General Mills Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.7

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • Work-life balance depends on position and location and department management (in 115 reviews)

• Great benefits (but decreasing), good teamwork, great training opportunities (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared for a poor work-life balance if working in a plant production facility (in 52 reviews)

• Slow decision making, progression in one's career can seem very slow and formulaic (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great exposure, but very cookie-cutter with low salaries

Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics Planner in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of people that are great to work with and it is very exciting to work on brands that people recognize and have personal connections to. If you're looking for a company to have a set career track, then this is the right company for you. It is a very conservative, slow-to-innovation Fortune 500 company with lots of project management opportunities.

Cons

If you're looking to branch out and make your own career choices, this is not the company for you. GMI is very conservative and super risk-averse... translation: things never change (even if they say they "want" things to change). The culture is definitely home-grown Minnesotan and definitely has a functional-silo mentality. Forget all of the things they tell you about "Supply Chain Innovation", this is a pure Marketing company- plain and simple... translation: you need to market yourself. GMI is very big on promoting from within to the "favorites" despite actual deliverables. GMI is also big on meetings before meetings before meetings before meetings because the consensus process takes FOREVER.

Also, they might have had work-life balance in the past. However, I typically work 50-70+ hrs/week while making $10k less than market value with ZERO overtime and minimal internal recognition. One big issue is regarding location. If the company asks you to move and you say no for whatever reason, you are put on a "list" that potentially prohibits upward mobilty. Oh and did I mention that you're expected to move every 1-2 years? Yea... not the best situation.

Overall, GMI used to be a great company, but is definitely not up to par for young, innovative career professionals.

- increase base salaries: have a more robust compensation package for the amount of work we do (i.e. if we are going to burn out, we might as well get paid well!)

- truly execute against corporate goals to "act bold & move quickly": take greater calculated risks on projects, corporate culture and recruitment strategies (i.e. too much nepotism!)

- more " atta boys/girls": in lieu of increased compensation packages, at least reward those key players who ACTUALLY deliver at/above goal through recognition (i.e. a "good job well done" email goes a long way to improve employee morale)

- increase diversity: not just regarding ethnicity, but employees who do not have the EXACT same perspective and mentality to foster new and innovative ideas to 1) win the market QUICKLY & 2) retain young professionals since so many have left in the past 2 years (i.e. it's cheaper to retain an employee than fire & hire anew)

GMI a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, Great Brands, Large Projects & Scope of work, Dedicated Leadership, Smart & Passionate employees, We can really make a difference, Great benefits!

Cons

Duplicate work, LONG - mulitple meetings to complete a task, very conservative approach to all projects, a bit of rework and or clunky systems, we seem to always be reactive vs. proactive. We take too long to make a decision - we need to work quickly and make changes on the fly. Change could and should happen every 3-6 months - we need to keep up with the ever changing world.

Embrace moving quickly, Streamlining processes, allow your vendors to work better for and with you, try to take outside advise - vs. make our vendors and team work "our process" - we need project leads to be experts in the projects they are leading - and we need them to be nimble. We often times, start with a solid end result in mind and then muddy it up with ALL the hoops we mandate.

Great company l!!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

On the cutting edge of technology, benefits, incentives and there is always something fun fun going on!

Cons

Often difficult to move up or move around, once pegged as an "Admin" found it challenging to move into other types of jobs not categorized to be 'admin jobs".

Treat your people well and they will do well for you.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Poly Utility in Belvidere, IL
    Former Employee - Poly Utility in Belvidere, IL

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, relaxed environment, free cereal in break rooms. 2 half hour breaks per 8 hour shift.

Cons

Pay for certain positions could be better

Better pay

Great place to work!

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

Great work/life balance, development and promotion opportunities. Good values and a positive culture.

Cons

Corporate actions and expectations sometimes do not align with field abilities.

Listen to the field operations more.

Great Culture and work life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at General Mills as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very stable and management seems very approchable

Cons

Contracts jobs are for short period of time

Great company for development and opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Engineer II
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer II

I have been working at General Mills full-time

Pros

General Mills provides its employees with challenging work, lots of training and advancement opportunities. Salary is OK and benefits are competitive. It is a stable company and can provide a long term career.

Cons

In order to advance quickly, you will need to move. The company has cut back on relocation and other benefits that used to be excellent incentives.

Ensure that you are developing enough talent for future open positions internally. You will get the best cultural fits from within.

Thoroughly enjoyed my years with General Mills

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at General Mills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, benefits and investment in training. Excellent pay and bonus structure. You are encouraged to advance your career by rotating through multiple positions. Many benefits are available at the corporate campus such as daycare, outstanding cafeteria, auto care facility, company store, many services, etc.

Cons

Extreme emphasis is given to college degrees rather than experience. The climate at corporate headquarters can be overwhelming for those not used to such an atmosphere.

Worked at Yoplait/Columbo yogurt in Methuen, MA - Great company, great management.

Former Employee - Machine Operator/Production Tech in Methuen, MA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator/Production Tech in Methuen, MA

I worked at General Mills as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Organization was managed extremely well. Company was doing well when I was employed so 401K match was doubled for all. Working environment was light and pleasant, and the workforce had good morale.

Cons

Factory environment so very rigid work/break structure. Not a negative of the company as much as the career path.

I manage a team of reatil reps that call on grocery stores chains

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Mills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers alot of training and advancement opportunities. The company values diverstiy and has many programs in place for diverse employees

Cons

If you are on a particular carreer track, your roles are predefined and you are expected to move whenever the company needs you to