General Motors Reviews

Reset
3.5
General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

Pros
  • Great place for good work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Large Organization with chances to grow, Excellent Pay and Benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is pretty bad (in 25 reviews)

• Long hours can sometimes make optimal work/life balance difficult (in 26 reviews)

1,135 Employee Reviews

1. Terrible Management IT Innovation center

Former Employee - GM IT Innovation Center in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - GM IT Innovation Center in Atlanta, GA

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None...many companies offer same or better benefits. Medical covers nothing until deductible is paid.

Cons

Horrible inexperienced management, including upper management. Employees and management are allowed to disrespect and retaliate against employees if a complaint is geared towards management. HR is a absolute Joke!! VERY high turnover. Folks are known to leave GM IT innovation after working there 4 months or less...in lew of so called "good pay and benefits". Horrible culture. Technology is sub-par. Stressful environment. Stay clear. Much better opportunities out there.

Advice to Management

GM I T Innovation Centers....Start over or get your attorneys ready.

2. OnStar Commerce Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here was the most upsetting experience. I can not think of one thing that is a pro to advise to other job seekers.

Cons

The working environment is poor and filled with dysfunction at every turn. There has been a long history of launch failures and this continues. GM does not want to change and the culture is really bad. I would think long and hard about working at GM as they are stuck in the past and like it there..

Advice to Management

Management knows of issues but does not want to fix them. They are more concerned with launching versus launching a successful product.

Avoid if you're young

Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and good benefits.

Cons

Summary:
    If you're young as I am and don't have to worry about your kids college, mortgage, medical bills, or debt then please find a job that is meaningful to you. Perhaps there is a place at GM you would like but I caution you my experience wasn't an outlier.

-Lock-in policies. When I decided to quit I found that GM has agreements with most of their suppliers and all of the contracting companies they work with to not hire GM employees. When I asked my supervisor if he could be my reference for an apartment I was told that GM has a strict no reference policy. That's right as far as auto industry was concerned I was stuck as a GM employee and even if I did get out professionally I'd have nothing to show for it.. For this reason alone, I would highly recommend never joining this company for any amount of time.

-Motivation Draining. The time I work at GM was some of the worst time of my life. I had money but that didn't matter. I spent it on anything that would make me forget about the work day. My work time was spent on facebook, listening to music, reading comics, and basically anything that I could do to waste time. I was told to write a spec but not told what it was about, what to put in it, or even who to contact to find out. When I'd ask my supervisor he'd give me some pointless task for me to spin my wheels on for a few days. When I did get "real work" it would be ridiculous stuff like reading a 1000+ page book, converting 10000+ line excel documents into XML, or the details on a spec I had to write in 2 days.. Learn from my experience. Do not waste your time here.

-Unfriendly Corporate Culture. Upon entering the building there were hundreds of nameless faces that would pass by without a glance in my direction. After awhile, I thought this was normal. This alone has scarred my social interaction. I'm still trying to be comfortable with giving people a polite hello while walking past them.

-Absurd Limitations. During my time at GM, I found it difficult to even get the basic resources I needed to do my job. I requested a network drive of 250MB in size so that a coworker and I could share code. To GM's credit, I received a approval email but that email came with no instructions on how to access the drive. Of course, what we needed was a Git, SVN, or CVS server but I was told that it would take at least 2 years to get permission for such a luxury.

-No Aesthetic Values. If you enjoy working in a grey cubical at the end of a grey hall with sparse pictures of GM brand cars on the walls day in and day out. This is the place for you! If you enjoy looking at grass, gravel, and parking lots while taking a walk at lunch. This is the place for you! If you enjoy easy excess to lovely restaurants like "Red Cactus Grill", "SoupZone", and "Home Zone" then please read no more and sign yourself up for a low stress and unmeaningful career.

-Poorly Located. Warren Michigan. Enough Said.

Advice to Management

Destroy your culture! Anything is better than what you have. You need to make a radical change in how your company is structured to survive. I know this change can only happen from the top and the top won't take any risks, but I have to say it.

Pick The Zoo

Former Employee - IT Level I GSD in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Level I GSD in Austin, TX

I worked at General Motors

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working in this place. They hold out the potential onboarding with the company as bait to keep people there longer, but in the end, they just fire the temp workers and bring in a new training class each time.

Cons

My advice to anyone considering working at the Global Service Desk at General Motors in Austin, Texas is to apply for the position of manure cleaner at the zoo. You'll be better treated there and more respected as a human than at the GM GSD-Austin Sweatshop.

Advice to Management

All of the local management needs to be fired and reprimanded for inhumane treatment.

Horrible experience at Lordstown

Former Employee - General Assembly in Lordstown, OH
    Former Employee - General Assembly in Lordstown, OH

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. I can't think of any pros pertaining to Lordstown. I have worked at other plants and had a very positive experiences.

Cons

They tell you to make decisions on your own but when you do, they discipline you. i witnessed many unhappy employees. Lordstown could be a great place to work but management prevents that possibility.

Advice to Management

GM corporate needs to evaluate Lordstown to see why everyone hates working there. Unable to retain good talent. GM Corporate needs to overhaul personnel dept.

Worst Place to work for

Former Employee - Software Developer in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Roswell, GA

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing other than recruiter promising the IT being like Start up & a tons of growth, but that's not the reality once you join.

Cons

Never seen corrupt place like this - no wonder why the ignition issue came up. The IT is mainly controlled by contractors turned GM employees mostly Indians and they don't have any clue at all other than taking a small thing and blow it up. GPSC is so corrupted that Indian Managers are even taking a bribe in India so that they can bring 10s of worthless contractors for nothing, The contractors don't have anything to do but GPSC managers have been taking money under the table so they have to protect or defend their wrongdoing. If someone complains then that person will be retaliated right away. HR is just a joke and they are aligned with the managers, or they don't have any clue. If you have Indian then you have chance to survive but other races are discriminated, retaliated and intimidated - and it's happening in US soil - hard to believe.

Advice to Management

Get the GPSC management who are involved in brining in offshore contractors investigated and fired right way because they have been taking bribes in India. Just start with the ICVM first to see how bad the resources are managed - talk to the developers during the investigation not the managers because they are the ones who are corrupt.

Quality supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterford, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterford, MI

I worked at General Motors (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary is probably all that I can say about this company. If you want to make good money and not be promoted then this is the place for you.

Cons

Too much favoritism. Upper management does not want to know the truth about anything. If you are a yes man you won't cut it. Company will file bankruptcy again soon because incompetent people are being employed. Friends, drinking buddies.

9. Technician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I worked at General Motors

Pros

Awesome facility and equipment. Its paid training for a new company.... a new & better life.

Cons

Good luck trying to get direct employment with this company. So many people have quit and went off to better paying jobs. Getting direct is so rare in that facility. I have a 4 year degree and was a team leader who did perfection work.. but still had to leave due to no long term employment.Management is so incompetent and blind on what really goes on there. Good luck to you. Everyone leaves this place after time.

Advice to Management

Direct employment is so far and few. Management is incompetent and sloppy. You really need to open your eyes up and see whats really going on and how quality is just suffering.

10. Customer service representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors

Pros

Coworkers were nice and pleasant.

Cons

Horrible management and hours to say the least.

Advice to Management

Hire the representatives through General Motors not a temp agency.

Worst experience of my career

Former Employee - General Supervisor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - General Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It use to be a place where your co workers we're like family but since bankruptcy it is s toxic place.

Cons

Too much change in management team, no consistency or direction.

Advice to Management

Be open minded to change. Get rid of the "old GM" managers,

Showing 1,135 of 1,239 reviews