General Motors

General Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional(in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging(in 14 reviews)

• Significance of work sometimes requires long hours(in 22 reviews)

GM Needs to change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsDecent styling on current products

ConsLack of direction from management. Required training for GM employees is negligible. It sometimes seems like there is a complete lack of interest in doing something new or different and then surprised that the results are the same as always. New technologies are ignored or mistrusted.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job with your contract employees. Remove the harsh restrictions on them if they want to move around either internally or to other OEM's. Its a disgrace how you treat them.

Great Opportunity

Software Developer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsEveryone is very friendly. You have an opportunity to be a part of a Fortune 7 company, but at the same time, you are building the IT function from the ground up with the in-sourcing plans in place. Austin is the greatest city.

ConsIt is a great city, but the traffic is terrible. Also, space is filling up fast in the building. Pretty soon it will be over-crowded. There are a lot of regulations to follow and be aware of, given the status of the company.

Great work place

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Arling, ID

ProsI had a wonderful experience working for GM. The senior staff are very helpful and they give good guuidance on what to do next. I recommend working with them.

ConsTHe reason i left them is that they don't give enough training for senior management, and the salary growth is limited

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more training for employees, and raise the salary.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company morale and lively spirit. Still suffers from corporate politics at all levels.

Information Security Analyst (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGM has decent benefits, good training, and provides more holidays off then most fortune companies. I work with a lot of great fun people. Not a stressful environment; work-life balance is good.

ConsThe compensation is average - they offer use of corporate cars as compensation/benefits.

GM is slow to get anything done. Approval after approval after approval- meetings after meetings after meetings without actually getting somewhere.

Excellent Career for Intellectually Inclined People!

Software Developer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsFlexibility, challenging work tasks, learn something new everyday, usage of the latest and greatest technology set. Ability to drive a new car four times a year. Great benefits, even better 401K plan and very competitive salary/bonus structure. All the software development training one could ever ask for along with a hefty tuition reimbursement package!

ConsConsidering the sheer size of GM causes lags in getting things approved/accomplished. Lack of career direction. Warren Tech Centers looks as though we are in 1950's.

Advice to Senior ManagementConceptualize a career planning road map for employees

Opportunity to study, design, do research and overall define the direction of the product that I work on.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

Pros8000 in tuition a year.
    My manager encourages me to study.
    Great work-life balance.
    Discount on GM vehicles.

ConsPeople get's scared easily.
    Personal agendas.
    "Java Enterprise Edition" kind of engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse better tech.
    Stop buying crap from Oracle.
    Become a software design powerhouse.

I love working here the people are very friendly!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsYou get to work with a great diverse group of people that are very down to earth.

ConsIf you are a contract worker you don't get hired and get any of the GM benefits, unless you work on the floor and make parts.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should hire contract workers as permanent GM employees no matter what they do for the plant.

Senior IT Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPositive work environment with motivated peers as well as upper management.

ConsThe training tools can be improve. Creating some of the training as virtual class rooms should improve the issue of classes getting cancel because the lack of head count.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure training is available for the employees if you want to retain your employees. Feeling that you can't do your job because the lack of training can be very frustrating.

I'm very happy at my company

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThe leadership is focuse on making quality, safe and best vehicles in the market, by setting clear vision and value. I'm very convinced our cars and trucks are the best because everyone tries to do their best.

ConsThere really aren't anything I can point out that are negative about the company. Every company has a room for improvement, but we are all working to identify and make those improvements as we go.

A big company that's actually alright.

Hybrid Controls Engineer (Current Employee) Milford, MI

ProsThere are definitely some benefits to woking at GM, 4 weeks of vacation, a big company with big resources when they want to use them, good salaries, good bonuses. I worked in the hybrid division and it was a fast paced area that was full of innovation.

ConsIts a really big company so change is slow. Also, you can feel disconnected from upper management cause there are so many levels. Since there are so many levels it seems sometimes upper management doesn't make the best decisions, compared to if they were an engineer working on the actually program. Also hybrids was moving towards being process driven, which is good because it makes sure people think about that they do, but really can slow down work an innovation as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy personal manager was excellent! Helped my career, gave me advice, and I could be open and honest with him. If every manager was like him, GM would be the best place to work at I could think of.

To upper management, make sure to stay connected to lower level engineers (7 and below) because sometimes your decisions really don't make sense to us, and I feel if you listened to the reasons why, you might agree and not make the bad decisions that later have to be reversed or fixed.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!