General Motors Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.5

General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 59 reviews)

• Wide variety of career possibilities, excellent pay and benefits, fun products (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge working in a global company (in 24 reviews)

• Significance of work sometimes requires long hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Overworked, no advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is okay, the benefits are workable. For the work that you have to do, though, it's not worth it. My schedule was somewhat flexible, though that was due to my manager more than company policy.

Cons

So many 60-70 hour weeks. The division I was working in was so understaffed and over projected that there was no way around it. There wasn't any end in sight, either, with no plans to bring more personnel on. Advancement opportunities are a myth as well. They will tell you that as soon as something opens up advancements will happen, and then nothing happens. Rumor has it they aren't promoting from within, just bringing experience from outside.

Take the pulse of your employees once in a while, and not with a worthless workplace survey that just leads to more lip-service about how it's a "workplace of choice."

professional environment at working level

Former Employee - Design Engineer
    Former Employee - Design Engineer

I worked at General Motors full-time

Pros

you learn a lot from work, good training

Cons

competition for personal growth can be high

Work culture

I have been working at General Motors as a contractor

Pros

Its always feels you acheived everything in your life when you are in such a big firm. Work culture, employee relation are very good

Cons

nothing to say abot it.

Hard place to work for great rewards

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Kansas City, KS

I worked at General Motors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid a lot for what you do. You won't find this kind of pay anywhere. The benefits are great & you also have the union behind you.

Cons

The demand on you is tough at times, especially when you start off. You get moved around a lot & you may get stuck on a shift that you don't like.

The greatest 14 years I could have asked for

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Moraine, OH
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Moraine, OH

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* Being able to see a finised product you helped build on the road getting friends and family from point A to point B makes you satisfied.
    * Able to move up the ranks through promotion.
    * Vacation time
    * Checks never bounced.... never.

Cons

* The long hours. If you are young with a young family this may not be the most healthy job for familys.

* Respect and support front line supervisors.

Great place to work in R&D

Former Employee - R&D Intern
    Former Employee - R&D Intern

I worked at General Motors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive R&D in automative industry. A lot of state-of-the-art technology is created there every year. As a researcher, you may have a great impact on so many people.
    Also, the working hours are flexible. As long as you work hard, you can just work most of the time at home.

Cons

Very corporate and heavily bureaucratic. In a way, GM is very dynamic, especially in R&D which s nicely managed. However, the product developed today, take years before arriving to the market. This can and should be revised by the management.
    Location, even though historical, is not great. When you compare to NYC or CA at least.

Headed in the right direction

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is continually evolving to meet the needs and wants of employees. The company takes great effort into improving employee engagement. A workplace of choice survey is given and actions are taken to ensure improvement.

Cons

Large company pains = lots of IT issues and overly complicated processes sometimes. Job opportunities can seem limited to your "silo" unless you do some serious networking.

A company sponsored lease program would be great!

Very good internship experience, highly recommended.

Former Employee - Vehicle Test Engineer
    Former Employee - Vehicle Test Engineer

I worked at General Motors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I got to work to test actual vehicles every day. I learned a lot about the vehicle development process, from design to testing to production, which was very valuable experience in the automotive industry. Got to do a lot of hands-on work on vehicles too!

Cons

Projects seem to move a little slower than you would like, and it's hard to work on projects you may be interested in but are not within your position. It definitely seemed like you would have to be aggressive with projects you took on to be able to move forward within the company.

Management was very supportive of me and my goals, keep it up!

Good Benefits, positive environment

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of travel opportunities if you are a manager; they fly around between offices constantly. Office environment is relaxed, casual and relatively low stress. Work-life balance is good. Benefits are good (except for vesting schedule in 401k).

Cons

Horrible 401k vesting; it shouldn't take 2 years just to get to keep 20% of the company match (which isn't exactly off the charts at 4%). Poor communication within and between teams. Some I.T. Managers who were hired as part of the insourcing initiative only care about hiring their friends, whether they are intelligent or not.

Improve the vesting schedule for 401k so we don't feel like prisoners. Question decisions more so that bad senior managers can't waste hundreds of thousands of dollars paying java developers to develop applications with the same (or less) functionality as applications the company already licensed from HP and will not be portable if the company changes preferred vendors.

Interesting and face past

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping the customers with their vehicle concerns and offering assistance when possible

Cons

Being able to assist the new hires.