General Mills

General Mills Reviews in Minnesota

Updated Jun 24, 2014

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell

Ken Powell

Pros
  • Modest people, job security and healthy work life balance are some of the advantages(in 104 reviews)

• General Mills offers several great benefits(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance(in 49 reviews)

• Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult(in 14 reviews)

243 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Don't value the employee, value the politics

Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFlexible schedule and benefits packages

ConsExperience and ability to apply and produce are not valued. If you are morally and ethically challenged and have a good political bend you will do well. Rewards the young and inept, who aren't willing to pay the price and truly learn and execute.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly assess and reward employees on ability to produce and apply. Walk the talk and be progressive, innovative, and world class leaders instead of hiring or buying the world class technology / methods and then not executing or applying it.

Great place to work!

Business Planning Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThey are flexible with work-life balance. Their manager of people mantra is "Good to Great" and they really do stand behind that, offering managers various training classes. They have very good benefits and they pay is in-line with the competition.

ConsCareer path movement in their sales organization can be difficult. You really have to network continually and be on top of your career path at all times to continue moving up in the organization. HR is not very helpful for the most part, they seem to be very political and not really on your side.

Good company but not as good as before

Senior Food Scientist (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat benefits (but decreasing), good teamwork, great training opportunities. Can get experience in many different areas of food processing. Very good support services. Projects can be challenging

ConsToo many reorganizations. Work life balance tilting towards work. Projects can be menial.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many reorganizations, keep some continuity

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally a good place to work in IT.

Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Golden Valley, MN

ProsStrongly ethical company... I see a lot of honesty have no worries about coworkers or executives committing fraud or other offenses.
    Great brands. It's fun to see what you work on all over store shelves or in Super Bowl commercials.
    Lots of free food. It is quite common to get handed a free box of a newly launching product.
    In IT, there is an active focus on getting rid of obsolete technologies and keeping things up to date to avoid support nightmares.
    Unusually easy to switch jobs and try completely new areas of IT. I can move around in the company so I don't feel a lot of need to work somewhere else.

ConsPay seems to not be as good as some other companies.
    Promotions can be slow.
    Some of the famous work life balance is eroding, and overtime is becoming more frequent than it used to be.

Advice to Senior Management"More with less" is great for a time as it helps build efficiency, but at some point, it becomes time to ease the budget and hire more people. I think that time is probably here.

Worst year of my life.

Associate Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros- Looks good on resume for other employers

Cons- Being an AMM is like being lowest on the food chain
    - VERY political!
    - You can't have any kind of meeting without an extensive powerpoint deck that your manager made you stay up all weekend working on, only to pick apart ten times
    - Passive aggressive culture where nobody can give honest opinion
    - Unrealistic amount of work given to one person
    - Location - Minneapolis is a nightmare of cold weather and cold people

Advice to Senior ManagementLet new ideas and opinions flow through the company. Stop letting VPs micro manage ideas to death.

Great marketing training, but still a bureaucracy and a machine

Marketing Executive (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsTerrific marketing and general-management education
    Surrounded by top-notch talent at all levels
    True commitment to the brands and consumers

ConsA very political place -- need to know and kowtow to the right people
    Passive-aggressive behavior in discussions and decision-making
    A lot of meetings really slow things down (and a lot of it is for show)

Good people, good company

Manager (Current Employee) Golden Valley, MN

ProsDedicated, capable employees, wonderful work/life balance, good career opportunities

ConsSlow to respond to market changes, trying to figure out how to act like a global company

Advice to Senior ManagementGet closer to the boots on the ground

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work!

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsExcellent benefits including competitive salary, 401k match, cafeteria, dry cleaner on site, good vacation time, and work/life balance. Loved the rotational program and fun people. Often sample new products and see multiple parts of the business.

ConsOccasional mundane work and bureaucracy. Some entrenched practices and people, and a few get promoted not because they're good people managers but because they're good workers.

Overall good company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood benefits, on site amenities, good people

ConsConstant pressure to climb the corporate ladder/ "move up or out" mentality

Great company with Global opportunities

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosgreat network to learn and develop, plus work life balance is encouraged

Consmobility can be limited in smaller markets

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!