General Mills

Updated December 11, 2014
3.6

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • You can have a good work life balance if you make it a priority (in 118 reviews)

• Great benefits (but decreasing), good teamwork, great training opportunities (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared for a poor work-life balance if working in a plant production facility (in 53 reviews)

• Slow decision making, progression in one's career can seem very slow and formulaic (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

231 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company! Going through some financial challenges though.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

GREAT People! The people that work for GMI are of the highest quality. I have met very few over my 15 years with the company that would not be considered experts in their fields.

They value skill set diversity and encourage people to move around the company into other roles. This has made me a more agile employee with a broader base of roles that I can perform.

Cons

5 years of declining sales is very concerning. Because of the lack of growth, they have had to take away many of the employee perks that distinguished them from other companies. Pensions were cut, retiree medical plans were re-structured, cut services at the employee medical center. They need to be mindful about cutting out too much and no longer attracting top talent.

Bring in a CEO from the outside that is young and has experience with marketing companies in this day and age. It starting to feel a bit too much like the good ole white boys club at the top and they do a great job on the investment side but haven't been able to move the dial in the growth area.

Great Company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Great place to work
    Flexible work schedule
    On-site day care

Cons

Recent layoffs
    Too many layers of management

Make more products consumers want

Great company with many opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

General Mills is a great company to work for. They have a high standard for ethics and personal development. Their rotational system also allows for professional growth. They value ethnic and lifestyle diversity.

Cons

Decision speed is slow. They also recruit and hire many of the same like people and have a hard time embracing different work styles on most teams.

It's ok

Former Employee - Associate Human Resources Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Human Resources Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

General Mills HR Master Leadership Program is a matured development program and provides truly growth and leadership opportunities early on. Their HR Leadership team is a very talented group of well rounded HR professionals. General Mills also has very influential and active diversity/resource networks and makes it a true priority to mentor and sponsor minority employees. The job is very challenging and competitive, you learn a lot from working here. I recommend this company for the development program and then move on to a more interesting place.

Cons

Their main problem is very well known, General Mills' culture is very much Minnesota nice. There is a lot of passive aggressiveness and people try to work with each other in the least disruptive way, this means that innovation and creativity takes longer because different voices or opinions are looked with fear and surprise. This is not the most agile and fast pace place. People do not like to talk directly about the issues, particularly bad management. People hope you act like a stepford wife and don't question or point out the ugliness, just act like everyone else.

You are doing a great job providing developmental assignments to employees, you could do better encouraging employees to become more culturally agile and ready for international assignments.

Company that will take care of you.

Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

GMI is great about professional development among their employees. Its also a company with strong values and ethics. The culture was supportive and open to employee feedback. Vacation days and was generous compared to other companies.

Cons

The work load was not evenly dispersed. There seemed to be certain functions that was used to passing the work off onto other functions. Making decisions were a long process because they values a consensus culture. Even though management was open to new ideas, it was difficult to implement change if you were not in a managerial role.

While there are some great managers at GMI, there are managers that management is not their strength but may have gotten the managerial role because of the # of years working for GMI.

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

work/life balance and flexibility is excellent, it is not about how many hours you put in but rather how well you do your work and if you perform as expected. Gives the incentive to work smarter. Great brands and proud that more organic and sustainable products is being added. A lot of good intentions and ideas.

Cons

Typical corporate environment where the left hand doesn't know (or worse: compete with) what the right hand does. A lot of energy is used on putting out fires and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Challenging to come in as an experienced hire as most there are college hires that has been there for ages. Adds a sorority feeling to the place where it very much is about who you know.

General Mills Response

Nov 5, 2014Recruiting Communication Specialist

The success of General Mills relies on the success of our employees; we have heard your concerns and suggestions and will share them with our leadership team as appropriate.

Great leadership opportunities, but rotational programs can be too formulaic at times

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values are spot on. Integrity is always number one, and employees have professional respect for each other at the workplace. The highlights of my career so far have been the variety of leadership opportunities I have had. In most case you have autonomy to tweak your role and re-prioritize as you see fit.

Cons

Company is slow growth and well established (could also be a pro) - so how is this a con? Only in regard to career progression. In most cases this means that career paths are well established and pre-defined, meaning that programs tend to be formulaic and sometimes you will feel like a cog in a wheel regardless of your performance relative to your peers.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice pay, good environment, good coworkers

Cons

Peer pressure, deadline stress on projects

Outsource more talent

Former Good Company

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

Great benefits and onsite amenities
    Great training and work life opportunities at headquarters

Cons

The company is slow and too Minnesota Nice. It is not innovative and executes new products poorly. Even with concerted efforts, diversity is weak in areas R&D and Sales.

We miss Greek Yogurt and spent millions to catch up. We've missed most food innovations in the last 5 years. We play the best small food company that is big enough to copy others.

Use process correctly. Be serious about diversity. Promote leaders based on results and not on their ability to be the typical "cutout" for Minnesota.

Started great, now not so great

Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

I have been at General Mills in IT just over two years including time as a contractor. I came onboard as an "experienced hire" with quite a bit of experience. I felt I was hired based on experience and my salary seems to have reflected that. I work on a talented team of Service Desk Professionals that know their area of expertise well. It is a very military friendly company who takes pride in the veterans and who goes out of their way for them.

Cons

Currently the morale in my department is quite low. The low morale is not conducive to a good work environment. Adding to the low morale is a general distrust of the managers due to the lack of communication and all support calls and screens being recorded. My current manager is clueless and the manager above him is a complete type A control freak who does not appreciate anything other than what she knows or has set forth.

The current company decision making is too slow and does not give the sense of a company moving forward other than purchasing other companies.

Management at General Mills does not like to hear the word "NO" when it comes to any decision, process, idea etc. One can have supporting evidence and a valid reason why you said "NO" and it will fall on deaf ears and be ignored. The repercussion to the employee is a bad end of year review with a reputation of being "difficult to work with". This also leads into the "nice" culture at the corporate offices. They are too nice which leads to bad decisions being made because no stands up to say "no" when it should be said.

Listen to your employees we have more experience than you do at times. Allow for new ways of doing things and be receptive to the differences in how or what someone uses to do their job. In my department stop being so controlling of your employees many of whom are experienced and know their job very well.