General Information Services Reviews

Reset
2.3
Raymond Conrad

1. Review

Pros

best working environment in the area

Cons

become too close to people

2. Stay Away!

Former Employee - Verification Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at General Information Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, can bring kids in office if needed, can wear casual clothing which is nice.

Cons

HORRIBLE pay and the health insurance is the WORST! I was on the cheapest plan. The Owner doesn't show any appreciation for the employees. Raises are pathetic and not on time. No future with this company unless you want to be over worked and under paid. It's just a paycheck for people. Ive noticed that some employees who have been here awhile are leaving. GIS does nothing for their employees....no incentives, parties, lunches, nothing to boost morale. The Owner needs to step it up or he's going to lose more people. Multiple people I know there are actively looking for jobs, for better pay and insurance benefits.

Advice to Management

Never had any issues with Dallas Management. They are very nice, fair and helpful.

Company on a downward spiral

Former Employee - Reporter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Reporter in Dallas, TX

I worked at General Information Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible when you need time off or if you need to leave early, easy work

Cons

PAY! People work harder when they feel appreciated...and money talks. The Owner should be ashamed of sending emails about how the company is growing and all the new clients acquired... and the employees not getting raises to reflect. The starting pay is bad enough however the raises are a slap in the face! The raises should be based on performance and reviews. The staff needs to be reviewed at least once a year and the raises should be a direct result of that. Do not let reporters get away with doing the bare minimum while the more experienced reporters pick up their slack. It is not right to have one reporter working 100 cases and someone else working 20. Quit taking people off accounts and train properly. If the reporter is not getting it....let them go. People who have been their 2 years are still getting treated as new employees. They should have gotten it down by now. Period! There is no room for growth. The few positions that do open do not come with a significant raise and puts you in more contact with the difficult upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Be open about ways to improve and have a true open door policy. Do not have a suggestion box that is said to be anonymous if you are going to question people to see if they wrote the suggestion when you don't like what is written. This is why people are scared to write suggestions because they are afraid of the aftermath. I saw the company start declining when the Upper Management changed. When the Director of Operations and the Operations Manager changed several years back... the entire morale of the office changed. We no longer felt comfortable with upper management and the new management had never worked as a reporter so they do not understand the ins and outs of the reporting side... and they never once tried to sit with anyone to observe and see how this side works. It was just do this, do that... make calls, calls, calls... The job is more than just the number of calls made daily! The morale of the office is so low at this point I am not sure it can recover.

No strong backbone for leadership

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Irmo, SC
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Irmo, SC

I worked at General Information Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting to learn about the background check world.

Cons

This is a company that advertises to people they strong leadership and they do not. They also are not trust worthy to work for.

Bad Pay Worse Management

Current Employee - Team Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are few things I can say are a pro for this company. They really do not care about their employees or there wellfare.

Cons

They just announced that there will be no annual review increases this year. So we are supposed to work harder for the same money. Pay already starts out very low for the work they expect and now we are not getting a raise. There is no bonus structure or any type of performance incentives. They keep telling us we are a call center but they have no pay structure to show it. Benefits are horrible. It costs too much and pays little. Nothing about the pay and benefits for this company should make you want to work here.

Advice to Management

Stop messing with peoples pay. Start assessing what other companies are paying in the area and adjust the pay. Actually care about your employees and stop looking down at them. Pay attention to how your employees feel and address any issues they might bring to your attention. Stop talking about people behind their backs and stop spreading rumors and lies about people to other employees. Have a way for people to grow in their career with your company instead of leaving this as a dead end job.

7. Great place to work

Current Employee - Implementation in Melissa, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation in Melissa, TX

I have been working at General Information Services (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers I have had in the 6 years have all been awesome to work for. There is a strong sense of teamwork in each department.

Cons

No real cons to mention.

8. Starter job-not worthy of a long term career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapin, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapin, SC

I worked at General Information Services full-time

Pros

Decent pay for the area, most managers are great, the company is growing so there is no concern with job security, overall friendly coworkers. Would recommend to a friend as a starter job.

Cons

While the pay may be decent for the area, they are not competitive so there are other companies with much better pay options. Benefits are extremely unreasonable for families, annual increases are not guaranteed and are inconsistent when they are given, the company is sales driven and not employee driven so employees are always an after thought when it comes to pay or progessive ideas.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for middle management, because they can't do anything without executive approval so any advice would be pointless. Upper management needs to start thinking in terms of it's employees. At some point you need to stop and perfect what you have or the growth of the company will be irrelevant.

Poor Pay Practices

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapin, SC

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will allow you to work and move around in the company as you gain experience.

Cons

The pay practices are very poor. They pay below the industry standard for most positions unless you are a very experienced I.T. person. This is the reason that attrition is so high with the company. People gain experience and then get more money elsewhere. Also, the benefits are horrible and expensive if you are trying to cover a spouse/family.

Advice to Management

Pay people better so that they will stay.

Avoid At All Cost!

Former Employee - Verification Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at General Information Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, free garage parking.

Cons

Management is horrible. There are so many cliques and management has their favorites and let's them talk and horse around while the others pick up their slack. Don't even bother working hard because all they will do is give you more work with little acknowledgement. Looking for growth? Well don't look here. The growth opportunity is basically nonexistent. This job is only good temporarily. Do not expect to make a career out of it.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start over.

No Future

Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Chapin, SC

Pros

My co workers are nice and a laid back environment

Cons

bad pay, no benefits, I am gaining absolutely no useful skills that will help on the future, not much opportunity for true advancement.

RSS Feed </> Embed