General Mills Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
561 reviews filtered by

Not a great place to work

Current Employee - Mixing Technician in Lodi, CA
    Current Employee - Mixing Technician in Lodi, CA

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, employees are great and work together

Cons

Don't know if you're working that weekend until that Fri at 3pm and don't even know your next weeks schedule until then as well. Mgmnt needs to brush on peoples skills dramatically, weak bakers union, policies change on a whim to suit mgmnt needs.

Overrated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart and dynamic co-workers, beautiful site and buildings, on-site amenities such as Caribou Coffee and employee gym.

Cons

- Management at both upper and middle levels often comes across as arrogant, especially in Finance and IT.

- Employees -- especially long-term -- are treated like numbers on a spreadsheet: if they become too "expensive" they're simply replaced with shiny, new, younger and lower-paid college graduates. This seems to happen even to long-time employees who consistently get good performance reviews.

- A seemingly company-wide reluctance for people to own processes makes finding solutions to some problems very inefficient and circuitous, sometimes resulting in dead-ends.

- There's far too much rigidity and regimentation throughout, so getting things done can be painfully slow.

- "Minnesota Nice" culture gets old.

- Career advancement is difficult, overly cumbersome, and sometimes mysterious. It doesn't need to be this hard.

- Very, very political corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Your employees -- especially those who've stuck around a long time -- are valuable assets. Treat them as such. Spend time and energy developing those who demonstrate good work ethic and devotion. If you treat employees with a high degree of respect, they will reward you with great performance...maybe even cutting-edge ideas that will get the company out of the slump it currently finds itself in. Otherwise, you will likely conduct another mass layoff in a couple years -- again -- after discovering that this recent round of layoffs didn't magically make things better.

Not what it used to be

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some smart co-workers - mainly ones that have come from other companies
    Nice campus - cafeteria, Caribou, credit union

Cons

Work life balance - bad and getting worse
    Layoffs - massive layoffs every other year, seemingly no logic to who stays/goes
    Actions don't match words - talk about valuing employees, but intentionally use temp workers at plants to keep costs down/pay no benefits; talk about improving "decision speed" but spend 4 months laying people off

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that industry trends are less favorable. Stop investing so much (people, money) into dying categories like cereal. Just maintain, don't focus on these categories. Reacting to industry trends shouldn't take years (i.e. just now lowering sugar content in Yoplait and replacing aspertame - other companies did this years ago. This isn't innovation, it's catching up to the market).

Make changes to upper management. They steered the company into trouble and have no coherent plan to get it back on track. Saying that "Cereal has been around for decades" and "people predicted cereal was dying 20 years ago" doesn't make you sound smart. It makes you sound out of touch with reality.

Address work-life balance issues. Workers should not be called/emailed/texted during every vacation day. Stop with the focus on pretty Powerpoint slides and focus on ideas instead. Don't threaten employees by saying "I'll just replace you with a new college grad". Summer hours on Fridays are not always respected, so many workers just end up working from home not with the afternoon off.

Stop scheduling multiple pre-meetings with everyone to align on the same approach/message. By doing so, you will free up time for real work and might actually hear a new idea instead of 10 people saying the exact same thing.

Listen to your employees. You state that you want to hire experienced people to bring new ideas, but then refuse to listen to any of them.

Plan your layoffs. Going into layoffs stating that "we need to rewire how we work and be more efficient" isn't realistic if there are no plans to actually change how work is done. There is just the same amount of work with less people around. I.e. laying off most of the paralegals isn't the way to be more efficient. The corporate lawyers are just asking non-legal professionals (marketing, sales, sourcing) to absorb the paralegal work. This is more inefficient than keeping the paralegals on the payroll - having non-expert workers review contracts takes longer, causes more issues to be missed, and creates an even longer waits for GMI's lawyers to get work done.

Benefits are getting worse. Pay is not keeping up with the Twin Cities market. Health insurance is getting much more expensive (surcharges for partners/spouses on GMI health insurance). Bonuses aren't what they used to be. As part of "SSM program", many other perks are being taken away (i.e. tickets, employee recognition, travel perks) with more cuts to come. Don't waste millions of dollars on Accenture consultants to find savings that were either already achieved (and counted in financial statements) or have no baseline spend.

BIG Company lost in Chaos

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good learning experiences, good benefits, friendly and intelligent people, nice campus, close to downtown Minneapolis.

Cons

Highly political, many managers mentality is stuck in the "old school boys club". The push for innovation and speed to market consistently fails resulting in two restructuring efforts that eliminated 800 people both in 2012 and 2014/2015. Big company unable to understand or grasp a small business mindset they are determined to be.

Advice to Management

With overall company performance that resulted in two different restructuring efforts with in 2.5 years, one that clearly failed, the other that has yet to prove success, leadership needs to evaluate current leaders and take more opportunity in bringing in executives from outside of the organization. Employee morale and faith is beginning to bottom out.

Great Employees, Could use better upper management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allowed a lot of freedom in direction I wanted to take my work. Wonderful teams and good bottom level managers.

Cons

They lost the culture of the 80's and 90's that made it such a great place to work. Lots of perks but workloads are heavy. Used to be too many layers of management that have recently been cut so perhaps that might make things better.

Advice to Management

Cut your own salaries.

7. Had a wonderful experience working for General Mills. Keep s employees Trained & They stress safety.

Current Employee - Operator in Lodi, CA
    Current Employee - Operator in Lodi, CA

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Wage. I have learned so much working here. They allowed me to be a trainer of new employees. Encourage employee involvement..

Cons

I would say the only thing would be shift work in the production area.

Great benefits. A very driven production environment

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Overtime Overtime Overtime
    The facility runs very lean.

Cons

Overtime overtime Overtime
    The facility runs very lean

Advice to Management

Corporate management needs to get the project over engineering bureaucracy under control.

Not looking good..........

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Still some great people, very smart, overall like my coworkers. Campus is nice and compensation is ok.

Cons

No courage at the top. Slow, conservative and keep missing the ball on trends. Still market like it is 1970.

Advice to Management

BETTER "ACT BOLDLY AND MOVE QUICKLY" BEFORE 3 G COMES KNOCKING.

10. The best human resource position I had in my career.

I worked at General Mills

Pros

Excellent culture, values and pay. Strong emphasis on development.

Cons

Our plant closed and we were not in a position to relocate. Due to lack of facilities on the coast, I left the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop employees to get the best out of them.

11. Awesome Company

I worked at General Mills

Pros

Great benefits and sufficient training for the position hired. 401 k and stock options provided. One of a few companies that still offer a pension plan.

Cons

Communication between divisions is poor also limited ability to grow within the company unless you're willing to move often.