General Mills

Updated January 29, 2015
3.5

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • You can have a good work life balance if you make it a priority (in 118 reviews)

• Great benefits (but decreasing), good teamwork, great training opportunities (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared for a poor work-life balance if working in a plant production facility (in 53 reviews)

• Slow decision making, progression in one's career can seem very slow and formulaic (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

288 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sr. R&D Technician 2 - This company was a different entity 5 years ago. What is has become saddens me.

Former Employee - Senior R&D Technician II in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior R&D Technician II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of perks to keep you on campus spending your peanuts at the company stores. Multiple training and volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Lower than market average pay, little consideration for employees welfare or work life balance.
    They preach a work environment of inclusion for all working styles as long as your working style is an extrovert. Meetings are held for the sake of meetings. All of which center around the HQ. Be prepared to make multiple trips per day to HQ if you are at one of the offsite tech centers.
    Even with the time suck of meetings real work is still expected to happen. There were many days that I left home with my daughter still sleeping only to return to her already in bed. Work life balance was a joke.
    Be prepared to be on call for any production issues at any time. They will call your home and personal cell phone number for any issue they do not want to deal with. All production issues will suddenly formulation issues and you need to fix it yesterday.
    Leadership was promoted based on who they know, who their political allies are and not on ability to lead or perform.
    Advancement - slow and difficult. Again due to being a highly political environment it's about who you know and who you have on your side.
    Project work - Like to juggle? Then this is the company for you. Be prepared to juggle multiple projects, meetings and commuting to attend meetings while still trying to keep the (often) unrealistic new product development requests in check from sales and marketing.
    Volunteering - GMI has made a strong and definitive statement that it is committed to helping the community. It recruits employees heavily to help with it's various philanthropic efforts. However employees were once able to volunteer for small period of time during business hours. Now all volunteer work (highly encouraged - aka required) must be done in the little personal free time the company allows you.

Increase compensation to encourage retention of good employees and new hires.
    Be mindful that to have a truly diverse workforce you must have multiples working styles. Embrace the introverts.
    Be committed to appropriate work life balance. Make it more than lip service.
    Enough with the meetings. Evaluate the meetings being scheduled. Do they add value? Is a meeting needed?
    Promote based on results not politics. This should be obvious.
    If volunteering is being so highly encouraged they allow for some work flexibility. That is why your volunteering numbers have tanked.
    Use layoffs to help low performing / bad fit employees find something that is right for them. See Amazon's policy where employees are paid to leave.
    Evaluate the projects that are being taken on. Do they add value to our portfolio as well as our customers? Are they profitable and sustainable? If not then cut your losses early.

Solid benefits but culture is on a downward spiral

Current Employee - Department Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, some very good people, and good brands

Cons

Corporate culture is now consulting based. Hotelling for desks, separation of duties for scalability, and self promotion to get to the top. Unfortunately it is more important to talk about why you cannot do something and form a committee than it is to do the actual work. Because of this some very good people are leaving and it will probably have to get worse before it gets better

Get rid of the leaders who cannot execute or judge talent and promote the right people.

GM is good company to work at, taking a proper care of the employees work, lunch and exercising.

Former Employee - Oracle Contractor in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Oracle Contractor in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at General Mills as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Can work at different places and still be accessible to everybody
    Team work is mixed with independent mode of work in customized proportion.
    Lots of eating places, small stores, expositions to drop stress.

Cons

More of project inclined than functional, GM does not provide good skills for Oracle Data warehousing, but rather trying to reuse Oracle transactional programming for the DW situation leading to confusion.
    Light environment lets mediocrity to flourish.

Give some training to Oracle contractors of the SAP using Oracle as back end environment.
    Allow contractors to use exercise machines.

Great training, but many are more focused on internal relationships than actually winning in market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Breadth of portfolio and geographies served
    On site gym, health care, store, caribou
    Training, rotational program

Cons

Culture is so consensus driven it can't move very fast

Start hiring externally, lay people off sooner when it isn't an ideal fit

Good Company -Great People -Poor lay-off strategy

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You work with some of the smartest and generally good natured people that you'll ever work with. It's a great campus with great perks.

Cons

Sometimes it felt like the leadership team was either incompetent or hiding something. Also, the HR department definitely does not live by GMI's "integrity" policy. -I got laid off while on maternity leave, something they said the would "never do, Not at GMI" -BS, they did and I'm not the only one. Also, it's a highly political environment so mind your p's and q's.

