General Mills

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell

Ken Powell

243 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Company

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

Pros--- Great career opportunities and ability to move across departments. I wouldn't say it is "easy" but it is do-able if you prove to management you are capable.
    --- Great work-life balance. There is onsite daycare, fitness facility, bank, etc. at the corporate headquarters. Depending on the job, one could work from home. It was nice to be able to work from home when the kids were too sick for school/daycare.
    --- Low turnover. Many employees start there when they're 18 and retire there. Love the knowledge base. Some retire and comeback as consultants.
    --- CEO, executive management, middle management, etc. are approachable.
    --- During the few layoffs General Mills has had, the laid-off employees were often treated with dignity. (Granted this may have differed slightly from one division to the next.) For example, EVERY employee had a meeting with his/her manager no matter if he/she was going to be laid off. The laid-off employee also had the opportunity to work the rest of the day or the rest of the week. The laid-off employee also had the opportunity to say "good-bye".

Cons--- Some managers are better than others at guiding you on the career tract.
    --- Yes, it's a big corporation, so some things move very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for taking care of your employees.

Great company to work fo

Job Shadow (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsLots of financial analysts get into great mba programs such as Northwestern/UCLA/Harvard. Campus is amazing.

ConsLow room for growth outside of the specified growth structure

Very solid company, but a bit too cookie-cutter corporate

Business Planning Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat benefits when starting out (3 weeks vacation, no need to accrue), very high performing people who are self driven and motivated. Opportunities to succeed and showcase your talents. Very structured career paths designed to help employees move up the chain according to a specific plan. Company that cares about helping communities and getting employees involved.

ConsPolitical environment where who you suck up to matters too much. What committees and other things you're involved with for "exposure" carry too much weight come performance appraisal time. Performance of all individuals must be "calibrated" along a bell-type curve - that is, some people must be designated as "the best" while others are the "worst" ratings-wise. If you're the newest person at your level and it's been less than 6 months in-role, you automatically get the lowest rating possible.

Company touts flexibility and work-life balance on paper, but ultimately the business needs trump all.

Company slow to innovate, be bold with new items and do what it takes to win with best customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest and transparent with people - especially with regards to staffing decisions and outlooks.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very satisfied with all aspects - work environment, management, peer cooperation.

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsThe employees were happy, treated you well and always willing to help out.
    Management listened, were well trained in their roles, very willing to meet problems head on.
    Great work environment where you could tell the employees were happy and positive, lots of employees involved in company sponsored volunteering events.

ConsI had a lot of slowdown periods with no work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do well esp in your approach to keeping employees happy, positive and enthusiastic in doing a good job.

working family friendly with community like environment in headquarter location

Financial Associate (Current Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsIt is a great company in terms to work life balance. There is summer hour, flex work with only 7.5 hour a day M-F working hour. The headquarter location is very kids friendly with day care onsite.with may kids friendly decoration. My kids enjoy to visit the company with me. Also onsite, fitness center, bank, onsite county office, clinic, caribou coffee, big cafeteria. catering, salon, post office, concerige, company store. There are many employee clubs and many events that addressing daily life more than just business. Great working environment

ConsThis company put way too much emphasis on people skills, relationship, navigate system politically. Solid technical skills are not valued instead are taken as granted. technology here is outdated and IT staff here is not quite capable. It might due to its culture that only values social, people skill and overlook the solid technical skills. For a success team, only one or two good leaders are needed yet need many more people that know how to do the job. Hence, it is not a optimal environment for people strong at technical skills to grow and get promoted. It is a great place for people know how to talk and present and sell themselve.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to diversify its talent developing and promoting practice. Leadership should be narrowly defined as how to present and talk. It should refocus on people who knew it job well with solid technical skills by offering a career path with future.

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsI think like all companies. I am sure there are good areas and bad areas. Good projects and bad projects. I just happened to work with a weak Project Manager who on top of that is managing a big team remotely.

