General Mills

Updated November 25, 2014
3.6

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • You can have a good work life balance if you make it a priority (in 118 reviews)

• Great benefits (but decreasing), good teamwork, great training opportunities (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared for a poor work-life balance if working in a plant production facility (in 53 reviews)

• Slow decision making, progression in one's career can seem very slow and formulaic (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Started great, now not so great

Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Service Desk Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

I have been at General Mills in IT just over two years including time as a contractor. I came onboard as an "experienced hire" with quite a bit of experience. I felt I was hired based on experience and my salary seems to have reflected that. I work on a talented team of Service Desk Professionals that know their area of expertise well. It is a very military friendly company who takes pride in the veterans and who goes out of their way for them.

Cons

Currently the morale in my department is quite low. The low morale is not conducive to a good work environment. Adding to the low morale is a general distrust of the managers due to the lack of communication and all support calls and screens being recorded. My current manager is clueless and the manager above him is a complete type A control freak who does not appreciate anything other than what she knows or has set forth.

The current company decision making is too slow and does not give the sense of a company moving forward other than purchasing other companies.

Management at General Mills does not like to hear the word "NO" when it comes to any decision, process, idea etc. One can have supporting evidence and a valid reason why you said "NO" and it will fall on deaf ears and be ignored. The repercussion to the employee is a bad end of year review with a reputation of being "difficult to work with". This also leads into the "nice" culture at the corporate offices. They are too nice which leads to bad decisions being made because no stands up to say "no" when it should be said.

Listen to your employees we have more experience than you do at times. Allow for new ways of doing things and be receptive to the differences in how or what someone uses to do their job. In my department stop being so controlling of your employees many of whom are experienced and know their job very well.

More concerned with Profit than anything else

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

give employees a voice
    teach employees

Cons

Don't follow up on employees concerns
    Don't use employee talents unless they were taught by General Mills
    Lose talent rather than make changes

Listen to those who do the job...

Nov 5, 2014Recruiting Communication Specialist

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We hope all General Mills employees feel that they can share their concerns and we will work towards a resolution. We are sorry to hear you did not feel ... More

not good

Former Employee - Production in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Production in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the only thing good is the wages

Cons

management not following proper procedures

to treat everyone fairly

Good pay

Former Employee - Packing Machine Operator in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Packing Machine Operator in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved the pay, the job, the fast pace, and the day to day challenges. The first 11.5 years were great!

Cons

Constantly hiring kids out of college to be supervisors, who would do anything, even lie, to move up the corporate ladder. Do not get hurt here, you will be thrown under the bus. They will HIDE any record of a past work order\orders to repair the equipment that you were injured on. They make people come right back to work following an injury there, even right after surgery, to keep from ruining their "safety record" Do not expect to be thanked for a job well done. 13 years, personally thanked three times. They never addressed problems with people that continuously slacked off.

THANK YOUR EMPLOYEES when they work hard for you.

Nov 5, 2014Recruiting Communication Specialist

General Mills has always led decisions making with the employees best interest in mind, we are sorry that you do not feel that was the case in your situation. Your feedback has been heard and will be ... More

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

work/life balance and flexibility is excellent, it is not about how many hours you put in but rather how well you do your work and if you perform as expected. Gives the incentive to work smarter. Great brands and proud that more organic and sustainable products is being added. A lot of good intentions and ideas.

Cons

Typical corporate environment where the left hand doesn't know (or worse: compete with) what the right hand does. A lot of energy is used on putting out fires and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Challenging to come in as an experienced hire as most there are college hires that has been there for ages. Adds a sorority feeling to the place where it very much is about who you know.

Nov 5, 2014Recruiting Communication Specialist

The success of General Mills relies on the success of our employees; we have heard your concerns and suggestions and will share them with our leadership team as appropriate.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice pay, good environment, good coworkers

Cons

Peer pressure, deadline stress on projects

Outsource more talent

Very engaging and supporting leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Ethical. Competitve spirt with concern for employees

Cons

Salary. Beyond that, None at this point to share.

Keep the focus. You are in the right track.

Great career

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Hannibal, MO
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Hannibal, MO

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very great advancement potential. Compensation. Benefits.

Cons

Long hours. Very lean staffing.

Good Place to Work

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

great community of people to work with

Cons

No real problems working here

A great, wholesome company

Current Employee - Finance Analyst
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

You get to work with very talented people. Most managers I have worked with genuinely care about you and will do what they can to help you get to where you want to go. First in class trainings - there's literally a training for anything you want to learn more about. Great pay and benefits, especially for a company in the Midwest.

Cons

A lot of smart and ambitious people so even though you are exceeding expectations, don't expect to get promoted right away or ever because there are many others ahead of you wanting the same thing but waiting for longer than you. Consensus based culture - decisions are made very slowly as a result