Focus more on developing your talent and less on managing up.

Everyone is stressed out, company is challenged by society's movement away from packaged food.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pension, half day Fridays in the summer, strong brands, excellent campus in Golden Valley

Cons

Less autonomy than in the past. Work is less rewarding. Have committed to shareholders that General Mills will achieve profit targets through cost cutting. General Mills has strong enough brands where they should have top line growth rather than squeezing the middle of the income statement.

Sell products that people want.

Great foundational training and surrounded by top talent, but career progression an issue

Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Great brands
    2) Working with Top talent
    3) Excellent cross-functional partners
    4) Great people, which leads to a very positive culture

Cons

1) Professional growth - limited upward mobility, but believe it might be getting better

Focus on people with leadership qualities and actual management ability vs. just those that have proven they can "get things done" in the past. You have lost many great leaders because there is too much emphasis specifically on previous performance vs. looking forward. Losing these leaders leads to a degradation of culture and eventually a less diverse management team.

Productive, Fast-Paced

Former Employee - IT Desktop Support in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Desktop Support in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the best aspects were the good overtime hours, intelligent and motivated co workers, and the upbeat office culture that was very family oriented. Spent a lot of time outside work building relationships.

Cons

Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance. Also noticed that there seemed to be a very high turnover rate and many rules that felt very suffocating at times and made career building and hiring difficult.

The company values are well-placed, and the emphasis on out of the workplace bonding and volunteering added a lot to the overall culture and work relationships.

Great exposure, but very cookie-cutter with low salaries

Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of people that are great to work with and it is very exciting to work on brands that people recognize and have personal connections to. If you're looking for a company to have a set career track, then this is the right company for you. It is a very conservative, slow-to-innovation Fortune 500 company with lots of project management opportunities.

Cons

If you're looking to branch out and make your own career choices, this is not the company for you. GMI is very conservative and super risk-averse... translation: things never change (even if they say they "want" things to change). The culture is definitely home-grown Minnesotan and definitely has a functional-silo mentality. Forget all of the things they tell you about "Supply Chain Innovation", this is a pure Marketing company- plain and simple... translation: you need to market yourself. GMI is very big on promoting from within to the "favorites" despite actual deliverables. GMI is also big on meetings before meetings before meetings before meetings because the consensus process takes FOREVER.

Also, they might have had work-life balance in the past. However, I typically work 50-70+ hrs/week while making $10k less than market value with ZERO overtime and minimal internal recognition. One big issue is regarding location. If the company asks you to move and you say no for whatever reason, you are put on a "list" that potentially prohibits upward mobilty. Oh and did I mention that you're expected to move every 1-2 years? Yea... not the best situation.

Overall, GMI used to be a great company, but is definitely not up to par for young, innovative career professionals.

- increase base salaries: have a more robust compensation package for the amount of work we do (i.e. if we are going to burn out, we might as well get paid well!)

- truly execute against corporate goals to "act bold & move quickly": take greater calculated risks on projects, corporate culture and recruitment strategies (i.e. too much nepotism!)

- more " atta boys/girls": in lieu of increased compensation packages, at least reward those key players who ACTUALLY deliver at/above goal through recognition (i.e. a "good job well done" email goes a long way to improve employee morale)

- increase diversity: not just regarding ethnicity, but employees who do not have the EXACT same perspective and mentality to foster new and innovative ideas to 1) win the market QUICKLY & 2) retain young professionals since so many have left in the past 2 years (i.e. it's cheaper to retain an employee than fire & hire anew)

GMI a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, Great Brands, Large Projects & Scope of work, Dedicated Leadership, Smart & Passionate employees, We can really make a difference, Great benefits!

Cons

Duplicate work, LONG - mulitple meetings to complete a task, very conservative approach to all projects, a bit of rework and or clunky systems, we seem to always be reactive vs. proactive. We take too long to make a decision - we need to work quickly and make changes on the fly. Change could and should happen every 3-6 months - we need to keep up with the ever changing world.

Embrace moving quickly, Streamlining processes, allow your vendors to work better for and with you, try to take outside advise - vs. make our vendors and team work "our process" - we need project leads to be experts in the projects they are leading - and we need them to be nimble. We often times, start with a solid end result in mind and then muddy it up with ALL the hoops we mandate.