General Motors

General Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours can sometimes make optimal work/life balance difficult (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

like working for the GM in general

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Pontiac, MI

Pros*Great* people to work with, as an engineer,
    Good work/life balance,
    Compensation/Job security in general is better than competitors

ConsPromotion opportunity is limited and does not go to the right person necessarily
    "Diversity" simply does not apply when it comes to promotion to executives

General Motors Intern

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsThe people that work here are awesome. As an intern, I never had the feeling of being unable to ask someone for help. People are busy but they are more than welcome to take some time to explain things. They will also take time out of their day to explain what their job is or what their function does. Depending on who you get for a supervisor/manager has a big impact on how your experience is.

ConsGeneral Motors is a slower moving company but that comes with size.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse some of your influence to implement what your employees are suggesting. Also, do not put all your effort to reaching the short goals. Try to focus on implementing some of the suggestions from employees and meeting your goals will follow.

Lost Focus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal Market - German Engineering is carrying the Company

ConsLack of Experience -- Work every day -- 11 hours / Day (7 days a Week) - Lost focus on Manufacturing of the Product - to much Peter Principle. Young Management out of control. To much propaganda -- out of control.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Design & Release

Design Release Engineer (Former Employee) Torino (Italy)

ProsGood technical growth possibility, especially from the development process standpoint, with good recognition from outer companies. Possible to 'touch' the whole passenger car powertrain development roll out. Good working environment (even with high workload) and fear employer (typical US large company compliance).

ConsHigh working pressure, personal growth limited (but better than Italian average), suffering from automotive and Italian nation crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore care about real HR management and development.

Many opportunities, great people, and interesting, challenging work

Director (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsOpportunity to develop great products with top notch resources available and opportunities for continued growth and learning.

ConsWork/life balance can be a challenge working in a global company

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a strong customer focus. Keep the product portfolio the right size to compete efficiently with other OEMs.

Production assembly

ProsGood team atmosphere, typically the supervisors work well with the employees. reasonably good benefits. Tuition assistance benefits. Reasonably secure paycheck. Small clothing allowance.

ConsAt times dangerous, exposure to chemical fumes from machining operations, can be noisy depending on where you are assigned. Lunch periods are short so you do not have time to go out for lunch and the cafeteria services are not very good.

Excellent place to work, Excellent oportunity to start a Carrer, The Best Company I have worked for.

Design Release Engineer (Former Employee) Toluca, México (Mexico)

ProsGood Work enviroment, Continuous Salary Promotions, Employee Benefits. Great Working Hours, A lot of participation and Decision making, Management support,The company allows you to grow professionally.

ConsDepends on each person, If you can work under pressure, that happens all the time, or you work under goals and you have your own pressure and work at your own pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot advice but a comment. Great Management support for the teams with their task and issues.

50/50

Software Developer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat pay, work hours seem to be flexible. Okay benefits, everyone has access to company cars. Reallocation package is nice.

ConsVery unstructured, everyone here is new so there really aren't many people to go to for help with BASIC things. I'm fresh out of college I want to be surrounded by people that can help me grown not a ton of other college hires. Too many people here lost and confused. If they offer you a job after one interview be cautious.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down. The waves of people being hired are too large, and the increments are too close together. This results in a ton of lost and confused people.

A satisfying career with many opportunities.

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe best reasons for working at General Motors was the pay level. The pay was good although I worked many long hours. I was, however, compensated for overtime hours.

ConsThe culture at General Motors was large and slow moving. It was a challenge , at times, to try to accomplish ideas and projects. It would take time to move through channels to accomplish your goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive talented people the leeway to run with ideas to help the company.

Too many silos, but is improving

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsExciting, get to make decisions that look way into the future

ConsWay to short term focused

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is too flat. People need a rung to reach for

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!