General Motors Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.5

General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 59 reviews)

• Wide variety of career possibilities, excellent pay and benefits, fun products (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge working in a global company (in 24 reviews)

• Significance of work sometimes requires long hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience, doean't care about employees livea

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at General Motors

Pros

Good communication experience and technical knowledge

Cons

Bad work/life balance and poor selection for management

A Shocking Dissapointment

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at General Motors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1.) Good benefits
    2.) Large relocation bonus
    3.) Good pay for Austin, TX.

Cons

1.) Outsourced training, which was effectively worthless for my job.
    2.) Minor enhancements team was in disarray, took several months to get a website csv parser to production.
    3.) Many hires, new and old alike did not know what they were doing.
    4.) Higher management may be overly ambitious with their overhaul.

The office culture was fine, people had a very laid back attitude, and were fairly social for each other. But, I feel that they were more interested in talking than doing. Training program should be reconsidered, it is a time consuming waste for anyone that has a slight clue of what they are doing. My case may have been atypical.

Hiring and firing culture! Grad students are being shaped to be monsters!

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing! Great salaries and opportunities to own a GM vehicle (which I would never replace for my Mazda) but the perk is there if you want it. Profit sharing benefits are also great but good luck with these recalls. Good working hours.

Cons

Hiring lots of new kids and firing those who are a threat to lead, supervisors, and management. There is a culture of envy and those who came from Dell are ruining the Innovation Center. Too many meetings and people looking busy. Too many 'gatherings' after work and heaven forbid if you do not assist, they want to know why but I never told them. I take care of my disabled father and can't be socializing, drinking, and spending money after work hours. If you do not give them your personal life, there is a problem. If you go to Human Resources, they will not help you, they will either make you feel incompetent or worse off, they will fire you. As soon as I did not owe them my moving expenses, I ran from the company where I though I was going to grow and be proud of.

Supervise Austin. My other colleagues in Arizona and Georgia are happy. You will not make it with the hiring and firing all the time. Check your management credentials.

Morale issues

Former Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great perks, driving nice cars, work life balance is great

Cons

Everyone works <= 8 hrs, leadership isn't there, and the biggest issue is that morale is completely out the door. GM Recalls happened for a reason.

Focus on the client more than your future promotion or monetary gain.

Big stupid poopy heads

I worked at General Motors

Pros

There's no place here for geniuses. Problem solvers are dreaded because their superiors feel inferior. There is a total lack of integrity and a severe shortage of intelligence.

Cons

There's plenty of opportunity for big stupid poopy heads. If you have a degree AND are a complete moron, you're set for life. When you screw up the taxpayer bails you out.

Keep rewarding incompetence: you'll run yourself into the ground soon.

Too Many Old Timers still ruling the roost

Former Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Senior Management trying to move forward

Cons

Many Middle and low level management people have a very warped sense of reality and refuse to do what's good for the company, they are only focused on them selves and the "good old boys" around them.

Bring in More outsiders and ween the company of complacent mangers who offer nothing but road blocks

GM IT Austin innovation; a Great Mistake.

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits like any other big corporations, 2 weeks holiday in december, and hours of no work and getting paid. Way to go GM!!

Cons

Unethical management from the bosses to HR except if you are an ex Dell employee. Would not recommend a young professional to start his/her career here as it lacks direction in every thing including the traning, no room for growth especially if u have a masters degree, bad management in everything including IT projects undertaking. Choose wisely, do not be swaed with the 6 months salary review, is a lie and promised training is a joke especially if management does not want you to follow standards

Please pay close attention to the innovation center in Austin it is a place that has a lot of politics and unethical behavior openly displayed which will inhibit talent growth among young professionals

How is GM

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is company where exposure is good. SInce I am working in India, and Indian car company are way behind than North American cos, thats why I am saying this. It may not be true for Europe and NA.

Cons

Progress is very slow. No carrier path for engineers.

Introduce carrier path for engineers.

Sr. Project Enfineer

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people (excluding management)
    Lots of GM holidays near Christmas time.
    Reasonable salary

Cons

Career growth is not based on merit but rather on who you know. GM Candidates who meet requirements for job postings are not given opportunity to interview for Global Connected Customer jobs (only non GM are interviewed)
    GM is redesigning cube office space to provide less than half what you receive today.
    Recent employee survey results show employees satisfaction deteriorating
    Leadership is paralyzed, slow to move, and afraid of taking risks after CEO fired many for ignition recall fiasco.

Get employees a career path or GM will not succeed in long term
    Create a fair process for promotions based on merit
    Ask employees how they will feel when you cut their office space in half

I don't know how they stay in business. They are like the banks, too big to fail.

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Make some adequate products, sometimes get it right. Some good job and advancement opportunities. Lots of different areas and people to get involved with. Good paycheck.

Cons

Engineering, accounting, manufacturing, testing, development, validation, etc., processes and procedures are inadequate, incomplete, disjointed, ignored, non-existent, out-dated, not communicated adequately,...
    Poor sense of community, comraderie, commitment to company and co-workers, indifference from management, lack of trust and confidence going both ways.

Get rid of this matrix management style that it took 14 years to stumble into, nobody knows who owes what assignment, hand-offs are dropped, much shuffling, much information and time is lost, many errors are made on changing assumptions and talent.