General Mills
www.generalmills.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

General Mills Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Benefits are great, the company values are excellent, great work life balance"
    in 102 reviews
  • "General Mills offers several great benefits"
    in 40 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also the Kroger team does not offer any work life balance"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Associate Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe company hires great people, so I feel like I'm surrounded by talented people who motivate me to do my best.

ConsIt's a consensus driven culture, so it can take time to make decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI appreciate the focus on work-life balance.

I am so proud to be working for such a great company!

Business Planning Associate (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe people I work with are amazing & the benefits are great too.

ConsLarge companies such as this tend to be very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to take more risks.

The PERFECT place to spend your career!

Finance Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsWonderful company to work for, wouldn't dream of working anywhere else! Excellent opportunities for advancement, emphasis on work-life balance, great compensation and benefits, very competent leadership, friendly atmosphere, and amazingly talented co-workers. Overall the company really cares about their employees and making sure that they are happy and successful. I feel valued everyday I go to work and know that I will be treated with respect and listened to. I am always amazed by the brillant people around me and love that everyone brings a different perspective to the cross-functional teams.

ConsPeople do not leave, so sometimes there are backlogs to get promoted to the next level. Also, because of the importance of cross-function imput, decision speed can be slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on valuing employees feedback and decision speed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start. Great place to stay.

Scottsdale, AZ

ProsChallenging projects and the people.

ConsSpeed in which to resolve issues

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership and direction

Landing a job with General Mills was the best thing to happen to my career.

Development Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe caliber of the people as workers and as human beings.

ConsIf you aren't a fan of the cold, Minneapolis winter's can be hard to swallow.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's continue to be aggressive.

I would give general mills a solid B as a good place to work to build a stable no frills career

Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsStable company. Good management. Managers that understand work/life issues well.

ConsConservative company not very open to risk/entrepreneural pursuits. Bereaucracy in progression processes. Marginal talent management. High level of churn at all levels. Effective managers can sometimes be hard to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to decentralize decision making to the point of need as much as possible. Consider the unique needs of varied divisions as a talking point in setting policy. The one size fits all approach can be very frustrating when it comes to issues around progression.

Good enough for me.

BPA (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsIn a challenged economy we have a product that people need. General Mills takes very good care of me and my family. They have a solid reputation in the areas in which they compete.

ConsMinneapolis is a bitter cold plae to live.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew ways of thinking are talked about but not really looked on as favorable in the CFSD. Many people are rewarded for a 'nifty' idea that is not transferable to other employees and in the long run creates more work for everyone else.

A great starter company for the experience

Team Leader II (Current Employee)
    Bensalem, PA

ConsWellston ohio is a ver boring place to live the only thing to do here is shoot the wild life

You will never find a better place to work.

IS Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGeneral Mills culture is a progressive supportive environment. The corporate culture energizes you to deliver your best for the company and yourself. There's always opportunities to move and grow within the company. This is encouraged. The benefits are superb. This company attracts and retains very talented people who are fun to work with too.

ConsWorklife balance can be compromised if you let it. It is easy to get caught up in the energy and over commit yourself. At times there seem to be too many 'special' inititves going on at the same time - Continuous Improvement, PMO, Fuse, HHM etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on what is really good for people and the environment when going after profits. It pays off and helps everyone to sleep with a smile.

General Mills is a company that "gets it right".

Customer Account Manager II (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGeneral Mills is a company that truly "gets it right" from an employee - employer relationship. Many companies boast about how well they treat their employees and care for them as well as their families, but I'll bet that not too many can truly back that up. I have experienced it first hand. When a family crisis required a relocation, General Mills stepped up and helped me find a role that fit my experience and made it happen in an instance. This event had a lot of moving parts, but the HR Team and Senior Leaders within my division made it seamless. I have always felt at home and at ease since joining General Mills. This is why you can believe the "Greatest Places to Work" rankings and independent surveys like this one!

ConsThere are not too many, however, one is front of mind. It does not appear that it is easy to transition from one business segment to another; i.e Retail to Bakeries and Foodservice, or vice versa. I can say that I do not know too many from other business segments, and I'll bet that they do not know many of us. This seems to be a bit of a disconnect. I am very pleased with the path that I am on, however, if I were interested in a different segment of business, it seems a bit difficult to get there. I feel confident that the HR staff could help, but other segments are "well stocked" with talent, which leaves you as the underdog.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel very confident in our Senior Leadership, as we are poised to achieve some pretty lofty goals in F'09. I feel very fortunate in this, as other companies are just trying to hold on to their current business.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!

General Mills Videos

General Mills – Why Work for Us?

Our brands. Your legacy. Fortune magazine ranks us as one of the 100 best companies to work for in the United States, and BusinessWeek has tabbed General Mills as one of the best places to launch a career. We're the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Mills reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Mills CEO Ken Powell. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by General Mills employees.