ConsWorking with a weak Project Manager who manages remotely. He could not control his team well, does not know what is going on. His judgment is based on listening to who he is close to or who he is Facebook friends with like one of the Oracle programmers. The project was failing from the get go. The PM needed an escape goat or a miracle worker to save this project. Naturally, he could not point to himself as the cause of the project failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Management need to be more aware. How could bad PM's continue to work there?

Great people, great company

Applications Analyst (Former Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsI both interned and worked full time at General Mills as a software developer. Let me state first and foremost that I loved working there, and that they always treated me really well.

Some pros, from a career standpoint:
    -The internship program is a well oiled machine. I would argue that it's almost flawless in its blend of appropriate sized projects, matching you with fellow employees as technical resources, and arranging social activities with other interns.
    -There's a wide variety of teams and technologies to move between if you so choose.
    -Smart, driven, friendly people everywhere. Since the company has such a low turnover rate, you may find yourself on a team with someone who has spent 15-20 years in a given technology. I particularly enjoyed being able to work directly with these people and draw knowledge from them.
    -Due diligence will ensure that you move up through the ranks. If you do your job and do it adequately, you will get promoted in time.
    -Best-in-class work life balance. Most teams let you work from home when it's convenient for you. You're encouraged to be in the office during core business hours (9am-3pm), but this is always flexible depending on your team and schedule.

Some pros, from a perks standpoint (at the headquarters building):
    -TONS of amenities. Onsite gas station, credit union, doctor, hair salon, fitness center, grocery store, caribou coffee.
    -Lots of employee networks and social activities.
    -Great benefits. 401k, pension plan, etc.

Cons-The typical red tape you'd expect at a big company.
    -From a software developer's perspective, you may not end up working on 'glamourous' projects. (Unless you're really passionate about product labeling, supply chain logistics, etc.)
    -In my opinion, deadlines are valued more than the quality of the product itself when it comes to software systems.
    -Again in my opinion, promotions seem to be too heavily tied to your manager. I've seen good managers that take time to lobby for the promotion of their employees, and I've seen managers that are too lazy to submit the promotion form. (As a caveat, most managers are indeed great, and the lazy ones are few and far between.)

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's some truly great managers at General Mills. Take note of what the best managers (go by employee feedback) are doing and try to get the rest of the managers to learn from them. Also encourage more innovation and don't be afraid to stray from the status quo.

Amazing experience - lots of impact and exposure even as an intern.

Business Management Associate Intern (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

Pros- Flexible hours (half day Fridays during the summer at headquarters)
    - Friendly people (they will go out of their way to help you)
    - Chill culture

Cons- Conservative culture means its hard to innovate at times

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a sponsorship program to constantly have young minds filtering through the company

GM Looks Great from the Outside!

Research and Development (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe inital flourish of saying you work for GM quickly leaves a bitter taste in your mouth when you realize that the company will never credit hard work.

ConsResearch and Development is clearly the skid mark of GM - and they make it known. The compensation is horrible for the amount of work that you do, don't even think about getting a promotion it will take you at least 4 years. At least.
    The managers...I honestly don't even know where to start with that. Every one is out for themselves in this company. I can't help but laugh a little at some of the "great" perks that others are mentioning, clearly they work(ed) at headquarters. I worked at one of the technical centers and we never got anything, except a memo telling us not to drill holes in the wall because of the Asbestos problem - thanks!

World Class Finance Leadership Development

Financial Analyst II (Former Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsGreat organization for developing finance skills.

ConsPositions at lower levels are very narrow in scope.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!

General Mills Videos

General Mills – Why Work for Us?

Our brands. Your legacy. Fortune magazine ranks us as one of the 100 best companies to work for in the United States, and BusinessWeek has tabbed General Mills as one of the best places to launch a career. We're the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Mills reviews and ratings in Minnesota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Mills CEO Ken Powell. All 243 reviews posted anonymously by General Mills employees.