General Motors Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.5

General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours can sometimes make optimal work/life balance difficult (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Hiring and firing culture! Grad students are being shaped to be monsters!

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at General Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are amazing! Great salaries and opportunities to own a GM vehicle (which I would never replace for my Mazda) but the perk is there if you want it. Profit sharing benefits are also great but good luck with these recalls. Good working hours.

Cons

Hiring lots of new kids and firing those who are a threat to lead, supervisors, and management. There is a culture of envy and those who came from Dell are ruining the Innovation Center. Too many meetings and people looking busy. Too many 'gatherings' after work and heaven forbid if you do not assist, they want to know why but I never told them. I take care of my disabled father and can't be socializing, drinking, and spending money after work hours. If you do not give them your personal life, there is a problem. If you go to Human Resources, they will not help you, they will either make you feel incompetent or worse off, they will fire you. As soon as I did not owe them my moving expenses, I ran from the company where I though I was going to grow and be proud of.

Supervise Austin. My other colleagues in Arizona and Georgia are happy. You will not make it with the hiring and firing all the time. Check your management credentials.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Wentzville, MO
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Wentzville, MO

I worked at General Motors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved working in a manufacturing environment. The people work as team and there are consistent goals that are met. The salary and benefits are good.

Cons

We had to work a lot of overtime, but were compensated well for the extra effort. The plant is very noisy.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exciting work with an emphasis on improving the customer experience.
    Great benefits (vacation, health care, holidays, etc...)
    Great people that care about you
    Lots of flexibility around working from home

Cons

At times the work load can be extremely heavy, but this is due to all the great things we having going on right now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technician

Former Employee - Wind Tunnel Technician  in  Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Wind Tunnel Technician in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

fun job for the first 8 years

Cons

hard to advance in job

if someone wants to transfer do not stop them

Just OK

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been with the corporation for a few years now. Not a bad place to work if you want to keep your head low and earn a decent salary. Some rewards and career fulfillment can be gained. Overall I think the corporation mind set is starting to wake up, just slowly. I'm hopeful the new CEO can turn things around.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are there but as with most major employers there are limitations to overcome. Those of us that are not on the short list must over achieve and excel daily. Making sure to go well beyond the boundaries or classification of level before ever being considered for advancement. Some Leaders are and forever will be clueless. How these leaders continue to stay employed certainly makes one scratch their head.

Open your eyes, knock off the nebulous direction that wastes time. You need to consider your workforce and the churn you cause when you drive "Gotta Have" products then don't bother to market the product so NO ONE but your employees know they exist.

Morale issues

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great perks, driving nice cars, work life balance is great

Cons

Everyone works <= 8 hrs, leadership isn't there, and the biggest issue is that morale is completely out the door. GM Recalls happened for a reason.

Focus on the client more than your future promotion or monetary gain.

Big stupid poopy heads

I worked at General Motors

Pros

There's no place here for geniuses. Problem solvers are dreaded because their superiors feel inferior. There is a total lack of integrity and a severe shortage of intelligence.

Cons

There's plenty of opportunity for big stupid poopy heads. If you have a degree AND are a complete moron, you're set for life. When you screw up the taxpayer bails you out.

Keep rewarding incompetence: you'll run yourself into the ground soon.

Good Benefits, positive environment

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of travel opportunities if you are a manager; they fly around between offices constantly. Office environment is relaxed, casual and relatively low stress. Work-life balance is good. Benefits are good (except for vesting schedule in 401k).

Cons

Horrible 401k vesting; it shouldn't take 2 years just to get to keep 20% of the company match (which isn't exactly off the charts at 4%). Poor communication within and between teams. Some I.T. Managers who were hired as part of the insourcing initiative only care about hiring their friends, whether they are intelligent or not.

Improve the vesting schedule for 401k so we don't feel like prisoners. Question decisions more so that bad senior managers can't waste hundreds of thousands of dollars paying java developers to develop applications with the same (or less) functionality as applications the company already licensed from HP and will not be portable if the company changes preferred vendors.

It wasn't all that great but pay was good

Former Employee - Material Supervisor  in  Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Material Supervisor in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at General Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was good, plus overtime

Cons

Work life balance, none really

GM Giant

I have been working at General Motors

Pros

Top technology, benefits, skill development

Cons

old school, lots of politics

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!