General Mills

General Mills Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell

Ken Powell

Pros
  • Modest people, job security and healthy work life balance are some of the advantages(in 104 reviews)

• General Mills offers several great benefits(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance(in 49 reviews)

• Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult(in 14 reviews)

Excellent people, programs. A good place to work.

QRO (Current Employee)

ProsWhen I got to the plant, everyone was helpful, friendly and welcoming. I enjoy the office culture, people are very open, willing to help or put you in the right direction. It has been a very collaborative environment, and a great place to get to know people professionally. If you need an expert, there's always someone in the company that you can look up, contact, and throw time on their calendar to talk things through.

ConsSome positions in manufacturing locations will require you to be on call all day and accessible by phone.

Best job I've ever had.

Processing IP (Current Employee) Hannibal, MO

ProsGreat pay for my area of the country. Great benefits-health insurance, prescription coverage, dental, 401k with company match, legal services, a local credit unions attached, discounts on insurance through met life, yearly cost of living increases, bonus, perks include discounts at the local YMCA, restaurants, & car purchases.

ConsIt's hot working conditions, management could be better, many minor injuries small cuts and bruises are common. Forced overtime cuts into work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on equality and communication. Plays favorites and nepotism is common problem.

A great place to work- highly skilled employees and a clear vision

Prosrelationship company, work-life balance, advancement opportunities if you work hard

Constough time in the CPG industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company is great to work for!

ProsGreat work-life balance. Don't feel the stress to work from home at the end of the day like other companies

ConsVery meeting heavy and not give you time to fulful your daily duties

Great place to work!

ProsGreat work/life balance, development and promotion opportunities. Good values and a positive culture.

ConsCorporate actions and expectations sometimes do not align with field abilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the field operations more.

Great company l!!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsOn the cutting edge of technology, benefits, incentives and there is always something fun fun going on!

ConsOften difficult to move up or move around, once pegged as an "Admin" found it challenging to move into other types of jobs not categorized to be 'admin jobs".

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people well and they will do well for you.

Thoroughly enjoyed my years with General Mills

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat work life balance, benefits and investment in training. Excellent pay and bonus structure. You are encouraged to advance your career by rotating through multiple positions. Many benefits are available at the corporate campus such as daycare, outstanding cafeteria, auto care facility, company store, many services, etc.

ConsExtreme emphasis is given to college degrees rather than experience. The climate at corporate headquarters can be overwhelming for those not used to such an atmosphere.

Great company

Prosgreat culture : open supportive encouraging

Constoo many meetings - too many people to convince slows down decision

Worked at Yoplait/Columbo yogurt in Methuen, MA - Great company, great management.

Machine Operator/Production Tech (Former Employee) Methuen, MA

ProsOrganization was managed extremely well. Company was doing well when I was employed so 401K match was doubled for all. Working environment was light and pleasant, and the workforce had good morale.

ConsFactory environment so very rigid work/break structure. Not a negative of the company as much as the career path.

Great place to work

Programmer Analyst I (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThey care about the employee and developing the employee and balancing work and life.

ConsNone really. Only that if you're a software engineer, this is more of an application development shop and the pay is less than at other places. However, it's such a nice place, and there is very few layoffs here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!