General Motors

3.5
1,012 Reviews

General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

Pros
  • Good work life Balance, excellent colleagues to work with very professional (in 60 reviews)

• Salary employees are treated very well, good pay and benefits, great work environment (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge working in a global company (in 25 reviews)

• Significance of work sometimes requires long hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

188 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great pay, difficult to be promoted without major connections....

Former Employee - Engineering in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation
    Good vehicle discount purchase programs
    Decent do-workers

Cons

Still clinging onto the O.B.N.
    Promotions based on "who you know" rather than formal credentials
    Some of the ethical challenges seem to have carried over from the "old" GM

Share the wealth and try to rate employees based on contributions rather than level of connectedness.

Good for younger employees

Current Employee - Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Make great products, working hours are pretty flexible and the vacation time is real good, along with the holidays.

Cons

Make great products, although the employee discount could better or have a lease program for employees similar to the other auto companies.

Fair and equal treatment not given.

Current Employee - Validation Engineer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Validation Engineer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is an ok company and I enjoy my position. I do like the people I work with in the lower level positions but I don't know what much of the higher up people are like.

Cons

I feel that as a contract employee the company treats you much differently than a salary employee. I am not happy how as a contract employee I have to go around figuring out how to get access to everything when all the salary people get it when they start and they also get trained much better.

Try treating your contract employees more like salary employees and things would move a lot simpler and better. The employees would also feel more part of the company and there would be less issues going wrong.

Contract Work at GM

Former Employee - Product Engineering Technician II in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Product Engineering Technician II in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work to keep you busy. Things are constantly changing, so you have to stay on the edge.

Cons

Large corporation environment that supports its direct hire employees, but not so much its contract employees. Lower level employees are treated as expendable people rather than assets to the corporation.

Start valuing everyone's contribution to the company. Recognize and reward talent, rather than remind them that they can be fired at any time.

Not the right "time" to be at GM R&D

Former Employee - Researcher in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Researcher in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GM R&D has a good reputation extending from the past, so when you work there you enjoy outsiders appreciating where you work, even though this only comes from the past. with no real present impact.

Cons

Absolutely no vision for the development of new hires. You're basically on your own. If you are lucky enough to have a manager who is a good person and believes it is his/her job to help you develop, you can stay where you are for years.

R&D in the recent decade has always been struggling with constantly (justifying our existence).

Full lack of transparency in promotions and bonuses.

Leadership in the last 4 years has been more concerned with inter-company politics than with actually achieving prosperity for the company.

Pay more attention to your young caliber who are ambitious and hungry for achievements, but just are not receiving proper coaching. I have seen many smart people while working there who have been there for around 10 years and still waiting for a chance because they are not aggressive enough.

Get your foot in the door, Good company and Great Opportunities!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Offers many opportunities for change, good pay, and many benefits. Management is very helpful, and there are many great resources.

Cons

More opportunities for contract employees would be nice, other than that I am pleased.

More resources to assist contract employees wanting to make a move to "full" GM status.

Intern Research

Former Employee - Research Intern in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent work environment, Good set of problems to work on.

Cons

In Detroit! Research is not very well tied to academia.

Hear to your researchers

Great career building opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Warren, MI

I worked at General Motors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse functional and educational opportunities - personal and professional interests may be pursued as one develops and builds their career.

Cons

Overly rigid adherence to external political pressure, especially since federal involvement. Union work rules and social promotion are excessive and onerous. The culture at GM has become far less personally referent over the last two decades.

Fast paced.Can be too fast. There is a precarious balance between a mature product and a fast to market one.

Current Employee - Design Sculptor in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Design Sculptor in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Creativity, great people, and challenging work. Good benefits, compensation, and it can be fun at times.

Cons

Behind the times technologically, and a dismal work environment. Old facility, barren grounds, can make it feel like an abandoned campus.

Certain environments stifle creativity, others promote it...its nothing new, hire a consultant.

BEWARE! Misrepresentation of Employment!

Current Employee - Software Developer in Warren, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Warren, MI

I have been working at General Motors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cafeterias are great. Co-workers friendly and helpful. Bathrooms clean.

Cons

GM is desperate to hire a LOT of IT resources: developers, network engineers, project managers, and so on. The desperation to hire thousands of technical workers drives questionable things to happen, as its so hard to hire technical talent in the first place.

GM cold called me to apply at GM. So I listened to the recruiter, applied, got job, loved the hiring manager, and what I was doing...for one week.

After ONLY ONE WEEK, some other project wasn't going well. Management rotated 1 worker off the project, and told me I'd be reporting to a different manager, and doing something unrelated to my job title and what I was told I would be doing. My offer letter with who I reported to and my job title meant nothing.

I complained to HR, to management, and to the recruiters...nobody cared to make things right, only to force me to report to someone other than my hiring manager, and do a job far less technical than I was hired for, making several technical certifications and my past technical experience irrelevant.

When you give a candidate a job offer in writing of who they report to and what they do, don't change that one week later. That's misrepresentation of employment.

if you can't figure out / project what resources should be on what projects, you have some serious project management problems.

Keep burning new hires, and you'll get a reputation in the technical community...or perhaps you already have a poor reputation, and that's why I got the cold call because you're having problems hiring technical talent.