General Mills
www.generalmills.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

General Mills Reviews

Pros:
  • "Benefits are great, the company values are excellent, great work life balance"
    in 97 reviews
  • "General Mills offers several great benefits"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also the Kroger team does not offer any work life balance"
    in 45 reviews
  • "Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I'm proud to work for GMI!

Demand Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at General Mills

ProsThey are good community partners, they genuinely care about diversity, and they are well respected as a company. They are consistently ranked among the best companies to work for and their pay/benefits are competitive. The headquarters in Minneapolis is rather impressive as well boasting an impressive cafeteria, health facility, salon, cafe, caribou coffee, auto mechanic, gas station, bank, company store, concierge, dentist, doctor, optometrist, and the list goes on and on! You could probably live on campus if you wanted to. These amenities go a long way into making the real life more manageable so that you can focus on performing well at your job.

ConsIt is a rather conservative company similar to many other midwestern CPG companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest about organization changes. Most GMI employees are excited about change and simply want to know what is coming up next.

Solid company with great benefits...but won't rock your world.

Business Planning Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at General Mills

ProsGreat company reputation in the industry
Good benefits
Career Advancement

ConsMinneapolis
Lack of Diversity
No unique company vision
Silos between functions

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a vision. Diversity is not just race and gender. Adapt to the changing business climate and needs of employees (flexible work time, more merit based compensation, better relocation options, etc.)

General Mills is a company that cares!

Account Operations Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at General Mills

ProsGeneral Mills has passion. Passion for consumers, customers, and employees.
They treat their employees well, with great benefits. There is three weeks vacation starting. Sick time does not count against your vacation, neither does having to stay home with a sick child. That is unheard of in this day and age! Everytime a new product is introduced you get box, bag, or can.
This company cares for their consumers. They are always trying to come out with products that are healthier. Fiber One cereal, yogurt, and snacks, zero trans fat, reduced suger, etc,
Most importantly this company is filled with bright people who have steered this company through this recessionary time and made the buisness grow despite record fuel and commodity prices. This company has grown substantially while our peers have been posting losses.

ConsThere is not enough interaction between the main office and the Bassett Creek Building. It seems like they do not want you to leave the Customer Service Center. It seems like there is some corporate level politics. I was told in my interview that it would be easy to transfer to the main office and focus on the area I majored and have interest in. During the first two weeks after being hired, I was told by an upper level manager that they do not like people transfering. There is not a very set and clear career path at that building.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I appreciate the leadership displayed on a daily basis. I also appreciate the extra perks that the company offes.

Great pay, great benefits, extremely bureaucratic, conformity expected

Business Planning Associate (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Mills

ProsGreat pay, work life balance, and benefits.

ConsExtremely bureaucratic, conformity expected, innovation and creativity not really encouraged

Advice to Senior ManagementBe interested in employees personal development rather than being self-serving

General Mills is an amazing place to work. Your career path is determined by your performace. Period.

Financial Analyst II (Current Employee)

I have been working at General Mills

ProsThere is a great work/ life balance and your career is what you make of it. If you are a strong perfomer you will be rewarded. You also get the opportunity to work on major projects right out of school, which are essential for early development.

ConsYou may need to do a field rotation in order to advance within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe there is an opportunity to do more benchmarking internally and externally.

Very good place to work

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at General Mills

ProsThe environment is one of respect and hard work.

ConsThings happen somewhat slowly and you spend most of your time meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive in expanding existing brands out of category (are you listening, Haagen Dazs?) and purchasing brands for future growth.

Great company, nice people, long term prospects, good pay and awesome benefits.

I have been working at General Mills

ProsCompany reputation, stability, great benefits. General Mills is consistently ranked one of the top run companies in the U.S. and the employees have a great deal of faith in the leadership of the company. The company headquarters are amazing - and pretty much include everything you need including a doctor's office, child care, a gym, grocery store, salon, restaurant, coffee shop and much more.

ConsLarge companies can sometimes make internal communciations difficult; also, full on training should be offered earlier in one's career to help with understanding the various business units and how they should interact with one another.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and continue to keep the company moving forward. Continue to offer strong benefits and a good retirement package.

Personal and professional rewards are worth the hard work.

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at General Mills

ProsGMI gives you real responsibility from day 1. In the roles I have experienced I was expected to deliver results and perform, but I have also never been micromanaged. The aging boomer population, along with high expectations and challenging early roles lead to significant opportunities to advance.

ConsTo succeed at General Mills you have to be willing to put in the extra effort. Early career development programs, especially within supply chain, cram 5 to 7 years of leadership experience into 3 to 4 years. That can be difficult for a lot of people. The trade off is a strong resume 5 years out of school.

Another potential downside for some at General Mills is the high preference placed on female and minority candidates. They are more likely to be hired and promoted and in some cases are not ready for the roles they move into.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on people development. Set challenging corporate wide goals and create a sense of urgency. How would we respond if we were the other GM facing Toyota like competition?

General Mills - the career you always thought you'd have.

Consumer Insights (Current Employee)

I have been working at General Mills

ProsGeneral Mills is one of those grand old companies that still cares for and treats employees well, and it can well afford to because it consistently delivers outstanding results. The people are amazing, the facilities are beautiful, the work is engaging and satisfying - on the whole it's a great place to build a career.

ConsAs with many big companies, General Mills can be very conservative and sometimes move slowly. Some people hate the weather, too (winter only, of course), but it's to be expected in the upper midwest and the gorgeous summers (and summer hours!) more than make up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing down responsibility! Give lower level employees opportunities to contribute and be innovative.

GMI is a great company in many ways, strongest on retail branded side.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at General Mills

ProsGreat brands, solid training, excellent benefit program/stock options. Great reputation in the market, with most customers. Excellent support staff.

ConsLots of hours, though they do give time off for personal when needed. Getting leaner which means more hours for those remaining. Sometimes people at all levels are rotated too quickly to get to know and have an impact to improve the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!

General Mills Videos

General Mills – Why Work for Us?

Our brands. Your legacy. Fortune magazine ranks us as one of the 100 best companies to work for in the United States, and BusinessWeek has tabbed General Mills as one of the best places to launch a career. We're the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Mills reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Mills CEO Ken Powell. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by General Mills employees.