General Motors

General Motors Reviews in Detroit, MI

Updated Jul 22, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional(in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging(in 14 reviews)

• Significance of work sometimes requires long hours(in 22 reviews)

346 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not the right "time" to be at GM R&D

Researcher (Former Employee) Warren, MI

ProsGM R&D has a good reputation extending from the past, so when you work there you enjoy outsiders appreciating where you work, even though this only comes from the past. with no real present impact.

ConsAbsolutely no vision for the development of new hires. You're basically on your own. If you are lucky enough to have a manager who is a good person and believes it is his/her job to help you develop, you can stay where you are for years.

R&D in the recent decade has always been struggling with constantly (justifying our existence).

Full lack of transparency in promotions and bonuses.

Leadership in the last 4 years has been more concerned with inter-company politics than with actually achieving prosperity for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your young caliber who are ambitious and hungry for achievements, but just are not receiving proper coaching. I have seen many smart people while working there who have been there for around 10 years and still waiting for a chance because they are not aggressive enough.

Get your foot in the door, Good company and Great Opportunities!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsOffers many opportunities for change, good pay, and many benefits. Management is very helpful, and there are many great resources.

ConsMore opportunities for contract employees would be nice, other than that I am pleased.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore resources to assist contract employees wanting to make a move to "full" GM status.

Intern Research

Research Intern (Former Employee) Warren, MI

ProsExcellent work environment, Good set of problems to work on.

ConsIn Detroit! Research is not very well tied to academia.

Advice to Senior ManagementHear to your researchers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced.Can be too fast. There is a precarious balance between a mature product and a fast to market one.

Design Sculptor (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsCreativity, great people, and challenging work. Good benefits, compensation, and it can be fun at times.

ConsBehind the times technologically, and a dismal work environment. Old facility, barren grounds, can make it feel like an abandoned campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementCertain environments stifle creativity, others promote it...its nothing new, hire a consultant.

Working at GM is not for everybody, but it has its charm and many spend their entire career there for a reason.

Business Architect (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

Pros- Flexible
    - Good benefits
    - Extremely large pool of opportunities
    - Room for entrepreneurial spirit

Cons- Highly political
    - Needs a cultural makeover
    - It matters who you know, not what you know.
    - Your contribution to what is made is only a tiny fraction of the whole thing
    - Knowledge has converged into common opinion. It's difficult to be successful with alternatives

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage forward thinking attitudes and initiatives.

I don't know how they stay in business. They are like the banks, too big to fail.

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsMake some adequate products, sometimes get it right. Some good job and advancement opportunities. Lots of different areas and people to get involved with. Good paycheck.

ConsEngineering, accounting, manufacturing, testing, development, validation, etc., processes and procedures are inadequate, incomplete, disjointed, ignored, non-existent, out-dated, not communicated adequately,...
    Poor sense of community, comraderie, commitment to company and co-workers, indifference from management, lack of trust and confidence going both ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of this matrix management style that it took 14 years to stumble into, nobody knows who owes what assignment, hand-offs are dropped, much shuffling, much information and time is lost, many errors are made on changing assumptions and talent.

I love the General Motors

Materials Supervisor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsExcellent pay and hours are realistic

ConsIt's an early start job so you have to be able to wake up around 4:00- 5:00am

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, you're doing a fine job!

BEWARE! Misrepresentation of Employment!

Software Developer (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsCafeterias are great. Co-workers friendly and helpful. Bathrooms clean.

ConsGM is desperate to hire a LOT of IT resources: developers, network engineers, project managers, and so on. The desperation to hire thousands of technical workers drives questionable things to happen, as its so hard to hire technical talent in the first place.

GM cold called me to apply at GM. So I listened to the recruiter, applied, got job, loved the hiring manager, and what I was doing...for one week.

After ONLY ONE WEEK, some other project wasn't going well. Management rotated 1 worker off the project, and told me I'd be reporting to a different manager, and doing something unrelated to my job title and what I was told I would be doing. My offer letter with who I reported to and my job title meant nothing.

I complained to HR, to management, and to the recruiters...nobody cared to make things right, only to force me to report to someone other than my hiring manager, and do a job far less technical than I was hired for, making several technical certifications and my past technical experience irrelevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you give a candidate a job offer in writing of who they report to and what they do, don't change that one week later. That's misrepresentation of employment.

if you can't figure out / project what resources should be on what projects, you have some serious project management problems.

Keep burning new hires, and you'll get a reputation in the technical community...or perhaps you already have a poor reputation, and that's why I got the cold call because you're having problems hiring technical talent.

Good Benefits

Integration Engineer (Former Employee) Warren, MI

ProsSteady work, busy days, Great product programs, Easy to follow process and great co-workers. Clean office environment with up-to-date computer software. Paid holidays and vacations!

ConsLeadership is too top heavy, Company vision and goals are unrealistic to market demand. No over-time pay. Flex-time is a joke if your not in the "In crowd". Seniority also a joke. Basically if you have no one really looking out for you, your left out. Same Good ol' boys tactics from the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, Be more open to change

Some plants are better than others

Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsVacation, benefits, hours, if your skilled trade or have some type of skilled job the pay is great

ConsStarting off the pay is very bad for production workers not what you would expect from such a large company. My plant is very old and dirty I fear for my health every day I walk into the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to communicate with your employees, most people in supervisor positions at my plant are not smart and don't use common sense.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!