General Mills Reviews

3.9

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • Modest people, job security and healthy work life balance are some of the advantages (in 104 reviews)

• General Mills offers several great benefits (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

An overall good time

Former Employee - Intern  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills

Pros

It is a pretty fun job, you get to work with a bunch of intelligent individuals and you rotate jobs to gain a decent knowledge of the company as a whole. Dress is business casual, and summer Fridays are shorter hours.

Cons

Somewhat political, hard to get a promotion. It is a really big company.

Offer promotions based on credibility and merit rather than personal relationships.

Great for new managers but no room for Promotion

Former Employee - Consumer Insights Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Consumer Insights Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills

Pros

General Mills has a best in class marketing program, they are great at innovation and having a consistent marketing planning, strategy and brand stewardship approach. The consumer insights uses best in class methods and approaches. This is a great place to learn marketing and research.
    They know how to simplify things and focus on what is important. Top notch executive management focusing on Holistic Margin Management, Strategy (Plan to Win), and Brand Building programs.

Cons

Once you are an experienced CI manager there isn't much room for growth. The current VP and many of the older directors aren't good at managing people and expect people to stay motivated without any control over what positions employees are moved to in the organization. Unfortunately they aren't good at setting a vision for the organization or leading. While they can execute some best in class quantitative research the Senior CI directors don't' understand how to value the softer side of research or right brain thinkers. Their career model doesn't allow for much deviations there are a couple paths and if you don't fit into one of them it's harder and takes longer to get promoted.

The CI organization made an attempt to look at 'future skills' and what it takes to be a good Consumer Insights person in todays world. Many of the future skills were more right brained and the organization is setup to reward much more left brain skills. The intent was good and the folks who put together the program did a good job. But in the end hard many of the Sr. leaders don't have strengths in that area and are not able to coach or train folks in these skills.

The worst part about the culture their is the competitiveness. They don't have a win win attitude - it's always someone has to lose for another person to win - there are only a few Champions!. All their programs emphasis this Plan to Win, Champions awards, Company of Champions, etc.. While this is great when thinking about the external competition it doesn't foster team cooperation. It's really hard when you are up for promotion to the same level as your boss who hardly wants another person in his peer group to compete for a handful of director spots. A friend who is also a former mills employee put it best. "Mills has a way of making you feel like you are the worst of the best - once you leave you realize you've gotten a great grounding in strategy and best in class work that is valued outside of the Mills"

I left after 20 years because I couldn't imagine working for the VP her potential replacements when I got promoted. Plus I found a great job at another big CPG which allowed me more room for personal growth. While I miss the great strategic frameworks and innovation mindset, I don't miss the lack of appreciation for what I brought to the organization. Now everyday at work I know someone appreciates what I do!

I think the executive wing at Mills is great but they need to take a strong look at how their CI leadership is motivating and managing the careers of their people. You've got some top notch folks in CI middle management and you need CI Sr. Leadership that knows how to manage a diverse set of skills, personality types and approaches. You need a fresh new perspective on people management that understands that not all folks are willing or going to stay at one company for a long time if they aren't able to grow and develop in directions that motivate them.

ITQ- Not for African Americans

Current Employee - R&D  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - R&D in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits
    Great communication

Cons

ITQ lacks diversity- African Americans can't be promoted unless they are there for decades. Unless you are from the true midwest, you won't be treated equally.

Work harder with diveristy in areas where there are problems. Hold Senior leadership accountable for results. Make sure that there is a representative distribution of diversity talent at the manager level in ITQ.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best nutrition science job available

Current Employee - Bell Institute  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Bell Institute in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Company is committed to health
    Company provides opportunity to make a real difference in what people eat
    High ethical standards
    Senior leaders listen to nutrition scientists
    Company has improved healthfulness of many products
    Pays more than any other job for dietitians

Cons

The Bell Institute is an "unusual" function at General Mills so many colleagues understand our role and may not appreciate the value we provide
    We work harder than people in other jobs -- longer hours, higher quality work expected
    Because there aren't many places for us to work in the company, we might not have as many promotion opportunities as product developers or marketers

Continue to value health and support initiatives to make the portfolio healthier

Great Environment, Good company provided benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Workout facilities and health coaching and other services available. Good benefits, and in many cases flexible work arrangements are available. Many opportunities both domestic and international.

Cons

It is a large company, and it is easy to get bogged down in trying to keep tabs on all divisions/operations. There can sometimes be an overemphasis on classroom training.

Be flexible and agile. Try to take on new challenges at as fast a pace as possible. Now is a time when people are looking for information about the products they use, share it and bring the transparency to as many things in the company as possible.

Not a great place for experienced hires.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills

Pros

Great people to work with, very talented people throughout the company, good training opportunities, they do care about work life balance, great facilities.

Cons

Promotion pool can get and stay full for a long time, strong performance reviews do not drive promotions, performance calibration system is demotivating.

Change the performance calibration system, reconsider how the constant push to network drives promotion decisions.

Great

Former Employee - Team Leader III  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Team Leader III in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at General Mills

Pros

The people leadership that you learn is great. I learned from a lot of great people.

Cons

They pride results more than people. Had an ops manager who cared very little for his people and were just there to get things done. Not the norm but they were not dealing with him. Kiss up and Kick down.

Good

Current Employee - Quality Associate  in  Reed City, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Associate in Reed City, MI

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Good benefits and nice people

Cons

Decent locations for plants, some plants arent as good as others

None necessarily

Difficult to make it to senior levels if you're not a traditional campus hire or a mid-westerner

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Benefits, geographic locations to work at, excellent corporate HQ facility, low turnover. Total comp and benefits package is just enough to keep you there.

Cons

Flat organization, location, complete lack of a global mindset. Culture is tolerant of style and diversity differences but far from accepting.

The HR function needs to start taking care of it's own because the cobbler's kids have no shoes. Senior management needs to spend some more time overseas and get more mid-level managers out of Minneapolis to figure out how to be global.

It was alright, but they do not analyze and utilize on the strengths of each individual.

Former Employee - Business Planning Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Planning Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at General Mills

Pros

Salary and benefits were decent. If you're willing to work 50+ hours a week then there is opportunity for growth.

Cons

They are very regimented in their ways. There was not good communication and interaction between managment and employees.

Listen to feedback from your employees. Analyze the skill sets of each individual to customize their career path.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!