General Motors

General Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours can sometimes make optimal work/life balance difficult (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Pay but too mediocre

Overpack Picker/Bulk Driver (Former Employee) Bolingbrook, IL

ProsEasy work load, unionized, and great pay.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement and management was constantly changing because they were under contract.

The opportunities for advancement are all up to you!

Team Leader (Current Employee) Roanoke, IN

ProsThe benefits package, education & training are at your finger tips, always trying to become a better company

ConsThe culture on the shop floor is not for the timid. Diiversity is more prominent in the UAW than management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam Leaders need more support from management.Y Group Leaders need to be accountable for there Teams taking advantage of Team Leaders. You put Team Leaders in awkward position by giving them management tasks but no power to do anything about it. Also Team Leaders need educated on how to deal with difficult Team Members, & when you have a habitual offending Team, Management needs to deal directly with the situation & not tiptoe around it, just because they are afraid they will turn down Over Time. Making a Team watch a movie about Diversity won't work, you have to specifically call them out on their specific actions otherwise there is never a team that can work as a real team because they are working against the Team Leaders purposely. If you have a Group Leader who has personal knowledge of these situations & does nothing about it they are just as Guilty in creating the Hostile work environment & that is not good management. A GM employee should be able to go to work & do their job to the best of their ability with no drama. Management should shut drama down bite it in the bud before it gets out of control! This is a nightmare waiting to happen, also a lawsuit!

Great

ProsSimply Amazing GREAT place to work

ConsNothing bad best company to work for

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, fantastic benefits. Top notch

ConsThere really aren't any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Lost Focus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal Market - German Engineering is carrying the Company

ConsLack of Experience -- Work every day -- 11 hours / Day (7 days a Week) - Lost focus on Manufacturing of the Product - to much Peter Principle. Young Management out of control. To much propaganda -- out of control.

50/50

Software Developer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat pay, work hours seem to be flexible. Okay benefits, everyone has access to company cars. Reallocation package is nice.

ConsVery unstructured, everyone here is new so there really aren't many people to go to for help with BASIC things. I'm fresh out of college I want to be surrounded by people that can help me grown not a ton of other college hires. Too many people here lost and confused. If they offer you a job after one interview be cautious.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down. The waves of people being hired are too large, and the increments are too close together. This results in a ton of lost and confused people.

Too many silos, but is improving

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsExciting, get to make decisions that look way into the future

ConsWay to short term focused

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is too flat. People need a rung to reach for

Good Experience

Wholesale Specialist (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsPlenty to like if you are a gear head. Plenty of room to climb the ladder if you are willing to relocate.

ConsNo real chance to climb the ladder if you are not willing to relocate

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is more than one path to success. Thinking outside of the box can pay off.

Love the company but it won't love you.

Zone Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people and dealer body. Flexibility for field employees.

ConsStagnant culture that is still making the same mistakes from pre bankruptcy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your dealers and your employees. Listen to the ideas that come from both groups. Remove the red tape.

Great experience in the manufacturing management, responsibilities were great!

Account Executive (Former Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsGreat company to work for? the efficiency of this plant is great

ConsA lot of walking varied hours two hour commute

Advice to Senior ManagementMore companies should have training available for all jobs within their jurisdiction.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!