets around that by creating bogus "performance" issues against the employee, even when none are documented in the employee records) - STAY AWAY from this company unless you are politically connected (and, therefore, protected)

Treat employees with respect and you might find that will produce better results than intimidation and micro-management

It was the place I wanted a long term career, until they stopped caring about who they hire for upper management.

I worked at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, great people less management. Great work staff with genuine people. Great compensation.

Cons

I loved my job and was looking forward to growing with this company. At year 3, my location hired a less than stellar GM who went on to make everyone in the office staff feel completely unwelcome and spoke to everyone in a completely condescending tone. The issue was brought to upper management and nothing was done, I mean nothing. Needless to say the whole staff left and the GM replaced everyone with friends from their prior employer. This person was brought to HR as well multiple times by multiple employees and nothing was done. Your center truly lost a great staff thanks to no one in upper management caring about the employees.

Start caring about your employees and their concerns. Make a plan for people to grow within your company rather than allow them to get trampled by condescending upper management. HR please listen to employees.

at first exciting place to work looking forward to Mondays

Current Employee - Tenant Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tenant Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great personalities, kind coworkers, awesome projects, travel

Cons

political, not truthful, do/say whatever it takes to keep the client not the employee

disappointment

Company going through bankruptcy when employed, lots of layoffs

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth potential, good benefits, friendly people

Cons

Company goes through bankruptcy and then pays new CEO $8 million/year. Really???

GGP offers a lot of opportunity for experience enhancement and growth.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at General Growth Properties full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the Real Estate environment and the people that I worked for. The ability to work independently and be creative in addition to working with a team and in a structured environment was like having the best of both worlds at work.

Cons

After GGP filed for bankruptcy protection the company started a process of downsizing and consolidating corporate and regional offices, divisions, departments and specific job functions. Understanding the necessity of the process, there was still a degrading moral from departing co-workers. It was sad to know that the Salt Lake office was slated to close.

Keep General Growth Properties a strong and successful company. The properties are great assets to their communities. The company offers stable and secure careers and lifestyles for so many individuals and families.

General Growth Properties Photos