General Motors Reviews

Reset

1,180 Employee Reviews

1. Software Developer

I have been working at General Motors

Pros

Great benefits, relaxed environment, orientation training, you have your time in your hands unless you have meetings

Cons

Bad at placing people according to their background, off site managers, lack of senior developers

It's what I image a government job would be like

Current Employee - Software Developer in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Roswell, GA

I have been working at General Motors

Pros

Big company that has great benefits. Job security. I like the people personally. Lots of fringe benefits like check out a car for a week.

Cons

bureaucratic nightmare. 90% of your job is pushing useless paper. Very political. Lots of lazy people due to being not held accountable because of the paperwork nightmare.

Advice to Management

You need quality IT people and not quantity of IT people. Quite hiring 2 college hires for each Senior Hire. If you would make your processes efficient you would be more productive and need 2/3rds or the staff you have now. Too many mangers looking out for their own self. Need a management headcount reduction at the mid to lower levels.

Relaxed, friendly enviroment

Current Employee - Intern in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly, great work-life balance. Lots of opportunities to advance. The campus is very nice with many green spaces.

Cons

Very very big organization. Can feel lost in the shuffle sometimes. Endless cube farm in the larger buildings, with confusing layout.

Advice to Management

I approve. I wish that there was more emphasis on less meetings and more doing. It seems like you just go from meeting to meeting all day with almost no time to get things done.

5. Great Company to Work for.

Current Employee - MP-10 in Burton, MI
    Current Employee - MP-10 in Burton, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love everything about this job and people that I meet and work with.

Cons

This plant that I work at is 180 miles round trip each day.

6. Some Plants Want to Keep Temps Indefinitely

Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Flint, MI

I have been working at General Motors part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rate of Pay for entry level employees is on par with/better than most jobs requiring next to no education

Cons

Minus Holiday Pay* (you need to establish 90 days worked) and regular raises*, you don't receive any perks (vacation time, job selection, insurance, bonus checks, job security, accumulating seniority) until the company decides to make you a full time, permanent, hourly employee. Way back when, you would be one after 90 days flat out. Today, you can be a temp indefinitely. I've been for 3.5 years and I know many who were for 6-7+. You are forced to work the most undesirable jobs in your facility that nobody else wants and you are very much encouraged not to try and take time off, because essentially you are there for absence relief. You may be laid off several times before you are hired, they may also lay you off, and later bring in other people who've never worked for the company before and hire them despite you never having given them a reason not to want you back. *You lose your earned rate of pay established through raises every time you are laid off. Basically you have to start anew. Also you'll have to earn holiday pay back every time

Advice to Management

How about you throw your temps a bone and hire them - the hardest working people you have - AT LEAST after they rack up YEAR(s) of straight employment without stops. People are not robots they need vacation time, sick time, job security, and benefits...

very political

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at General Motors

Pros

-chill coworkers -cool cars (if you like gm)

Cons

This is definitely one of those who you know kind of places. Too many things are done with looks and secret meetings. A lot of people are unhappy with their jobs but won't speak up due to fear of retaliation. Management can't be trusted, they are capable of doing anything at the drop of a hat. GM likes to talk about how they are changing things, but really you can tell they ache to treat everyone like blue collered employees.

Advice to Management

value your subordinates

8. GM Great Company

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Diverse place to work. Management is helfpul. Teammates are helpful

Cons

Bigger company can be overwhelming .Dont learn new things often. Can be segmented in a role

9. Making Progress

Current Employee - Senior CAE Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Senior CAE Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and occasional work from home if you have the right manager. Lot's of hiring going on, but maybe too much. Good career potential for a young, new hire. (See below if you are experienced.)

Cons

With pensions frozen there's no real reason to stay other than accrued vacation time. You need to be very political to get ahead. There's little regard for technical excellence. More bureaucracy seems to be management's answer to every problem. Management only seems interested in developing and promoting youth. Mid career employees who've been stuck waiting for Baby Boomers to retire and open up opportunities are being overlooked.

Advice to Management

Give more consideration to those who still have 10 to 25 years to go in their career. If you're not getting the results you want, ask yourself if you have the right people in place in middle management. Address the problems in 'the frozen middle'.

10. Design Release Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Managers are super friendly and there are challenges everyday. You don't stick to one task forever. Interesting projects come relatively often.

Cons

It is in MI, where the weather is not bearable for everybody. And it is not paying as much as Ford, if your goal is making as much money as possible only.

Advice to Management

That is a awesome program and I am feeling I was so lucky that I got the interview. I won't go any other company since I feel really comfortable here.

11. Good start but very limited room to grow

I have been working at General Motors

Pros

- Young professional and new college hire atmosphere. - Good Pay. - Good company to start or finish your career life.

Cons

- If you're a college hire, you're stuck in your role for 3 years. You can't get promoted or change teams. - No room for career development.

Showing 1,180 of 1,287 reviews