General Mills Reviews in West Chicago, IL

3.7

General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell
Ken Powell

Pros
  • Work-life balance depends on position and location and department management (in 115 reviews)

• Great benefits (but decreasing), good teamwork, great training opportunities (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared for a poor work-life balance if working in a plant production facility (in 52 reviews)

• Slow decision making, progression in one's career can seem very slow and formulaic (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

General Mills is challenging, demanding, network based and amazing.

Current Employee - Team Leader I in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Leader I in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

The caliber of people that work for General Mills is beyond comparison. The level commitment by the organizational leaders to be engaged and active in their employee’s development is amazing.

Cons

The political structure of the organization is hard to learn and requires assistance to navigate.

Continue to support and develop the junior leaders of the company and focus as much attention on the external hires as those from the companies various development programs.

Operations Management Associate

Former Employee - Operations Management Associate in West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Management Associate in West Chicago, IL

I worked at General Mills

Pros

Exciting, ability to lead and create change.

Cons

too many hours. stressful. unions

Focus more on your people

General Mills Team Leader II

Current Employee - Team Leader II in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Leader II in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at General Mills

Pros

There is a high level of competency amongst the peer group, which I believe can be attributable to the tests taken during the interview process. Management was free to give you the reigns on projects or daily tactical responses, showing a high level of trust. The company size yields greater development opportunities.

Cons

We all worked a lot of hours 50+ per week. The work day was designed at 9 hours, then you may have to work an additional 5+ to accomplish other things you are working on, or hold meetings with different shifts.

General Mills application of policy is not necessarily consistent. In addition, many individuals from the corporate office are sent to the field to "learn". I think this could be accomplished earlier in an individual's career vs. in the role of department managers.