General Motors

General Motors Reviews in Milford, MI

Updated Jun 1, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional(in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging(in 14 reviews)

• Significance of work sometimes requires long hours(in 22 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A big company that's actually alright.

Hybrid Controls Engineer (Current Employee) Milford, MI

ProsThere are definitely some benefits to woking at GM, 4 weeks of vacation, a big company with big resources when they want to use them, good salaries, good bonuses. I worked in the hybrid division and it was a fast paced area that was full of innovation.

ConsIts a really big company so change is slow. Also, you can feel disconnected from upper management cause there are so many levels. Since there are so many levels it seems sometimes upper management doesn't make the best decisions, compared to if they were an engineer working on the actually program. Also hybrids was moving towards being process driven, which is good because it makes sure people think about that they do, but really can slow down work an innovation as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy personal manager was excellent! Helped my career, gave me advice, and I could be open and honest with him. If every manager was like him, GM would be the best place to work at I could think of.

To upper management, make sure to stay connected to lower level engineers (7 and below) because sometimes your decisions really don't make sense to us, and I feel if you listened to the reasons why, you might agree and not make the bad decisions that later have to be reversed or fixed.

Freedom to do your job, can be difficult to get promoted

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) Milford, MI

ProsFlexible hours, come and go as you need. Large company with many areas to work in.

ConsCan be difficult to get promoted. No clear reasons why some people get promoted and others don't. Seems to be more political than anything. Good performance doesn't get rewarded with promotions, just additional work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent how you promote people. Provide clear direction to employees and honor your word. Employees often go around to check the boxes to get promoted and others get promoted without accomplishing anything. Very frustrating.

Great company to work and grow

Engineer (Former Employee) Milford, MI

ProsResources, money almost always there for development projects and studyies. Cutting edge CAD systems and great work areas. Your allowed to learn and grow in many areas.

ConsMichigan, the roads, the wearther, the getto. Cost of living is some what high.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people with good technical capabilities! Workload way too high!

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Milford, MI

ProsExcellent technical opportunities. Decent pay.

ConsFilthy office area. Huge workloads.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle executive management is old school, good ol' boy club.

I enjoyed my experience at General Motors

Brake Development Engineer (Former Employee) Milford, MI

ProsThe experience, of meeting the NASCAR teams? You do actually become part, of the NASCAR family. The friendships I have made will last a lifetime.

ConsThe travel and family life was hard, on my young daughters.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the engineers that are actually involved in the project, opinion. Don't micro manage from afar.

Good but can be better

Engineer (Current Employee) Milford, MI

ProsFair Salary.
    Understanding and accommodating for personal life - Flexible hours
    Opportunities to try different engineering area

ConsRed tape - Since its too big there can be redundant red tape issues
    In many areas, even though you may be an engineer you may not do core technical work.

GM Processes

Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) Milford, MI

ProsCompany has strong commitment to developing new technologies, in house and to be the best

ConsAs the company is such a large organization, project planning and coordination is not as effective as it could be. Paperwork and 'IT systems' are used as a substitute to proper planning. This prevents the engineers from spending their time on real engineering, instead huge amounts of repetitive unnecessary paperwork is created.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor vehicle software development cycles, lengthen the development period. This will give the development community time to get things right the first time, and overall in a shorter time.

Remove the 'not invented here' mentality form all the back office organizations for engineering tools and processes. Too much of the tools GM use for day to day work are customized "GM made" tools that have cheaper better alternatives in the marketplace. This allows better cooperation with suppliers and less ramp up time for new engineers to the "GM way".

GM was a great place to work with endless oppurtunities, but the era has come to an end

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Milford, MI

ProsThere is a vast area of groups to work in at GM, from purchasing to engineering to R&D. It can be difficult switch from one department to another, but with persistence the change can be made. I currently work in the hybrid group and the work is very challenging and intriguing, it is definitely a good area to be in at GM (or any auto company).

ConsNo raises, increasing costs of healthcare, no bonuses, ingrained management behavior, global engineering is shifting work overseas.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the focus on fuel-saving technologies

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!