General Mills Reviews

Updated April 12, 2015
316 reviews filtered by
  • Minnesota

Company that will take care of you.

Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than a year)

Pros

GMI is great about professional development among their employees. Its also a company with strong values and ethics. The culture was supportive and open to employee feedback. Vacation days and was generous compared to other companies.

Cons

The work load was not evenly dispersed. There seemed to be certain functions that was used to passing the work off onto other functions. Making decisions were a long process because they values a consensus culture. Even though management was open to new ideas, it was difficult to implement change if you were not in a managerial role.

Advice to Management

While there are some great managers at GMI, there are managers that management is not their strength but may have gotten the managerial role because of the # of years working for GMI.

Great leadership opportunities, but rotational programs can be too formulaic at times

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values are spot on. Integrity is always number one, and employees have professional respect for each other at the workplace. The highlights of my career so far have been the variety of leadership opportunities I have had. In most case you have autonomy to tweak your role and re-prioritize as you see fit.

Cons

Company is slow growth and well established (could also be a pro) - so how is this a con? Only in regard to career progression. In most cases this means that career paths are well established and pre-defined, meaning that programs tend to be formulaic and sometimes you will feel like a cog in a wheel regardless of your performance relative to your peers.

Former Good Company

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

Great benefits and onsite amenities
    Great training and work life opportunities at headquarters

Cons

The company is slow and too Minnesota Nice. It is not innovative and executes new products poorly. Even with concerted efforts, diversity is weak in areas R&D and Sales.

We miss Greek Yogurt and spent millions to catch up. We've missed most food innovations in the last 5 years. We play the best small food company that is big enough to copy others.

Advice to Management

Use process correctly. Be serious about diversity. Promote leaders based on results and not on their ability to be the typical "cutout" for Minnesota.

Started great, now not so great

Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

I have been at General Mills in IT just over two years including time as a contractor. I came onboard as an "experienced hire" with quite a bit of experience. I felt I was hired based on experience and my salary seems to have reflected that. I work on a talented team of Service Desk Professionals that know their area of expertise well. It is a very military friendly company who takes pride in the veterans and who goes out of their way for them.

Cons

Currently the morale in my department is quite low. The low morale is not conducive to a good work environment. Adding to the low morale is a general distrust of the managers due to the lack of communication and all support calls and screens being recorded. My current manager is clueless and the manager above him is a complete type A control freak who does not appreciate anything other than what she knows or has set forth.

The current company decision making is too slow and does not give the sense of a company moving forward other than purchasing other companies.

Management at General Mills does not like to hear the word "NO" when it comes to any decision, process, idea etc. One can have supporting evidence and a valid reason why you said "NO" and it will fall on deaf ears and be ignored. The repercussion to the employee is a bad end of year review with a reputation of being "difficult to work with". This also leads into the "nice" culture at the corporate offices. They are too nice which leads to bad decisions being made because no stands up to say "no" when it should be said.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees we have more experience than you do at times. Allow for new ways of doing things and be receptive to the differences in how or what someone uses to do their job. In my department stop being so controlling of your employees many of whom are experienced and know their job very well.

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

work/life balance and flexibility is excellent, it is not about how many hours you put in but rather how well you do your work and if you perform as expected. Gives the incentive to work smarter. Great brands and proud that more organic and sustainable products is being added. A lot of good intentions and ideas.

Cons

Typical corporate environment where the left hand doesn't know (or worse: compete with) what the right hand does. A lot of energy is used on putting out fires and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Challenging to come in as an experienced hire as most there are college hires that has been there for ages. Adds a sorority feeling to the place where it very much is about who you know.

General Mills Response

Nov 5, 2014Recruiting Communication Specialist

The success of General Mills relies on the success of our employees; we have heard your concerns and suggestions and will share them with our leadership team as appropriate.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice pay, good environment, good coworkers

Cons

Peer pressure, deadline stress on projects

Advice to Management

Outsource more talent

Great people, defiantly corporate america though

Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are genuine, managers are very helpful. They always are looking out for your future position. Team building activities can be fun also!

Cons

Can be "stuffy" at times. Some employees only look out for themselves so that can get frustrating. Corporate red tape is tough to navigate.

Advice to Management

Keep emphasis on individual development plans

Stale cereal?

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely competent peers. Amazing head office. Does the right thing (motive at times?).

Cons

Slow, cliquish, and arrogant. Too much emphasis put on selling ideas inside vs objective analysis. Relationship focus has gone far beyond point of diminishing returns. Supply Chain talent and leadership is top notch, although lots of key leaders retiring. Despite fanciful recruiting, bench is always said to be "weak, thin" by HR. Certain functions that are not accountable for business results carry too much weight and influence. Climate survey, recognition, leadership development, training models are severely broken. Marketing rotation frequency dilutes accountability. Marketing appeals to narrow consumer base and lacks edge. Minnesota nice culture is a MAJOR barrier to trust, creativity, and healthy debate.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the effectiveness of marketing. Ask, how do you measure the effectiveness of HR? Ditch the pitch and get raw. Expose the mirage...browse champions network functional webpages...it is a visible representation of the clutter and waste in the "organization". Limit powerpoint decks to 5 slides....forces directness, decisions, and discipline.

General Mills Response

Nov 5, 2014Recruiting Communication Specialist

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. All Glassdoor comments are confidential, however please know as a current General Mills employee if you would like to discuss your concerns directly ... More

Pain everyday, don't do it!

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Guessing the place could have been nice during the processed food glory days.

Cons

Over-matrixed to the max. This place doesn't allow for anything to get done. Why not meet for coffee three times prior to discussing the real work?...Especially during a time when old school food companies are being disrupted by smarter, leaner and more nimble food start-ups.

Advice to Management

Catalyst aka Change demonstrated loyalty to those that have been with the company twenty years. If you are serious about wanting to change, perhaps keeping some of the new experienced hires that know what the world looks like outside the mills would be helpful. If you are truly "consumer first" you may want to note that consumers aren't into processed foods, sugar or cereal anymore...and care a lot about GMOs and product transparency.

Smart, but slow

Current Employee - Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can have a good work life balance if you make it a priority. You work with a ton of smart and resourceful people. You can help shape your career through activities and experiences you would like to achieve.

Cons

Working with so many smart and resourceful people even a top performer can be in the middle of the pack in terms of promotions. Wage is below industry averages. Early in a technician's career the pay is hard to swallow despite working for a successful company. I know quite a few technicians who have gotten second jobs to supplement their income.

Advice to Management

People need to take priority over profits.