General Healthcare Resources

Updated April 11, 2015
15 reviews filtered by
3.3
John Quirk

I've worked in the Direct Placement Department at GHR for over 10 years.

I have been working at General Healthcare Resources

Pros

Shrewd, professional, and effective management make this company tick. The desire to be the best is obvious. The company strives for superior outcomes and drives employees to be their best. Long tenured management genuinely knows their business and develops strong, competitive, skillful workers. Each new (internal) hire has the opportunity to achieve success dependent on their own desires. Back office personal are beyond helpful and supportive. Great culture, friendly coworkers, company events all make it a joy to work for this company.

Cons

If you don't like the phone you won't like working in their professional services divisions. Commissioned employees don't receive paid time off. Working from home, on the weekends, or while on vacation are mostly expected.

Advice to Management

More incentives, paid comp time, and a more generous commission plan would be welcome.

Excellent Management, Plenty of Opportunities to Succeed for Young Professionals

Current Employee - Permanent Placement Recruiter in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Permanent Placement Recruiter in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at General Healthcare Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was fortunate enough to have an excellent senior recruiter and a wonderful boss who taught me everything I now know about recruiting. I also agree that there is flexibility if earned. My manager is very easy to talk to and offers plenty of good advice to his team. Although he pushes us hard, at the end of the day it is only to ensure that we succeed.

Company plans a lot of fun events such as a company picnic, happy hours, bowling party and beautiful holiday party. I have found every single person who works at GHR to be very friendly and respectful.

Cons

I personally do not have any complaints about my position - however, the hours can pose to be a struggle. Permanent Placement Recruiters work until 6:00PM every day and until 7:30PM on Tuesdays. It can be tough to obtain a work-life balance at times.

Advice to Management

Although we do have a "summer hours" program, offering more incentives to shorten working hours would be nice.

3. nurse

I worked at General Healthcare Resources

Pros

there is plenty of work.

Cons

scheduler continuously calls and emails,about 5-10 times a day, and then gets upset when calls and emails aren't answered immediately. cold and heartless on-call staff,

Advice to Management

The personalities of your schedulers and on call staff needs to be addressed.

Home health company, usually assigned to hospice care.

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at General Healthcare Resources part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a good job if you like working the night shift in home healthcare.

Cons

Low pay, they don't pay overtime for holidays, and long hours. night shift is 13 hours long.

Advice to Management

Management is in PA, so everything is done long distance, there is no interaction with management. I got postcard in the mail for a sign-on bonus and when I called there was no sign on bonus. Don't offer sign on bonus if it does not exist.

It's OK, as long as you aren't a recruiter

I worked at General Healthcare Resources (More than a year)

Pros

Spot bonuses, some flexibility in scheduling, nice office location, younger crowd of people working, CEO knows everyone on a first name basis, happy hours, yearly company picnic

Cons

Crappy health insurance, bending of rules by mgmt, infighting between departments, management bullying managers from other departments, breaking rules to make a buck, constant and sudden firings of those not quite up to snuff, continuing to employ sub par healthcare professionals in order to make $$ billing the facilities. The senior employees brain wash the young hires to be snarky, deceitful, stop-at-nothing-to-earn-more-commission coworkers. Literally a revolving door of employees.

Advice to Management

On the recruiting side, we get your "work hard, play hard" mentality, but the rest of the employees/departments shouldn't get steamrolled in order to make an extra buck in their commission. Every department has such a contentious relationship.

If you want to learn from the best, work at GHR, but be prepared to work hard

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at General Healthcare Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had an amazing boss, who quite literally groomed me from the ground up - taught me everything about full cycle recruiting and how to run a successful desk.
    Flexibility - if you earn it.
    Compassionate and genuine CEO
    Incredibly hard working group of employees, and trust me when I say, they don't allow the weakest links to stick around. Very high standards yield a contagious work ethic to be the best.
    Work hard and pay off will be great, especially if you have no agency or recruiting in your background. You will learn, and earn.

Cons

High expectations - don't even apply if you don't want to work hard
    High call volume - not a good job for someone who is shy of the phone
    Tension between depts.
    Often management across all depts can be childish, and unrealistic. I worked there for 4 years, and several managers/directors would not even say goodbye to me after I resigned, though I made GHR alot of money during my time and felt as though I departed professionally and amicably. Paranoid that current and former employees are out to "steal information".
    Little opportunity to advance- very much a "good ole boys" club. Several Directors have been there forever; they will never leave and they hardly ever hire leadership externally.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for your best employees to assume leadership roles, and don't be so dispectful when an employee leaves - they may just be a client one day

I had an amazingly helpful scheduler who worked hard to ensure I had work!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Hazle Township, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Hazle Township, PA

I worked at General Healthcare Resources full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is so friendly and helpful and always willing to look out for you. The pay is great, scheduling is flexible, and weekly paychecks!

Cons

If you receive a negative comment from here-say of an employee at a facility, management can request to GHR that you not return to the facility.

Advice to Management

Please listen to the employee being involved with a facility issue so they can work through it instead of being asked not to return

Best Agency to work for...hands down.

Current Contractor - Registered Nurse in Norristown, PA
    Current Contractor - Registered Nurse in Norristown, PA

I have been working at General Healthcare Resources as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staffing specialists are great and work hard to get me assignments that I really want as far as specialty and location. The pay is good. They give you an opportunity to spread your wings with assignments you want to try, once you've proven you are a skilled and reliable nurse.

Cons

I wish some of the assignments were longer. That isn't GHR's fault. It's just the nature of the beast in this line of work.

Advice to Management

Maybe offer different rates for different assignments and mileage reimbursement for some assignments. I often have driven an hour for an assignment

they will use you up and spit you out

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at General Healthcare Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule with no fight

Cons

management will lie to you and if you try to find another job they will either refuse to give a reference or will give a bad one

Advice to Management

stop your lying.

11. I really enjoyed traveling to different sites that needed support staffing, staff/ resident ratio was equal . to qualit

Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at General Healthcare Resources part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

residents and flexible schedule, travel and pay rate

Cons

company layover is often than not/

Advice to Management

are you rehiring -I'm available