General Mills
www.generalmills.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

General Mills Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Benefits are great, the company values are excellent, great work life balance"
    in 102 reviews
  • "General Mills offers several great benefits"
    in 40 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also the Kroger team does not offer any work life balance"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great People, good atmosphere

Covington, GA

Prosthe people are motivating and inspiring
    the work is challenging and you are given a lot of responsibility
    it is a very inclusive atmosphere

Consthe plant locations are not in prime cities
    there is a very strong culture that you either fit in or don't

Advice to Senior Managementtake more time to visit manufacturing environments

General Mills - Generally a good place to work

Manufacturing Manager (Current Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsCommitted to producing high quality products.
    Many opportunities for professional growth.

ConsLeadership not committed to individual development - few managers know how to assist othesr with development.
    Manufacturing leadership often sets unrealistic goals, then accepts superficial and unsustainable results.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time necessary to evaluate results and gains to ensure that the results are sustainable. Make a real commtment to developing people - There is MUCH to be gained with a small investment in increasing the effectiveness of individuals.

After 14 years, still Love it here!

Minneapolis, MN

ProsPeople! the Passion we have is amazing, but people care about others too!

ConsWe all work and give our best, and sometimes that means we work a little too hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to Communicate.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An ideal place to work

Minneapolis, MN

Pros- Diversity at forefront of values
    - Career advancement opportunities and transparency abound
    - Work is recognized and rewarded
    - Management style is mainly laid-back: we work hard, we play hard

Cons- Retention of those who shouldn't be: GMI loves its employees and it hates letting anyone go. Great for job security, but it means you will certainly work with someone who shouldn't be there.

Advice to Senior Management- Keep doing what you're doing on staying transparent and rewarding a good job when it's due
    - Be more critical about who you're keeping around: some people can be too difficult to work with effectively, dampening our shared goal of driving results

General Mills - Exciting environment with smart colleagues

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGeneral Mills is one of the best work environments I have ever experienced. The work is varied and interesting, and I am surrounded with bright people who treat others with respect.

ConsI honestly do not have any downsides to report about General Mills. I've been working in professional positions for 20+ years and this is the most satisfying environment I've worked in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job at providing a positive, respectful work environment for highly capable people, and for navigating a difficult economy successfully.

General Mills Team Leader II

Team Leader II (Current Employee)
    West Chicago, IL

ProsThere is a high level of competency amongst the peer group, which I believe can be attributable to the tests taken during the interview process. Management was free to give you the reigns on projects or daily tactical responses, showing a high level of trust. The company size yields greater development opportunities.

ConsWe all worked a lot of hours 50+ per week. The work day was designed at 9 hours, then you may have to work an additional 5+ to accomplish other things you are working on, or hold meetings with different shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGeneral Mills application of policy is not necessarily consistent. In addition, many individuals from the corporate office are sent to the field to "learn". I think this could be accomplished earlier in an individual's career vs. in the role of department managers.

Operations Management Associate

Operations Management Associate (Former Employee)
    West Chicago, IL

ProsExciting, ability to lead and create change.

Constoo many hours. stressful. unions

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on your people

Good Company to Start Your Post MBA Career

Associate Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood training and development. The company let's you take early responsibility as a marketer and you learn General Management principles early on.

ConsPassive aggressive culture can lead to some surprises. The marketing track is extremely competitive and it's not always about your performance when it comes to getting promotion. Bottom line there's not enough spots for everyone so stay close to your headhunters. Get off to a fast start your first year or forget about getting to the next level. The best and brightest are at the company's choice so any blemishes can hurt.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with your promotion practices; no need to keep us all in the dark. Also, invest in training your managers to actually manage and develop people. They're great at running business but not all are created equal when developing people. Very hit or miss at that can hurt you early.

General Mills

Minneapolis, MN

ProsOverall corporate concern with finding the best position within the company that matches employee skills. Salary and bonus levels very generous. Commitment to family is unmatched by other companies.

ConsAbility to communicate senior leadership goals into workable, measureable objectives for mid-level management. Ability to recognize and reward efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on employee work-life balance. Maintain

Receptionist Interview

Receptionist (Former Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsGeneral Mills was a great place to work. I enjoyed every minute of it. I would definitely recommend working there.

ConsNothing really comes to mind about negatives with General Mills. They were a good company to work for and I worked with really great people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGeneral Mills was a great place to work. I enjoyed every minute of it. I would definitely recommend working there.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!

General Mills Videos

General Mills – Why Work for Us?

Our brands. Your legacy. Fortune magazine ranks us as one of the 100 best companies to work for in the United States, and BusinessWeek has tabbed General Mills as one of the best places to launch a career. We're the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Mills reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Mills CEO Ken Powell. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by General Mills employees.