General Motors

General Motors Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours can sometimes make optimal work/life balance difficult (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

depends what you are looking for

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood benefit. GM treats their employee fair. Many holidays, in general you don't have to spend more than 8 hours per day, lay back. There are some interesting projects.

ConsA big number of people coming from DELL - HP. This leads to many issues, if you know what I mean.

Hiring people not based on their skill set, but on other things. Behavioral interview questions will not help you to find most qualified candidates.

Folks from Detroit are used to deal with contractors, slow to adapt. Getting good business requirements are very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy employee has to pay for coffee?

The New GM

Buyer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsExcellent work / life balance

ConsSome of the internal processes are very slow to change with a organization of that size

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are on tract to ensuring the longevity of the company as a global leader. Keep on the path.

Very good employer

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Saint Johnsbury, VT

ProsThe pay is very good if you are willing to put in the hours

ConsNot much time off if you want to get paid well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsPeople, mentoring, great benefits & pay

ConsDifficult to advance without a degree (experience and work ethic should count), long hours and physical work. Supervision is moved around and dont get adequate training which makes.it difficult for the employees to adjust.

Advice to Senior ManagementGroom the people that love what they do & listen to their concerns

Great work place

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Arling, ID

ProsI had a wonderful experience working for GM. The senior staff are very helpful and they give good guuidance on what to do next. I recommend working with them.

ConsTHe reason i left them is that they don't give enough training for senior management, and the salary growth is limited

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more training for employees, and raise the salary.

Great Opportunity

Software Developer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsEveryone is very friendly. You have an opportunity to be a part of a Fortune 7 company, but at the same time, you are building the IT function from the ground up with the in-sourcing plans in place. Austin is the greatest city.

ConsIt is a great city, but the traffic is terrible. Also, space is filling up fast in the building. Pretty soon it will be over-crowded. There are a lot of regulations to follow and be aware of, given the status of the company.

Great company morale and lively spirit. Still suffers from corporate politics at all levels.

Information Security Analyst (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGM has decent benefits, good training, and provides more holidays off then most fortune companies. I work with a lot of great fun people. Not a stressful environment; work-life balance is good.

ConsThe compensation is average - they offer use of corporate cars as compensation/benefits.

GM is slow to get anything done. Approval after approval after approval- meetings after meetings after meetings without actually getting somewhere.

Excellent Career for Intellectually Inclined People!

Software Developer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsFlexibility, challenging work tasks, learn something new everyday, usage of the latest and greatest technology set. Ability to drive a new car four times a year. Great benefits, even better 401K plan and very competitive salary/bonus structure. All the software development training one could ever ask for along with a hefty tuition reimbursement package!

ConsConsidering the sheer size of GM causes lags in getting things approved/accomplished. Lack of career direction. Warren Tech Centers looks as though we are in 1950's.

Advice to Senior ManagementConceptualize a career planning road map for employees

Opportunity to study, design, do research and overall define the direction of the product that I work on.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

Pros8000 in tuition a year.
    My manager encourages me to study.
    Great work-life balance.
    Discount on GM vehicles.

ConsPeople get's scared easily.
    Personal agendas.
    "Java Enterprise Edition" kind of engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse better tech.
    Stop buying crap from Oracle.
    Become a software design powerhouse.

Senior IT Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPositive work environment with motivated peers as well as upper management.

ConsThe training tools can be improve. Creating some of the training as virtual class rooms should improve the issue of classes getting cancel because the lack of head count.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure training is available for the employees if you want to retain your employees. Feeling that you can't do your job because the lack of training can be very frustrating.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!