General Motors

343 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not the right "time" to be at GM R&D

Researcher (Former Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsGM R&D has a good reputation extending from the past, so when you work there you enjoy outsiders appreciating where you work, even though this only comes from the past. with no real present impact.

ConsAbsolutely no vision for the development of new hires. You're basically on your own. If you are lucky enough to have a manager who is a good person and believes it is his/her job to help you develop, you can stay where you are for years.

R&D in the recent decade has always been struggling with constantly (justifying our existence).

Full lack of transparency in promotions and bonuses.

Leadership in the last 4 years has been more concerned with inter-company politics than with actually achieving prosperity for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your young caliber who are ambitious and hungry for achievements, but just are not receiving proper coaching. I have seen many smart people while working there who have been there for around 10 years and still waiting for a chance because they are not aggressive enough.

I don't know how they stay in business. They are like the banks, too big to fail.

Product Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

ProsMake some adequate products, sometimes get it right. Some good job and advancement opportunities. Lots of different areas and people to get involved with. Good paycheck.

ConsEngineering, accounting, manufacturing, testing, development, validation, etc., processes and procedures are inadequate, incomplete, disjointed, ignored, non-existent, out-dated, not communicated adequately,...
    Poor sense of community, comraderie, commitment to company and co-workers, indifference from management, lack of trust and confidence going both ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of this matrix management style that it took 14 years to stumble into, nobody knows who owes what assignment, hand-offs are dropped, much shuffling, much information and time is lost, many errors are made on changing assumptions and talent.

Good Benefits

Integration Engineer (Former Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsSteady work, busy days, Great product programs, Easy to follow process and great co-workers. Clean office environment with up-to-date computer software. Paid holidays and vacations!

ConsLeadership is too top heavy, Company vision and goals are unrealistic to market demand. No over-time pay. Flex-time is a joke if your not in the "In crowd". Seniority also a joke. Basically if you have no one really looking out for you, your left out. Same Good ol' boys tactics from the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, Be more open to change

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get your foot in the door, Good company and Great Opportunities!

Warren, MI

ProsOffers many opportunities for change, good pay, and many benefits. Management is very helpful, and there are many great resources.

ConsMore opportunities for contract employees would be nice, other than that I am pleased.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore resources to assist contract employees wanting to make a move to "full" GM status.

Good company with lots of opportunities

Human Resources Representative (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsWide variety of career possibilities, excellent pay and benefits, fun products

ConsThe corporate culture can be a bit old-school

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on defining who we are, what we build and how we work.

I love the General Motors

Materials Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsExcellent pay and hours are realistic

ConsIt's an early start job so you have to be able to wake up around 4:00- 5:00am

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, you're doing a fine job!

Blessed to be working for GM

Lab Technician (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsIf you work hard, you add to your value.

ConsI can't think of any.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour veteran employees are worth their high salaries.

Amazing opportunity

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsMany open doors for advancement and constant learning opporutinties.

ConsA bit unorganized at times with poor load to resource balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefrain from increasing workload before ample resources are in place. Allow more time for training/certification.

BEWARE! Misrepresentation of Employment!

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsCafeterias are great. Co-workers friendly and helpful. Bathrooms clean.

ConsGM is desperate to hire a LOT of IT resources: developers, network engineers, project managers, and so on. The desperation to hire thousands of technical workers drives questionable things to happen, as its so hard to hire technical talent in the first place.

GM cold called me to apply at GM. So I listened to the recruiter, applied, got job, loved the hiring manager, and what I was doing...for one week.

After ONLY ONE WEEK, some other project wasn't going well. Management rotated 1 worker off the project, and told me I'd be reporting to a different manager, and doing something unrelated to my job title and what I was told I would be doing. My offer letter with who I reported to and my job title meant nothing.

I complained to HR, to management, and to the recruiters...nobody cared to make things right, only to force me to report to someone other than my hiring manager, and do a job far less technical than I was hired for, making several technical certifications and my past technical experience irrelevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you give a candidate a job offer in writing of who they report to and what they do, don't change that one week later. That's misrepresentation of employment.

if you can't figure out / project what resources should be on what projects, you have some serious project management problems.

Keep burning new hires, and you'll get a reputation in the technical community...or perhaps you already have a poor reputation, and that's why I got the cold call because you're having problems hiring technical talent.

Overall, a great place to work.

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsAs an engineer, you have many opportunities to work on numerous types of projects - a huge plus! I have worked for the company for over 10 years and never got bored. Have worked on projects that have lasted for over 1 year, and one that lasted only 4 months.

ConsPart of my time was spent at an assembly plant. Much more intense and stressful (but also a little more satisfying to see your projects in action).

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

General Motors Videos

General Motors – Why Work for Us?

At GM, we believe that striking a positive work-life balance leads to an engaged, productive work force. In fact, we believe that by empowering our employees to explore flextime and telecommuting options, not only can… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings in Detroit, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All 343 reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.