General Healthcare Resources

Updated Mar 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Quirk

If you want to learn from the best, work at GHR, but be prepared to work hard

Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at General Healthcare Resources full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had an amazing boss, who quite literally groomed me from the ground up - taught me everything about full cycle recruiting and how to run a successful desk.
Flexibility - if you earn it.
Compassionate and genuine CEO
Incredibly hard working group of employees, and trust me when I say, they don't allow the weakest links to stick around. Very high standards yield a contagious work ethic to be the best.
Work hard and pay off will be great, especially if you have no agency or recruiting in your background. You will learn, and earn.

ConsHigh expectations - don't even apply if you don't want to work hard
High call volume - not a good job for someone who is shy of the phone
Tension between depts.
Often management across all depts can be childish, and unrealistic. I worked there for 4 years, and several managers/directors would not even say goodbye to me after I resigned, though I made GHR alot of money during my time and felt as though I departed professionally and amicably. Paranoid that current and former employees are out to "steal information".
Little opportunity to advance- very much a "good ole boys" club. Several Directors have been there forever; they will never leave and they hardly ever hire leadership externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for your best employees to assume leadership roles, and don't be so dispectful when an employee leaves - they may just be a client one day

It's OK, as long as you aren't a recruiter

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Healthcare Resources for more than a year

ProsSpot bonuses, some flexibility in scheduling, nice office location, younger crowd of people working, CEO knows everyone on a first name basis, happy hours, yearly company picnic

ConsCrappy health insurance, bending of rules by mgmt, infighting between departments, management bullying managers from other departments, breaking rules to make a buck, constant and sudden firings of those not quite up to snuff, continuing to employ sub par healthcare professionals in order to make $$ billing the facilities. The senior employees brain wash the young hires to be snarky, deceitful, stop-at-nothing-to-earn-more-commission coworkers. Literally a revolving door of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the recruiting side, we get your "work hard, play hard" mentality, but the rest of the employees/departments shouldn't get steamrolled in order to make an extra buck in their commission. Every department has such a contentious relationship.

I had an amazingly helpful scheduler who worked hard to ensure I had work!

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
Hazle Township, PA

I worked at General Healthcare Resources full-time for less than a year

ProsThe staff is so friendly and helpful and always willing to look out for you. The pay is great, scheduling is flexible, and weekly paychecks!

ConsIf you receive a negative comment from here-say of an employee at a facility, management can request to GHR that you not return to the facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to the employee being involved with a facility issue so they can work through it instead of being asked not to return

Best Agency to work for...hands down.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Norristown, PA

I have been working at General Healthcare Resources as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThe staffing specialists are great and work hard to get me assignments that I really want as far as specialty and location. The pay is good. They give you an opportunity to spread your wings with assignments you want to try, once you've proven you are a skilled and reliable nurse.

ConsI wish some of the assignments were longer. That isn't GHR's fault. It's just the nature of the beast in this line of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe offer different rates for different assignments and mileage reimbursement for some assignments. I often have driven an hour for an assignment

they will use you up and spit you out

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at General Healthcare Resources full-time for more than a year

Prosflexible schedule with no fight

Consmanagement will lie to you and if you try to find another job they will either refuse to give a reference or will give a bad one

Advice to Senior Managementstop your lying.

I really enjoyed traveling to different sites that needed support staffing, staff/ resident ratio was equal . to qualit

Nursing Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at General Healthcare Resources part-time for more than 3 years

Prosresidents and flexible schedule, travel and pay rate

Conscompany layover is often than not/

Advice to Senior Managementare you rehiring -I'm available

LPN Position. Previous job title

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at General Healthcare Resources as a contractor for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible schedule. Work hours I wanted

ConsNo more hous for LPNs

i enjoy working for them

Nurse (Current Employee)
Newark, DE

I have been working at General Healthcare Resources

ProsYou are able to get the time off when needed without having to argue with your boss like you would at a regula job

ConsThe amount of hours and time that's not available, at time you can go weeks without work and it hurts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get some more accounts and offer more hours and positions. At time it seems like there are only 1/2 accounts available.

Great Management, supportive to employees

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at General Healthcare Resources

ProsDecent rates, always treated with respect

ConsAs with any agency, hours per week are not predictable

General Healthcare Resources (GHR) is not a good place to work.

I have been working at General Healthcare Resources

ProsThe location is in a great spot.

ConsEnvironment, Pay, Benefits, No Diversity, Management Team, Hours

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to make people enjoy working there, you are going to have to pay them more and bring in competant managers.

Worked for General Healthcare Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Healthcare Resources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Healthcare Resources CEO John Quirk. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by General Healthcare Resources employees.