General Mills Reviews in Minnesota

Updated October 9, 2014
3.7

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • Work-life balance depends on position and location and department management (in 115 reviews)

• Great benefits (but decreasing), good teamwork, great training opportunities (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared for a poor work-life balance if working in a plant production facility (in 52 reviews)

• Slow decision making, progression in one's career can seem very slow and formulaic (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

265 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great training, but many are more focused on internal relationships than actually winning in market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Breadth of portfolio and geographies served
    On site gym, health care, store, caribou
    Training, rotational program

Cons

Culture is so consensus driven it can't move very fast

Start hiring externally, lay people off sooner when it isn't an ideal fit

Everyone is stressed out, company is challenged by society's movement away from packaged food.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pension, half day Fridays in the summer, strong brands, excellent campus in Golden Valley

Cons

Less autonomy than in the past. Work is less rewarding. Have committed to shareholders that General Mills will achieve profit targets through cost cutting. General Mills has strong enough brands where they should have top line growth rather than squeezing the middle of the income statement.

Sell products that people want.

Good Company -Great People -Poor lay-off strategy

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You work with some of the smartest and generally good natured people that you'll ever work with. It's a great campus with great perks.

Cons

Sometimes it felt like the leadership team was either incompetent or hiding something. Also, the HR department definitely does not live by GMI's "integrity" policy. -I got laid off while on maternity leave, something they said the would "never do, Not at GMI" -BS, they did and I'm not the only one. Also, it's a highly political environment so mind your p's and q's.

Focus more on developing your talent and less on managing up.

Great foundational training and surrounded by top talent, but career progression an issue

Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Great brands
    2) Working with Top talent
    3) Excellent cross-functional partners
    4) Great people, which leads to a very positive culture

Cons

1) Professional growth - limited upward mobility, but believe it might be getting better

Focus on people with leadership qualities and actual management ability vs. just those that have proven they can "get things done" in the past. You have lost many great leaders because there is too much emphasis specifically on previous performance vs. looking forward. Losing these leaders leads to a degradation of culture and eventually a less diverse management team.

Productive, Fast-Paced

Former Employee - IT Desktop Support in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Desktop Support in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the best aspects were the good overtime hours, intelligent and motivated co workers, and the upbeat office culture that was very family oriented. Spent a lot of time outside work building relationships.

Cons

Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance. Also noticed that there seemed to be a very high turnover rate and many rules that felt very suffocating at times and made career building and hiring difficult.

The company values are well-placed, and the emphasis on out of the workplace bonding and volunteering added a lot to the overall culture and work relationships.

Great exposure, but very cookie-cutter with low salaries

Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of people that are great to work with and it is very exciting to work on brands that people recognize and have personal connections to. If you're looking for a company to have a set career track, then this is the right company for you. It is a very conservative, slow-to-innovation Fortune 500 company with lots of project management opportunities.

Cons

If you're looking to branch out and make your own career choices, this is not the company for you. GMI is very conservative and super risk-averse... translation: things never change (even if they say they "want" things to change). The culture is definitely home-grown Minnesotan and definitely has a functional-silo mentality. Forget all of the things they tell you about "Supply Chain Innovation", this is a pure Marketing company- plain and simple... translation: you need to market yourself. GMI is very big on promoting from within to the "favorites" despite actual deliverables. GMI is also big on meetings before meetings before meetings before meetings because the consensus process takes FOREVER.

Also, they might have had work-life balance in the past. However, I typically work 50-70+ hrs/week while making $10k less than market value with ZERO overtime and minimal internal recognition. One big issue is regarding location. If the company asks you to move and you say no for whatever reason, you are put on a "list" that potentially prohibits upward mobilty. Oh and did I mention that you're expected to move every 1-2 years? Yea... not the best situation.

Overall, GMI used to be a great company, but is definitely not up to par for young, innovative career professionals.

- increase base salaries: have a more robust compensation package for the amount of work we do (i.e. if we are going to burn out, we might as well get paid well!)

- truly execute against corporate goals to "act bold & move quickly": take greater calculated risks on projects, corporate culture and recruitment strategies (i.e. too much nepotism!)

- more " atta boys/girls": in lieu of increased compensation packages, at least reward those key players who ACTUALLY deliver at/above goal through recognition (i.e. a "good job well done" email goes a long way to improve employee morale)

- increase diversity: not just regarding ethnicity, but employees who do not have the EXACT same perspective and mentality to foster new and innovative ideas to 1) win the market QUICKLY & 2) retain young professionals since so many have left in the past 2 years (i.e. it's cheaper to retain an employee than fire & hire anew)

GMI a great place to work!

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, Great Brands, Large Projects & Scope of work, Dedicated Leadership, Smart & Passionate employees, We can really make a difference, Great benefits!

Cons

Duplicate work, LONG - mulitple meetings to complete a task, very conservative approach to all projects, a bit of rework and or clunky systems, we seem to always be reactive vs. proactive. We take too long to make a decision - we need to work quickly and make changes on the fly. Change could and should happen every 3-6 months - we need to keep up with the ever changing world.

Embrace moving quickly, Streamlining processes, allow your vendors to work better for and with you, try to take outside advise - vs. make our vendors and team work "our process" - we need project leads to be experts in the projects they are leading - and we need them to be nimble. We often times, start with a solid end result in mind and then muddy it up with ALL the hoops we mandate.

Great company l!!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

On the cutting edge of technology, benefits, incentives and there is always something fun fun going on!

Cons

Often difficult to move up or move around, once pegged as an "Admin" found it challenging to move into other types of jobs not categorized to be 'admin jobs".

Treat your people well and they will do well for you.

Great Culture and work life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very stable and management seems very approchable

Cons

Contracts jobs are for short period of time

Great place to work

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They care about the employee and developing the employee and balancing work and life.

Cons

None really. Only that if you're a software engineer, this is more of an application development shop and the pay is less than at other places. However, it's such a nice place, and there is very few layoffs here.

Keep up the good work.