General Mills Reviews in West Chicago, IL

3.7

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • Modest people, job security and healthy work life balance are some of the advantages (in 104 reviews)

• General Mills offers several great benefits (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Found that there were very short breaks, sometime also a poor work-life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Career path movement in their sales organization can be difficult (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

General Mills is challenging, demanding, network based and amazing.

Current Employee - Team Leader I  in  West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Leader I in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

The caliber of people that work for General Mills is beyond comparison. The level commitment by the organizational leaders to be engaged and active in their employee’s development is amazing.

Cons

The political structure of the organization is hard to learn and requires assistance to navigate.

Continue to support and develop the junior leaders of the company and focus as much attention on the external hires as those from the companies various development programs.

Operations Management Associate

Former Employee - Operations Management Associate  in  West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Management Associate in West Chicago, IL

I worked at General Mills

Pros

Exciting, ability to lead and create change.

Cons

too many hours. stressful. unions

Focus more on your people

General Mills Team Leader II

Current Employee - Team Leader II  in  West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Leader II in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

There is a high level of competency amongst the peer group, which I believe can be attributable to the tests taken during the interview process. Management was free to give you the reigns on projects or daily tactical responses, showing a high level of trust. The company size yields greater development opportunities.

Cons

We all worked a lot of hours 50+ per week. The work day was designed at 9 hours, then you may have to work an additional 5+ to accomplish other things you are working on, or hold meetings with different shifts.

General Mills application of policy is not necessarily consistent. In addition, many individuals from the corporate office are sent to the field to "learn". I think this could be accomplished earlier in an individual's career vs. in the role of department managers.

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!