General Motors

161 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Engineering Intern

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsOne of the best working environments ever. The people you work with are such great people. When you have questions they try there best to help you.

ConsBeing part of such a huge company means that it is a challenge to contact the correct people

Interesting work but stilted leadership.

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

Prosgood benefits and strong resources

Consthe leadership culture inhibits job satisfaction, they are too clicky and need to be more results-oriented than they currently are.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership culture change is needed, needs new blood or ideas, should not be so inbred.

New GM

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsReorganization at its peak
    New Hirin brings a lots of new graduates
    Very Focused on Build brands for quality and durability

ConsLess Opportunities for experienced employee
    Company is Still top Heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate Career Advancement Opportunities for productive employees.
    Eliminate waste and Retire unproductive employee to create more opportunities.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Transition

IT Department (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsHigh Salaries, Access to Training and Certification, Love working with cars, opportunities to travel to scenic Austin for business trips

ConsIn the middle of IT transition. Communication is poor. Culture has gone from cooperative to cutthroat. We are spending more time on metrics and department operation than we are on helping build cars and trucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what makes sense

Overall rating of employer

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsMultiple tasks, benefits, personnel from all types of countries, persons willing to work together from all departments to accomplish many tasks for their group and many other areas.

ConsAdvancement in a company that large is quite difficult to achieve unless you know someone higher up and with unusual skills and achievements.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with all departments and individuals especially if they are willing and wanting to move ahead and achieve much in their lifetime.

Working for the General.

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsGreat place for Automotive Engineering Experience.

ConsPace your self takes a while to work your way up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Good company, excellent potential

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsColleagues, friendly and generally courteous interactions at meetings, work-life balance is quite good and gives you flexibility with work hours.

ConsManagement can be hierarchical and some departments can be bureaucratic resulting in delayed decision making. Career growth prospects are slim to none and promotions are often made based on whom you know rather than what you can do.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people objectively based on capabilities instead of subjective criteria

Diversified

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsNew products are very competitive and well positioned in the market. Pricing is very good and incentives are attractive to younger buyers on a budget. New pick ups should do well in an improving market.

ConsSlow growth, needs to conquer more affluent customers who are willing to pay more for their cars and trucks. There are some areas in the portfolio that need to be filled in order to maximize market share and revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not shy from facing problems, admit mistakes and do not repeat them

GM somehow cannot take the leap to be a great company.

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Warren, MI

ProsGM still pays better than many companies around Detroit as well as nationally. If you are lucky to be in a good group, you get to do interesting work. For a Mechanical Engineer, cars are among the most interesting things to work on. Detroit suburbs are boring but have many good schools, affordable housing and the state of Michigan is home to good universities.

ConsGM is a company to become a "one trick pony." Most employees end up doing the same stuff year after year. It is important to be placed in an important product development group. Otherwise, career can quickly become meaningless. There are many bad managers. Promotions are generally reserved for people involved in cost cutting. Detroit is not a fun city either.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to be empowered and rewarded. It is important to get rid of old boys clubs within the companies.

Could a, Would a, Should a

ProsGood Pay, Great facility, Great people

ConsLittle to no Integrity, Bad leadership behavior everywhere

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Help, find compassion

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

General Motors Videos

General Motors – Why Work for Us?

At GM, we believe that striking a positive work-life balance leads to an engaged, productive work force. In fact, we believe that by empowering our employees to explore flextime and telecommuting options, not only can… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings in Warren, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All 161 reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.