General Mills

General Mills Reviews in Minnesota

Updated Jul 26, 2014

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell

Ken Powell

Pros
  • Modest people, job security and healthy work life balance are some of the advantages(in 104 reviews)

• General Mills offers several great benefits(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance(in 49 reviews)

• Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult(in 14 reviews)

244 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great foundational training and surrounded by top talent, but career progression an issue

Associate Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros1) Great brands
    2) Working with Top talent
    3) Excellent cross-functional partners
    4) Great people, which leads to a very positive culture

Cons1) Professional growth - limited upward mobility, but believe it might be getting better

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people with leadership qualities and actual management ability vs. just those that have proven they can "get things done" in the past. You have lost many great leaders because there is too much emphasis specifically on previous performance vs. looking forward. Losing these leaders leads to a degradation of culture and eventually a less diverse management team.

Good Company -Great People -Poor lay-off strategy

Brand Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou work with some of the smartest and generally good natured people that you'll ever work with. It's a great campus with great perks.

ConsSometimes it felt like the leadership team was either incompetent or hiding something. Also, the HR department definitely does not live by GMI's "integrity" policy. -I got laid off while on maternity leave, something they said the would "never do, Not at GMI" -BS, they did and I'm not the only one. Also, it's a highly political environment so mind your p's and q's.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on developing your talent and less on managing up.

Everyone is stressed out, company is challenged by society's movement away from packaged food.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Golden Valley, MN

ProsPension, half day Fridays in the summer, strong brands, excellent campus in Golden Valley

ConsLess autonomy than in the past. Work is less rewarding. Have committed to shareholders that General Mills will achieve profit targets through cost cutting. General Mills has strong enough brands where they should have top line growth rather than squeezing the middle of the income statement.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell products that people want.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Productive, Fast-Paced

IT Desktop Support (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsSome of the best aspects were the good overtime hours, intelligent and motivated co workers, and the upbeat office culture that was very family oriented. Spent a lot of time outside work building relationships.

ConsFound that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance. Also noticed that there seemed to be a very high turnover rate and many rules that felt very suffocating at times and made career building and hiring difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company values are well-placed, and the emphasis on out of the workplace bonding and volunteering added a lot to the overall culture and work relationships.

Great exposure, but very cookie-cutter with low salaries

Logistics Planner (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThere are a lot of people that are great to work with and it is very exciting to work on brands that people recognize and have personal connections to. If you're looking for a company to have a set career track, then this is the right company for you. It is a very conservative, slow-to-innovation Fortune 500 company with lots of project management opportunities.

ConsIf you're looking to branch out and make your own career choices, this is not the company for you. GMI is very conservative and super risk-averse... translation: things never change (even if they say they "want" things to change). The culture is definitely home-grown Minnesotan and definitely has a functional-silo mentality. Forget all of the things they tell you about "Supply Chain Innovation", this is a pure Marketing company- plain and simple... translation: you need to market yourself. GMI is very big on promoting from within to the "favorites" despite actual deliverables. GMI is also big on meetings before meetings before meetings before meetings because the consensus process takes FOREVER.

Also, they might have had work-life balance in the past. However, I typically work 50-70+ hrs/week while making $10k less than market value with ZERO overtime and minimal internal recognition. One big issue is regarding location. If the company asks you to move and you say no for whatever reason, you are put on a "list" that potentially prohibits upward mobilty. Oh and did I mention that you're expected to move every 1-2 years? Yea... not the best situation.

Overall, GMI used to be a great company, but is definitely not up to par for young, innovative career professionals.

Advice to Senior Management- increase base salaries: have a more robust compensation package for the amount of work we do (i.e. if we are going to burn out, we might as well get paid well!)

- truly execute against corporate goals to "act bold & move quickly": take greater calculated risks on projects, corporate culture and recruitment strategies (i.e. too much nepotism!)

- more " atta boys/girls": in lieu of increased compensation packages, at least reward those key players who ACTUALLY deliver at/above goal through recognition (i.e. a "good job well done" email goes a long way to improve employee morale)

- increase diversity: not just regarding ethnicity, but employees who do not have the EXACT same perspective and mentality to foster new and innovative ideas to 1) win the market QUICKLY & 2) retain young professionals since so many have left in the past 2 years (i.e. it's cheaper to retain an employee than fire & hire anew)

GMI a great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat people, Great Brands, Large Projects & Scope of work, Dedicated Leadership, Smart & Passionate employees, We can really make a difference, Great benefits!

ConsDuplicate work, LONG - mulitple meetings to complete a task, very conservative approach to all projects, a bit of rework and or clunky systems, we seem to always be reactive vs. proactive. We take too long to make a decision - we need to work quickly and make changes on the fly. Change could and should happen every 3-6 months - we need to keep up with the ever changing world.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace moving quickly, Streamlining processes, allow your vendors to work better for and with you, try to take outside advise - vs. make our vendors and team work "our process" - we need project leads to be experts in the projects they are leading - and we need them to be nimble. We often times, start with a solid end result in mind and then muddy it up with ALL the hoops we mandate.

Great Culture and work life balance

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsVery stable and management seems very approchable

ConsContracts jobs are for short period of time

Great company l!!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsOn the cutting edge of technology, benefits, incentives and there is always something fun fun going on!

ConsOften difficult to move up or move around, once pegged as an "Admin" found it challenging to move into other types of jobs not categorized to be 'admin jobs".

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people well and they will do well for you.

Great place to work

Programmer Analyst I (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThey care about the employee and developing the employee and balancing work and life.

ConsNone really. Only that if you're a software engineer, this is more of an application development shop and the pay is less than at other places. However, it's such a nice place, and there is very few layoffs here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

It was a challenging experience.

Associate Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou have an incoming class of bright, young people your age.

ConsYou do not truly have much ownership or authority in such a large company.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!