General Mills

Updated January 27, 2015
3.5

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • You can have a good work life balance if you make it a priority (in 118 reviews)

• Great benefits (but decreasing), good teamwork, great training opportunities (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared for a poor work-life balance if working in a plant production facility (in 53 reviews)

• Slow decision making, progression in one's career can seem very slow and formulaic (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

287 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture. The hours of a large, corporate company, but the talent of a consulting firm/investment bank.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's an extremeley family friendly copmany. People work to live, not live to work. The people are also extremely bright and ambitious - coming from top schools across the country.

Cons

Culture of collaboration results in slow decision making and bureaucratic processes. Pretty rigid promotion structure that limits the upward momentum of top talent.

Great work/life balance, but advancement and recognition are dependent on your team

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

General Mills offers a great work/life balance. I never feel pressured to work long hours. In IT, you sometimes have to work odd hours to accomodate business users but that is often mitigated by comp time.

The atmosphere is great. I love the people I work with.

If you work at the world headquarters, there are many conveniences on campus: a credit union, gym, cafeteria, company store, and gas station / mechanic.

Cons

The company makes promises that it sometimes fails to keep. For example, college hires go through a rotation process (three jobs in five years). I, and many people I know, have had their rotations cut short or been forced into particular roles due to reorganizations.

Some teams are not receptive to new ideas. In particular, I have noted a very strong tendency to "do things the way we always have" regardless of whether that way is any good to begin with.

Recent layoffs are a drag.

Depending on the team you work on, you may not have an opportunity to do very impactful work or be recognized for it.

Focus on aggregating top talent across the organization. Be more proactive in addressing performance issues. Underperformers can stick around for a long time because the company won't cut them.

A highly ethical company with a lot of smart, hard-working people.

Former Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Commitment to excellence. Strong development programs, particularly in marketing.

Cons

Can be a bit insular

Hire marketers that are more creative.

Great Company! Going through some financial challenges though.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

GREAT People! The people that work for GMI are of the highest quality. I have met very few over my 15 years with the company that would not be considered experts in their fields.

They value skill set diversity and encourage people to move around the company into other roles. This has made me a more agile employee with a broader base of roles that I can perform.

Cons

5 years of declining sales is very concerning. Because of the lack of growth, they have had to take away many of the employee perks that distinguished them from other companies. Pensions were cut, retiree medical plans were re-structured, cut services at the employee medical center. They need to be mindful about cutting out too much and no longer attracting top talent.

Bring in a CEO from the outside that is young and has experience with marketing companies in this day and age. It starting to feel a bit too much like the good ole white boys club at the top and they do a great job on the investment side but haven't been able to move the dial in the growth area.

Great company going through a difficult time

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Super smart people to work with, great pay and benefits. I actually think the senior leaders are excellent.

Cons

Two 800+ person layoffs in the last 2.5 years leaves little to be optimistic about in the near term. Core of the companies issues are structural, American consumer has less money to spend on food, General Mills selling high priced processed food is no man's land; not fresh and not cheap

Stodgy food giant trying to totter towards relevancy

Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Invest in people. Lay offs process was terrible, but package was decent. Beautiful main office. Good for your resume. Cross functional teams are top notch. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Just went through major lay off, so the mood at the company is bleak right now. Many who were not let go are looking to get out.
    Red tape makes even simple tasks incredibly challenging. Several pillar products are in declining categories, and I don't have a lot of faith that the current strategy will turn it around.
    Very political place. You have to constantly network so that people know who your are.
    Aggressively positive. If the business has declined for 10 months running and then has one up month the entire conversation instantly centers on how things are turning around.
    You have to get 25 people to "align" with you before you can move forward with anything. Lots of internal selling.
    Forecasting is time consuming nightmare, but think they've heard us on this.
    In Minneapolis. Weather is terrible 70% of the year and it's hard to make friends if you're not from the area.
    Work/life depends on role. I've had positions where I easily worked 75 hours a week, and others where I was much closer to 40. Don't be fooled. People may leave at 5 to pick up their kids, but they get back on computers at 9.

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, although they seem to shrink each year. Very bright people, lots of structure and training. You always know what your next move should be.

Cons

Company has been around for a long time, lots of red tape. Culture is friendly but very guarded. Everyone is afraid to make a mistake so decisions are slow. Personnel decisions based on perception, not results. Products not on trend, 36 mos business outlook is bleak.

Good plan today is better than the perfect plan tomorrow.

Once a great company; hopefully will be again

Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Layoffs of some of the brightest people are going to really hurt this company for some time to come. The people that have worked the company for many years are being discounted. Pay is lower than industry.

Change has to be from the top down; not from the bottom up.

Lots of good but change needed

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Very smart people usually focused on what's best for General Mills; flexible work location and hours; engaging, challenging projects.

Cons

Career advancement (promotion) is extremely slow, especially after the lowest levels; not enough diversity, though the company does voice and in some cases demonstrate a commitment to it.

The CEO is virtually invisible to anyone below the executive level. Need to bring in someone with fresher ideas and someone who is willing to stand up in front of everyone and take ownership for bad news as well as good.

Great Company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Great place to work
    Flexible work schedule
    On-site day care

Cons

Recent layoffs
    Too many layers of management

Make more products consumers want