General Motors

General Motors Reviews in Warren, MI

Updated Jul 29, 2014

General Motors CEO Mary Barra

Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 46 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are good and the ambassador program lets you check out many of the products (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can be challenging (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours can sometimes make optimal work/life balance difficult (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights
164 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

General Motors Intern

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsThe people that work here are awesome. As an intern, I never had the feeling of being unable to ask someone for help. People are busy but they are more than welcome to take some time to explain things. They will also take time out of their day to explain what their job is or what their function does. Depending on who you get for a supervisor/manager has a big impact on how your experience is.

ConsGeneral Motors is a slower moving company but that comes with size.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse some of your influence to implement what your employees are suggesting. Also, do not put all your effort to reaching the short goals. Try to focus on implementing some of the suggestions from employees and meeting your goals will follow.

Many opportunities, great people, and interesting, challenging work

Director (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsOpportunity to develop great products with top notch resources available and opportunities for continued growth and learning.

ConsWork/life balance can be a challenge working in a global company

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a strong customer focus. Keep the product portfolio the right size to compete efficiently with other OEMs.

Good employer

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsLots of resources. Many highly qualified and talented people. Reasonable work life balance.

ConsLots of management. Lots of meetings. Slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementFewer levels of management and a flatter organization would help. Stop the promotion based on how many directors you know process.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Facilities (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsWorking in the plant is never boring.

ConsThere are not enough minutes in the day to get everything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make the mistake again by pushing all the older people out.

Rating GM

Dre (Former Employee) Warren, MI

ProsReceived engineering education at GM, good benefits & perks.

ConsNot becoming lost in an average position as the years pass.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not transfer work to other countries, especially taking existing work from U.S. employees.

GM Needs to change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsDecent styling on current products

ConsLack of direction from management. Required training for GM employees is negligible. It sometimes seems like there is a complete lack of interest in doing something new or different and then surprised that the results are the same as always. New technologies are ignored or mistrusted.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job with your contract employees. Remove the harsh restrictions on them if they want to move around either internally or to other OEM's. Its a disgrace how you treat them.

Oh the politics...

Vmware Administrator (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsSteady work. The environment always seems to change very often.

ConsThe political/bureaucratic atmosphere is exhausting. You'll find yourself performing "under the table" tasks for your direct supervisor because he/she wants to impress the management, only to find yourself being thrown under the bus when a competing manager finds out. If your manager likes you, you have a better shot at moving up, but if they do not, good luck transferring internally. You're only option for increase compensation is to leave GM all together.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing into your people. Offer training on ALL levels. Stop the shadow IT and force management to all work together. Too many chiefs, not enough indians (figuratively).

Great pay, difficult to be promoted without major connections....

Engineering (Former Employee) Warren, MI

ProsGood compensation
    Good vehicle discount purchase programs
    Decent do-workers

ConsStill clinging onto the O.B.N.
    Promotions based on "who you know" rather than formal credentials
    Some of the ethical challenges seem to have carried over from the "old" GM

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth and try to rate employees based on contributions rather than level of connectedness.

Good for younger employees

Engineer (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsMake great products, working hours are pretty flexible and the vacation time is real good, along with the holidays.

ConsMake great products, although the employee discount could better or have a lease program for employees similar to the other auto companies.

Fair and equal treatment not given.

Validation Engineer (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsIt is an ok company and I enjoy my position. I do like the people I work with in the lower level positions but I don't know what much of the higher up people are like.

ConsI feel that as a contract employee the company treats you much differently than a salary employee. I am not happy how as a contract employee I have to go around figuring out how to get access to everything when all the salary people get it when they start and they also get trained much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry treating your contract employees more like salary employees and things would move a lot simpler and better. The employees would also feel more part of the company and there would be less issues going wrong.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!