General Information Services

2.1

Raymond Conrad

I LOVE MY JOB!!

Current Employee - Reporter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with GiS for almost 5 years and I have to say, this is the first company where my peers, supervisors and management staff have all been super friendly, professional and willing to go out of their way to help. When I started, it took awhile for things to click but with the help of my teammates and supervisor, I became more confident and everything made sense. The management staff is always coming up with fun ways to boost attitudes when workloads are stressful. I love working for GiS! It's fun and never boring!

Cons

The pay could be better. With the amount of work that we do and with the urgency with our work, I feel it should be rewarded. I also don't think there is much room for promotion here. We get emails about people being promoted but I don't think they are any employees in this office.

Dallas GiS is an awesome company to work for and I hope to be here for many more years to come.

Horrendous

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chapin, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chapin, SC

I worked at General Information Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Agile development shop is about the only pro there is for this company. Many coworkers were technically skilled.

Cons

Poor benefits, poor salaries, poor management, no training to gain more technical skills.

Treat your employees with respect.

Easy Job with Poor Management

Current Employee - Verification Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job is easy. The systems are not hard to figure out. The location is convenient to shopping and restaurants.

Cons

Dallas has issues. The initial training is great, one of the best trainers I have ever had. From there it goes downhill. There is no follow-through with training once you are placed on your "team". Your team lead is normally too busy talking to her friends to actually train you. Management turns a blind eye. They give you new accounts with no warning or training and just expect you to be able to work it perfectly. They make you feel stupid when you request more training. There is a disconnect between management and what an actually be done. They pay you a ridiculously small salary for what they expect you to do. Management is never actually seen working. They walk around a lot and don't speak to the "lower" minions. The supervisors have NO management skills and treat people like they are idiots. There are many "pets" and they can do nothing wrong - like clocking in late, leaving early, taking breaks without clocking out, the list just goes on and on. This company could be a good place to work, if they got new management and restructured the work so that management and supervisors actually did some of the work as well.

Fire your management in Dallas. They are ineffective and they have no clue how to manage. The morale is so low that everyone openly talks about looking for alternate work. Have a longer training program with the initial trainer. She is great and really takes the time to explain why things are done the way the are done. Restructure who does what and how you do it. Focus on the clients and the applicants more instead of the upper management. Increase pay to make people want to stay and to get a better quality of people applying.

Micromanaging at its worst

Current Employee - Verification Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You leave work at the office, you get free covered parking. The office is in a good location with many restaurants and stores nearby.

Cons

The management in the Dallas office is all about micromanaging. They don't communicate what they expect but expect you to read their minds. Management and supervisors never do the job that the lower employees do, but think they need to set ridiculous rules about how they should do their work. Upper Management thinks it is a call-center when it really isn't, so people call fax numbers, and disconnected numbers all day rather than actually accomplishing their set goal of completing verifications. The management team takes no responsibility for the asinine ideas they come up with and always spin it back to being the lower employees fault. There is no fairness. People don't expect equality, as each employee is different, but they do expect to be treated fairly, and this is not the place for that. There are pets and friends who get special treatment and everyone else gets treated like they have lice. Management treats the office like a high school hallway: they make fun of people out loud, they say things that are meant to be hurtful, they try to belittle people into submission. If you want to use your brain, this is not the place for you. They only want people who are willing to be sheep and follow along even if it is not in the best interest of the customer or the person we are doing the background check on. Overall it is not a pleasant place to work and I would not recommend anyone take a job with them, at least while the current management is in place.

Get rid of the management in your Dallas office. They are toxic to your organization and the morale of the Dallas office.

What do employees want? To be left alone to do our work. We all have something important to contribute. Allowing us to become a part of the process and to use our brains can have a hugely positive impact. Nobody wants to have their intelligence and creativity taken from them. With each day that passes you feel your intellect slowly lowering at GIS. They suck the creativity out of you. You become robotic and detached. Walking through the office on any given day shows how low the morale is in the Dallas office.

Worst Experience Ever

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at General Information Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have an okay vacation accrual policy, and they work really well with flex time.

Cons

This company has serious ethic issues. They need to take a real look into their management structure, and how they handle their employee problems.

This Company Is Bad

Current Employee - Reporter in Dallas, TX

Pros

Most of the associates are good. You leave your work at work.

Cons

Management doesn't work. They expect unrealistic numbers from the rest of the office, but they do nothing. They are negative, make you feel unwelcome, and constantly remind you that you are "beneath" them. There is no chance of moving up. It is a dead end job with very little pay.

The owner, or whoever runs this company now needs to come to Dallas and feel how bad it is. Maybe even see that the managers are never there.

An american horror story

Current Employee - Verification Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

No work to take home. There is a parking garage so there is covered parking.

Cons

Management in dallas sucks. No promotion opportunities. They expect too much work for very small pay. It feels like middle school with lots of cliques. Not a call center but they want you to make more calls. Office is gross it smells bad like a sewer and has bugs. Computers are old and slow. Management has no clue what goes on with the work and spends more time texting each other than working. They spend more time on extended lunch breaks and smoke breaks than on actually working. An unhealthy negative workplace. I would not recommend it.

Get new managers in dallas. Or at least get people who know how to run a business. Pay people better and you might get a higher level of educated workers. Get technology like spell check if you really care about your clients and the product you give them.

Great career building block

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chapin, SC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chapin, SC

I worked at General Information Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very helpful teammates (on the Pangea team), solid software development procedures, competent and organized management stack, competitive pay, relaxed atmosphere in IT department, engaging experience that looks good on a resume

Cons

Expensive benefits (and long waiting period), poorly maintained office, few opportunities to move into management (due to the company's structure), idiosyncratic office rules (e.g., no popcorn in the office)

Reduce employee cost for benefits, offer quicker path into management

Working for GIS as a developer is a Positive experience

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Chapin, SC

I have been working at General Information Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salaries, Decent company culture, Applications use current technology and change control procedures are well thought out. Agile development methodology.
    I have worked for large corporate organizations, for the Federal government, and on short term contracts for local IT firms, so I have pretty much seen it all. I like working here a lot and can personally recommend the company.

Cons

Warm Summers, Small town. Other than that, it is hard to come up with twenty discouraging words about GIS, Free parking even. the worst I can say about GIs is that their HR publications contain stern language discouraging Evil, but I can live with that.

Plant more trees.

I enjoy my work, especially the opportunities to grow as a developer.

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chapin, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chapin, SC

Pros

Good development process
    Opportunities for technical growth and staying current in technology
    Supportive management
    Good team environment
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Other (legacy) systems in the company can be challenging to work on
    Smaller company politics can sometimes be an issue

Share more information with employees re: company and product direction and current company status

General Information Services Photos