General Mills Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.5

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • Modest people, job security and healthy work life balance are some of the advantages (in 104 reviews)

• General Mills offers several great benefits (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

You will never find a better place to work.

Current Employee - IS Project Manager
    Current Employee - IS Project Manager

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

General Mills culture is a progressive supportive environment. The corporate culture energizes you to deliver your best for the company and yourself. There's always opportunities to move and grow within the company. This is encouraged. The benefits are superb. This company attracts and retains very talented people who are fun to work with too.

Cons

Worklife balance can be compromised if you let it. It is easy to get caught up in the energy and over commit yourself. At times there seem to be too many 'special' inititves going on at the same time - Continuous Improvement, PMO, Fuse, HHM etc.

Keep focused on what is really good for people and the environment when going after profits. It pays off and helps everyone to sleep with a smile.

General Mills is a company that "gets it right".

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager II  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

General Mills is a company that truly "gets it right" from an employee - employer relationship. Many companies boast about how well they treat their employees and care for them as well as their families, but I'll bet that not too many can truly back that up. I have experienced it first hand. When a family crisis required a relocation, General Mills stepped up and helped me find a role that fit my experience and made it happen in an instance. This event had a lot of moving parts, but the HR Team and Senior Leaders within my division made it seamless. I have always felt at home and at ease since joining General Mills. This is why you can believe the "Greatest Places to Work" rankings and independent surveys like this one!

Cons

There are not too many, however, one is front of mind. It does not appear that it is easy to transition from one business segment to another; i.e Retail to Bakeries and Foodservice, or vice versa. I can say that I do not know too many from other business segments, and I'll bet that they do not know many of us. This seems to be a bit of a disconnect. I am very pleased with the path that I am on, however, if I were interested in a different segment of business, it seems a bit difficult to get there. I feel confident that the HR staff could help, but other segments are "well stocked" with talent, which leaves you as the underdog.

I feel very confident in our Senior Leadership, as we are poised to achieve some pretty lofty goals in F'09. I feel very fortunate in this, as other companies are just trying to hold on to their current business.

I am so proud to be working for such a great company!

Current Employee - Business Planning Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Planning Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

The people I work with are amazing & the benefits are great too.

Cons

Large companies such as this tend to be very political.

Be willing to take more risks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The PERFECT place to spend your career!

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Wonderful company to work for, wouldn't dream of working anywhere else! Excellent opportunities for advancement, emphasis on work-life balance, great compensation and benefits, very competent leadership, friendly atmosphere, and amazingly talented co-workers. Overall the company really cares about their employees and making sure that they are happy and successful. I feel valued everyday I go to work and know that I will be treated with respect and listened to. I am always amazed by the brillant people around me and love that everyone brings a different perspective to the cross-functional teams.

Cons

People do not leave, so sometimes there are backlogs to get promoted to the next level. Also, because of the importance of cross-function imput, decision speed can be slow.

Continue to focus on valuing employees feedback and decision speed.

Great place to start. Great place to stay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Challenging projects and the people.

Cons

Speed in which to resolve issues

Great leadership and direction

Landing a job with General Mills was the best thing to happen to my career.

Current Employee - Development Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

The caliber of the people as workers and as human beings.

Cons

If you aren't a fan of the cold, Minneapolis winter's can be hard to swallow.

Let's continue to be aggressive.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

The company hires great people, so I feel like I'm surrounded by talented people who motivate me to do my best.

Cons

It's a consensus driven culture, so it can take time to make decisions.

I appreciate the focus on work-life balance.

A great starter company for the experience

Current Employee - Team Leader II  in  Bensalem, PA
    Current Employee - Team Leader II in Bensalem, PA

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

In a challenged economy we have a product that people need. General Mills takes very good care of me and my family. They have a solid reputation in the areas in which they compete.

Cons

Wellston ohio is a ver boring place to live the only thing to do here is shoot the wild life

I would give general mills a solid B as a good place to work to build a stable no frills career

Current Employee - Engineer II  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Stable company. Good management. Managers that understand work/life issues well.

Cons

Conservative company not very open to risk/entrepreneural pursuits. Bereaucracy in progression processes. Marginal talent management. High level of churn at all levels. Effective managers can sometimes be hard to come by.

Try to decentralize decision making to the point of need as much as possible. Consider the unique needs of varied divisions as a talking point in setting policy. The one size fits all approach can be very frustrating when it comes to issues around progression.

Good enough for me.

Current Employee - BPA  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - BPA in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Cons

Minneapolis is a bitter cold plae to live.

New ways of thinking are talked about but not really looked on as favorable in the CFSD. Many people are rewarded for a 'nifty' idea that is not transferable to other employees and in the long run creates more work for everyone else.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!