General Revenue

James Reed
1 Rating

Could be Worse

I worked at General Revenue

Pros

flexible hours and air conditioning

Cons

can be high stress if you dont hit goals

It's not a job for everyone.

Current Employee - Collector in Horseheads, NY
    Current Employee - Collector in Horseheads, NY

I have been working at General Revenue full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a building of team and individual ownership from the very start. Three weeks of paid training prepares you to 'hit the floor'. There are monthly motivational meetings for continued communication and recognition for employees who meet or exceed monthly targets. The company gives back to its local communities through food drives and charity donations.

Cons

The training doesn't prepare you for the work requirements. Compliance is a necessary issue. There is no 'live' monitoring of phone calls which might eliminate bad habits before they form; otherwise it can be a 'luck of the draw' if the infraction is found. The computer system is DOS based and requires 'extra' steps to effect transactions.

Ask your employees what motivates them instead of assuming that making call and message, utilization and other rates public that you are either shaming or encouraging performance. Expect more of your employees in terms of office decorum that promotes the business. Seriously consider the 'rewards' given aside from the ICP structure. Wearing jeans is not a motivator for me and I wonder how many others might agree.

Decent Place to work

Current Employee - Collector I in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Collector I in Mason, OH

I have been working at General Revenue full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling decent base pay and good bonus potential

Cons

Bonuses can be hard to obtain during crunch times with certain clients and goals get raised to unreasonable levels.

Dysfunctional, poorly run company.

Current Employee - Collector I in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Collector I in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at General Revenue full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Climate controlled environment. My paychecks always cleared the bank. There is a small shop that sells candy and sandwiches.

Cons

This company recently went through a top down purge off nearly all senior management. As other reviews have made clear, management never explains their actions. Your boss would be here one day, gone the next. If you've ever read the novel 1984, it was alot like that. People disappear and you were expected to pretend like they never existed in the first place. We were told never to ask questions, and no explanation of any kind was ever offered.
    The training program is half-hearted, and the single most thoroughly dishonest indoctrination process I have ever witnessed. I was lied to over the phone by human resources regarding monthly bonuses, our instructor deliberately obfuscated the payouts and turnover rate, and I as well as the rest of my training class were lied to directly by a member of senior management. This manager was a member of the group that fell victim to "The Great Purge of 2012." The training program is truly laughable. They invest no time in helping you develop any collection skills whatsoever, and instead drill collection law and practices all day. The only real goals of the training staff is to make sure you know how to use the phone, and make sure you know the rules and regulations, so the company is protected from lawsuits. If you question or disagree with the trainers, they lash out and attempt to destroy your credibility. You will be called a negative person with the wrong attitude. Another telling indicator is the fact that the instructors are quick to criticize and discredit anyone who leaves the company for whatever reason. This was the favorite pastime of the most insipid member of the training staff.
    The computer network was “upgraded” around 2010. I use the quotation marks because the new cloud computing network is actually slower than the previous system. Every action on your computer will lag by about one second, and there are so many blocked websites you will not be able to find any information about your borrowers on the internet.
    They say it is a business-casual dress code, but in reality most people dress pretty grungy. Especially some of the females; exposed cleavage and thongs (and worse) are a daily occurrence. It is not pleasant.
    People were always getting sick. It may have just been the job, but there were many complaints about the ventilation system. A member of senior management sat with the workers for a few months to keep an eye on us, then had to retreat to his office because he developed a cough. Also, they had to replace every chair on both our floors around 2010. Someone had infected them with bed bugs, although management would never officially admit it. This was typical behavior for management, as I’ve mentioned. And I repeat, these are the people you will be working with, and for, if you should apply here.
    I was never given a chance to advance. I could not collect, and very few people could. Most quit when reality set in; I stuck it out and eventually got moved to another department that was not collections but every bit as unethical. It was also very short-lived. There are very few opportunities here
    GRC shares the building with two other businesses. Our employees were locked out of the first floor bathrooms. Apparently we were destroying the bathrooms located on that floor. Yes, this is what your colleagues will be like. So, security installed a special card swipe lock on the doors. I do not blame them. Employees from these other two businesses in the building will not speak with you or make eye contact. I am a clean-cut person with a professional appearance, and I practically did not exist in their eyes. In over three years, one person said something to me. I think he was new and did not know I worked at GRC.
    I worked here several years. By the time I was ready to leave, every single person involved in my hiring process had left. This includes the Human Resource employee who initially contacted me, the trainer who instructed our class of 12 (nine of whom were gone within six months), my first senior collector (direct supervisor) and first manager, my first senior manager (who was the only person in the entire company who tried to help me), my director, and the vice president. Every single person quit or was fired in a span of about three years. So in conclusion, if you desperately need a paycheck, this place will hire you so long as you have a pulse. But you will not enjoy your time here. Save yourself, you deserve better.

After being collector of the year first year top talent left company and management suffered And so did our results.

Former Employee - Collector in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Collector in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at General Revenue full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

insurance benefits as soon as you are hired

Cons

low pay
    Long hours and weekends
    Management view that workers are either defiant or stupid

Remember that we all √contribute to your success not the latest 1% who make inflated goals for one month and then quit.

Terrible, Just Terrible

I worked at General Revenue full-time

Pros

I didn't see any Pros

Cons

Too many to list. I don't understand why they were so strict about dress code, you sit in a chair and call people over and over.

Wait, there were managers there?

It was a job to be comfortable at, no opportunities to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at General Revenue

Pros

Good benefits, flexible, relaxed environment

Cons

Management incapabile of communicating effectively

A horrible place to work!

Current Employee - Student Loan Counselor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Student Loan Counselor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at General Revenue

Pros

You start accruing paid time off the day you start working. There is a background check and a drug test, so the employees who work here are usually decent people.

Cons

Management is wretched! The job itself if very boring. The pay structure is poor. The bonus structure changes from month to month. Even if you have hit your monthly bonus, they have the right to change the payout amount after the month is over. This doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. You get very little very feedback on how you are performing. You learn more about the company from the grapevine then you do from management. They try and keep you in the dark for as long as possible. Pretty much everybody that works here is looking for another job, turnover is through the roof. Morale is always running at a all time low, and everybody loathes every second of having to be here. The bottom line is this, if you need a job while you are in between jobs fine, but don't even think about staying long term.

Let your employees know what is going on versus having to stop by the water cooler to find out. Act like your employees are people not machines.

okay job

Former Employee - Debt Collector in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Debt Collector in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at General Revenue

Pros

flexible scheduling, great work environment, friendly co-workers, had a great supervisor. GRC is a decent place to work, even though the job itself can be stressful

Cons

It seemed like the upper management was very much out of touch with those of us who were collectors working on the floor.

Listen to the 'grunts' more often! Don't make needless regulations that you know are going to make the workers angry.

The worst place to work ever!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horseheads, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horseheads, NY

I have been working at General Revenue

Pros

Hmmmmm you work indoors in a nice building.

Cons

Over 500 employees have been hired-fired-quit in 3 years for 300 seats. Terrible managment, work life balance. Stay away.

Die!