General Motors Reviews

Reset
3.8
General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

Pros
  • Great place for good work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Large Organization with chances to grow, Excellent Pay and Benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is pretty bad (in 25 reviews)

• Long hours can sometimes make optimal work/life balance difficult (in 26 reviews)

Relaxed, friendly enviroment

Current Employee - Intern in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly, great work-life balance. Lots of opportunities to advance. The campus is very nice with many green spaces.

Cons

Very very big organization. Can feel lost in the shuffle sometimes. Endless cube farm in the larger buildings, with confusing layout.

Advice to Management

I approve. I wish that there was more emphasis on less meetings and more doing. It seems like you just go from meeting to meeting all day with almost no time to get things done.

2. Design Release Engineer

I have been working at General Motors full-time

Pros

Managers are super friendly and there are challenges everyday. You don't stick to one task forever. Interesting projects come relatively often.

Cons

It is in MI, where the weather is not bearable for everybody. And it is not paying as much as Ford, if your goal is making as much money as possible only.

Advice to Management

That is a awesome program and I am feeling I was so lucky that I got the interview. I won't go any other company since I feel really comfortable here.

Connections matter more than performance. Traditional thinking

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked in advanced technology area so good learning and decent work environment and work life balance.

Cons

Opportunity to grow was limited and depends on who and how well you know people or may be how many years you spend on each level. Very traditional thinking.

Advice to Management

Promote based on talent and skills not based time spent at each level or network within the company. Someone else commented that getting to 8th level is a huge deal and again depends on who you know, very true. So make it fair game.

5. opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow in your career. Great people to work with. Work life balance.

Cons

GM is a big company and politics exist. Long days, lots of hours tends to be the norm. Retirement plans for younger employees.

Advice to Management

Encourage more work life balance.

6. Project Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very challenging work. Pay is pretty good. Bonus is nice in good years. Good people to work with.

Cons

Silos still exist. Basically need to have minority status to get promoted. Amazing how many have been promoted to level of their own competence.

Advice to Management

Start walking the talk. Most are just trying to stay out of the way, so they don't get noticed.

7. IT Business Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are better than most.

Cons

Management is erratic in quality. Former direct manager had terrible people skills.

Avoid if you're young

Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and good benefits.

Cons

Summary:
    If you're young as I am and don't have to worry about your kids college, mortgage, medical bills, or debt then please find a job that is meaningful to you. Perhaps there is a place at GM you would like but I caution you my experience wasn't an outlier.

-Lock-in policies. When I decided to quit I found that GM has agreements with most of their suppliers and all of the contracting companies they work with to not hire GM employees. When I asked my supervisor if he could be my reference for an apartment I was told that GM has a strict no reference policy. That's right as far as auto industry was concerned I was stuck as a GM employee and even if I did get out professionally I'd have nothing to show for it.. For this reason alone, I would highly recommend never joining this company for any amount of time.

-Motivation Draining. The time I work at GM was some of the worst time of my life. I had money but that didn't matter. I spent it on anything that would make me forget about the work day. My work time was spent on facebook, listening to music, reading comics, and basically anything that I could do to waste time. I was told to write a spec but not told what it was about, what to put in it, or even who to contact to find out. When I'd ask my supervisor he'd give me some pointless task for me to spin my wheels on for a few days. When I did get "real work" it would be ridiculous stuff like reading a 1000+ page book, converting 10000+ line excel documents into XML, or the details on a spec I had to write in 2 days.. Learn from my experience. Do not waste your time here.

-Unfriendly Corporate Culture. Upon entering the building there were hundreds of nameless faces that would pass by without a glance in my direction. After awhile, I thought this was normal. This alone has scarred my social interaction. I'm still trying to be comfortable with giving people a polite hello while walking past them.

-Absurd Limitations. During my time at GM, I found it difficult to even get the basic resources I needed to do my job. I requested a network drive of 250MB in size so that a coworker and I could share code. To GM's credit, I received a approval email but that email came with no instructions on how to access the drive. Of course, what we needed was a Git, SVN, or CVS server but I was told that it would take at least 2 years to get permission for such a luxury.

-No Aesthetic Values. If you enjoy working in a grey cubical at the end of a grey hall with sparse pictures of GM brand cars on the walls day in and day out. This is the place for you! If you enjoy looking at grass, gravel, and parking lots while taking a walk at lunch. This is the place for you! If you enjoy easy excess to lovely restaurants like "Red Cactus Grill", "SoupZone", and "Home Zone" then please read no more and sign yourself up for a low stress and unmeaningful career.

-Poorly Located. Warren Michigan. Enough Said.

Advice to Management

Destroy your culture! Anything is better than what you have. You need to make a radical change in how your company is structured to survive. I know this change can only happen from the top and the top won't take any risks, but I have to say it.

9. Great Employer

Current Employee - Buyer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Buyer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GM is a solid employer that pays and compensates with salary and benefits over the market average. They have a great long-term outlook with a senior management team focused on the future of the company, not just the now. I'm very impressed with my time so far at GM.

Cons

As with any large coproration there is lag-time and hundreds of systems. These could be consolidated for more effcient use of time.

clay modeler

Former Employee - Clay Modeler in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Clay Modeler in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors

Pros

good place to learn design field if you have the time.

Cons

most employees are related to, or brought in by managers

11. Family

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work hard

Cons

Not so good salary right now

Showing 218 of 1,240 reviews