General Mills

General Mills Reviews in Minnesota

Updated Jun 24, 2014

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell

Ken Powell

Pros
  • Modest people, job security and healthy work life balance are some of the advantages(in 104 reviews)

• General Mills offers several great benefits(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance(in 49 reviews)

• Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult(in 14 reviews)

243 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Extremely positive experience at Gen Mills. Never been happier.

Business Management Associate (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsSuperior values and commitment to employee happiness and success.

ConsNone that I can see so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Potential for solid career path

Integrated Marketing Communications Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat benefits and smart people

ConsLearning how to navigate the corporate environment

Good Company, Great Benefits

Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood People, Great Work/Life Balance,

ConsNot many growth opportunities for those below management level

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finance Function

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Golden Valley, MN

ProsGreat people, Golden Valley campus amentities, Employee Networks, and Rotational Program

ConsLack of diversity, inablity to choose rotation (organization needs trumps personal development), and work/life balance

Manager Quality is Lacking

Associate Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood brand to have on the resume, job opportunities OUTSIDE of the company a few years into the role.

ConsManager Quality
    AMM role = doing all the grunt work
    Very slow promotion cycle
    Politics

For some the Glass is Half Empty, for others Half Full

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros+ You work with very talented, passionate and very smart people
    + The campus is lovely. Lots of in house amenities: a convenience store, dry cleaning, gym, cafeteria, coffee shop.
    + You work on some of the most recognized brands in market
    + Benefits and pay for marketers is good
    + Tons of focus on personal and professional investment. People development is a high priority to the organization
    + Focus on collaboration
    +Minneapolis is a great place to live. Just buy a good coat and car starter.
    + Highly ethical company

Cons- If you are like me and love trends and being on the forefront of innovation; then General Mills is not the place for you. Too slow to innovate. Too much focus on mass market consumer vs. up and coming niche opportunities. Example: GMI totally missed the ball on Greek yogurt. They are currently "missing the ball" on many other nutrition opportunity areas.

- Way to much focus on managing up, self promotion, "who you know", rather than on focusing on high quality work. To move up and be in good standing you have to set coffee time with the movers and shakers within the organization. That means that the real work needs to get done after hours. In the same light, too much focus on extracurriculars that do not add value to the business but add time and stress to employees day to day.

- Work Life balance can go both ways. Depends on what function you are in and who your manager is . Marketers work late into evenings and on weekends. Some bosses send Friday evening requests for Monday am deliverables. I did have other managers who would respect time after 5:00pm and during weekend. But there are more managers of the former than later style.

- Diversity is a myth. Though the company does focus and cater to hiring minorities, these are expected to fit a personality mold that is very Minnesotan. Communication styles of other cultures, which tends to be passionate and verbose get "corrected" with main point style that may seem un-natural to the culture. If you don't master the style and culture you are out. General Mills then, is not a diverse company. It seems like everybody is a cookie cutter image of one another. I would often refer to is as Stepford Wives Syndrome.

- Minnesota Nice - conversations between managers and employees are often sugar coated. The language that General Mills uses to communicate with employees when it comes to performance is very political. Managers communicating low performance can state it in a very positive light. You need to know how to translate the language or better yet, the company needs to be more honest and direct with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times.
    The biggest risk to the company is not taking risks. Though General Mills touts they are not afraid of failing and taking risks actions speak louder than words and they play it too safe. Truly embrace diversity not just from a multicultural background but from a personality and belief system background.
     Type A's aren't better at decision, specially in the light of the new millennial generation.

truly amazing

Vice President Marketing (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsPeople. Benefits. Culture. Brands. Everything about it.

ConsThey tout wanting candor, but they really dont. keep your mouth shut and you will do much better than if you speak up!

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

Excellent work life balance benefits.

Individual Contributor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsIt is possible to manage work and life at General Mills. Sometimes this means making a conscious choice to take a break from the career track or to be taken less seriously for the choice of working part time (this varies from department to department), but generally there is a healthy respect for having more to life than a job you love.

ConsLess so than elsewhere, I'm sure, there is still a bit of a stigma with being part time.

It is bitter sweet

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsMany amenities, enjoy perks provided when meeting goals, Have resources to get things done, which is a huge plus. Good about communication to employees.

ConsVery high school like in its culture - many clicks, people not always honest to your face, highly competitive, work life balance talked about but not really supported...

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust that your employees know what they are doing and have the necessary expertise. Support them when they show initiative.

Meh

Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat work life balance, great people to work with, great teams

ConsBoring work, individuals feel "overworked" when they put in over 40 hours a week, projects and deadlines can based around individual's personal schedule, causes problems for the rest of the team

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!