General Motors Reviews

1,146 Employee Reviews

1. Terrible Management IT Innovation center

Former Employee - GM IT Innovation Center in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - GM IT Innovation Center in Atlanta, GA

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None...many companies offer same or better benefits. Medical covers nothing until deductible is paid.

Cons

Horrible inexperienced management, including upper management. Employees and management are allowed to disrespect and retaliate against employees if a complaint is geared towards management. HR is a absolute Joke!! VERY high turnover. Folks are known to leave GM IT innovation after working there 4 months or less...in lew of so called "good pay and benefits". Horrible culture. Technology is sub-par. Stressful environment. Stay clear. Much better opportunities out there.

Advice to Management

GM I T Innovation Centers....Start over or get your attorneys ready.

Avoid if you're young

Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and good benefits.

Cons

Summary:
    If you're young as I am and don't have to worry about your kids college, mortgage, medical bills, or debt then please find a job that is meaningful to you. Perhaps there is a place at GM you would like but I caution you my experience wasn't an outlier.

-Lock-in policies. When I decided to quit I found that GM has agreements with most of their suppliers and all of the contracting companies they work with to not hire GM employees. When I asked my supervisor if he could be my reference for an apartment I was told that GM has a strict no reference policy. That's right as far as auto industry was concerned I was stuck as a GM employee and even if I did get out professionally I'd have nothing to show for it.. For this reason alone, I would highly recommend never joining this company for any amount of time.

-Motivation Draining. The time I work at GM was some of the worst time of my life. I had money but that didn't matter. I spent it on anything that would make me forget about the work day. My work time was spent on facebook, listening to music, reading comics, and basically anything that I could do to waste time. I was told to write a spec but not told what it was about, what to put in it, or even who to contact to find out. When I'd ask my supervisor he'd give me some pointless task for me to spin my wheels on for a few days. When I did get "real work" it would be ridiculous stuff like reading a 1000+ page book, converting 10000+ line excel documents into XML, or the details on a spec I had to write in 2 days.. Learn from my experience. Do not waste your time here.

-Unfriendly Corporate Culture. Upon entering the building there were hundreds of nameless faces that would pass by without a glance in my direction. After awhile, I thought this was normal. This alone has scarred my social interaction. I'm still trying to be comfortable with giving people a polite hello while walking past them.

-Absurd Limitations. During my time at GM, I found it difficult to even get the basic resources I needed to do my job. I requested a network drive of 250MB in size so that a coworker and I could share code. To GM's credit, I received a approval email but that email came with no instructions on how to access the drive. Of course, what we needed was a Git, SVN, or CVS server but I was told that it would take at least 2 years to get permission for such a luxury.

-No Aesthetic Values. If you enjoy working in a grey cubical at the end of a grey hall with sparse pictures of GM brand cars on the walls day in and day out. This is the place for you! If you enjoy looking at grass, gravel, and parking lots while taking a walk at lunch. This is the place for you! If you enjoy easy excess to lovely restaurants like "Red Cactus Grill", "SoupZone", and "Home Zone" then please read no more and sign yourself up for a low stress and unmeaningful career.

-Poorly Located. Warren Michigan. Enough Said.

Advice to Management

Destroy your culture! Anything is better than what you have. You need to make a radical change in how your company is structured to survive. I know this change can only happen from the top and the top won't take any risks, but I have to say it.

3. OnStar Commerce Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here was the most upsetting experience. I can not think of one thing that is a pro to advise to other job seekers.

Cons

The working environment is poor and filled with dysfunction at every turn. There has been a long history of launch failures and this continues. GM does not want to change and the culture is really bad. I would think long and hard about working at GM as they are stuck in the past and like it there..

Advice to Management

Management knows of issues but does not want to fix them. They are more concerned with launching versus launching a successful product.

Disappointment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burton, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burton, MI

I worked at General Motors (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Employee Benefits Package and Tuition Reimbursement. The pay is comparable to any job in the industry.

Cons

Management does not know the value of the workers in the many plants that service the companies bottom line. The sites are run like a high school and if you are not popular you are out..

Advice to Management

If you want actually value your employees you will honor them for 15 years of service instead of bullying them until they are fired. Discrimination should not be tolerated but in Burton, MI it is accepted and encouraged. The three shift rotation should be limited to 2 years.

6. Best automotive company to work for in Michigan

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We work by process. Work is not demanding and provide balance in work and personal life.
    Benefit is good.

Cons

Work is not exciting and there are many people who doesn't work, which discourages us.
    There will be competition from Asian company.

Advice to Management

GM needs to be more goal oriented instead of process oriented.

7. Great Employer

Current Employee - Buyer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Buyer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GM is a solid employer that pays and compensates with salary and benefits over the market average. They have a great long-term outlook with a senior management team focused on the future of the company, not just the now. I'm very impressed with my time so far at GM.

Cons

As with any large coproration there is lag-time and hundreds of systems. These could be consolidated for more effcient use of time.

clay modeler

Former Employee - Clay Modeler in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Clay Modeler in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors

Pros

good place to learn design field if you have the time.

Cons

most employees are related to, or brought in by managers

IT group

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Expanding, focused on innovation and moving GM forward

Cons

New leadership centered in Austin TX and are part of good ole boy club from previous companies where they worked together. Better hire in at that location if you want to move places.

Advice to Management

You are wasting talent in the other locations.

10. Been here for 2.5 years

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Brand new technology
    Great culture. Lots of young people, so keeps the office lively

Cons

Sometimes work hours are skewed for deadlines (not often)
    Pay raises aren't great. Come in with a good salary.

Advice to Management

Pay lower employees more. give us cars too!

Benefits and work load.

Current Employee - Mainframe Developer in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Mainframe Developer in Conyers, GA

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Start off with 3 weeks of vacation. Have an option in health benefits to take an annual physical and get up to $1,500.00 put in your Healthcare Spending Account. A chance to earn an annual bonus. Company has a lot of holidays including an end of year shutdown period that allows you to be off from usually the day before Christmas Eve until after New Years Day.

Cons

Depending on what area you work in the work load can vary making your role either real busy or running at a snail pace. Still appears IT is setup to run like it's outsourced inside of being in- house.

Showing 1,146 of 1,250 reviews