General Mills

General Mills Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell

Ken Powell

Pros
  • Modest people, job security and healthy work life balance are some of the advantages(in 104 reviews)

• General Mills offers several great benefits(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance(in 49 reviews)

• Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult(in 14 reviews)

Best job I've ever had.

Processing IP (Current Employee) Hannibal, MO

ProsGreat pay for my area of the country. Great benefits-health insurance, prescription coverage, dental, 401k with company match, legal services, a local credit unions attached, discounts on insurance through met life, yearly cost of living increases, bonus, perks include discounts at the local YMCA, restaurants, & car purchases.

ConsIt's hot working conditions, management could be better, many minor injuries small cuts and bruises are common. Forced overtime cuts into work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on equality and communication. Plays favorites and nepotism is common problem.

Excellent people, programs. A good place to work.

QRO (Current Employee)

ProsWhen I got to the plant, everyone was helpful, friendly and welcoming. I enjoy the office culture, people are very open, willing to help or put you in the right direction. It has been a very collaborative environment, and a great place to get to know people professionally. If you need an expert, there's always someone in the company that you can look up, contact, and throw time on their calendar to talk things through.

ConsSome positions in manufacturing locations will require you to be on call all day and accessible by phone.

A great place to work- highly skilled employees and a clear vision

Prosrelationship company, work-life balance, advancement opportunities if you work hard

Constough time in the CPG industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great exposure, but very cookie-cutter with low salaries

Logistics Planner (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThere are a lot of people that are great to work with and it is very exciting to work on brands that people recognize and have personal connections to. If you're looking for a company to have a set career track, then this is the right company for you. It is a very conservative, slow-to-innovation Fortune 500 company with lots of project management opportunities.

ConsIf you're looking to branch out and make your own career choices, this is not the company for you. GMI is very conservative and super risk-averse... translation: things never change (even if they say they "want" things to change). The culture is definitely home-grown Minnesotan and definitely has a functional-silo mentality. Forget all of the things they tell you about "Supply Chain Innovation", this is a pure Marketing company- plain and simple... translation: you need to market yourself. GMI is very big on promoting from within to the "favorites" despite actual deliverables. GMI is also big on meetings before meetings before meetings before meetings because the consensus process takes FOREVER.

Also, they might have had work-life balance in the past. However, I typically work 50-70+ hrs/week while making $10k less than market value with ZERO overtime and minimal internal recognition. One big issue is regarding location. If the company asks you to move and you say no for whatever reason, you are put on a "list" that potentially prohibits upward mobilty. Oh and did I mention that you're expected to move every 1-2 years? Yea... not the best situation.

Overall, GMI used to be a great company, but is definitely not up to par for young, innovative career professionals.

Advice to Senior Management- increase base salaries: have a more robust compensation package for the amount of work we do (i.e. if we are going to burn out, we might as well get paid well!)

- truly execute against corporate goals to "act bold & move quickly": take greater calculated risks on projects, corporate culture and recruitment strategies (i.e. too much nepotism!)

- more " atta boys/girls": in lieu of increased compensation packages, at least reward those key players who ACTUALLY deliver at/above goal through recognition (i.e. a "good job well done" email goes a long way to improve employee morale)

- increase diversity: not just regarding ethnicity, but employees who do not have the EXACT same perspective and mentality to foster new and innovative ideas to 1) win the market QUICKLY & 2) retain young professionals since so many have left in the past 2 years (i.e. it's cheaper to retain an employee than fire & hire anew)

Positive place to work; too focused on non-results matters

ProsRelationship based culture makes it feel like a family company
    "Staple" products make job security high
    There is inherent value placed on developing people.
    Compensation is at least average. Benefits are slightly above average.

ConsThe company values diversity but defines it narrowly (gender, race). This can lead to perceived diversity when everyone is actually quite similar in how they think.
    The best employees are sometimes forgotten. During the tough years, the company held back everyone equally instead of investing in the need-to-retain talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease equity between HQ and field locations. It's like two different companies.
    Invest in your top performers before they complain.

Good Company -Great People -Poor lay-off strategy

Brand Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou work with some of the smartest and generally good natured people that you'll ever work with. It's a great campus with great perks.

ConsSometimes it felt like the leadership team was either incompetent or hiding something. Also, the HR department definitely does not live by GMI's "integrity" policy. -I got laid off while on maternity leave, something they said the would "never do, Not at GMI" -BS, they did and I'm not the only one. Also, it's a highly political environment so mind your p's and q's.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on developing your talent and less on managing up.

Great foundational training and surrounded by top talent, but career progression an issue

Associate Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros1) Great brands
    2) Working with Top talent
    3) Excellent cross-functional partners
    4) Great people, which leads to a very positive culture

Cons1) Professional growth - limited upward mobility, but believe it might be getting better

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people with leadership qualities and actual management ability vs. just those that have proven they can "get things done" in the past. You have lost many great leaders because there is too much emphasis specifically on previous performance vs. looking forward. Losing these leaders leads to a degradation of culture and eventually a less diverse management team.

Good Company

Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Juan, PR

ProsExcellent Benefits Car Health 401K Very Organized

ConsNeeded more market investment Good Brands

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work get a bit more involved

great company who care about their employee - true for the HQ

Senior Engineer II (Current Employee) Carson, CA

Proswork life balance is not frown upon. Career growth is limited if not willing to relocate

Conscompensation does not account for cost of living differences

Productive, Fast-Paced

IT Desktop Support (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsSome of the best aspects were the good overtime hours, intelligent and motivated co workers, and the upbeat office culture that was very family oriented. Spent a lot of time outside work building relationships.

ConsFound that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance. Also noticed that there seemed to be a very high turnover rate and many rules that felt very suffocating at times and made career building and hiring difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company values are well-placed, and the emphasis on out of the workplace bonding and volunteering added a lot to the overall culture and work relationships.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!