Genesco

2.6

Genesco President, CEO, COO, and Director Bob Dennis
Bob Dennis

Awesome

I have been working at Genesco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Advancement can be quick if you are hard working, honest and good at what you do.

Cons

It's retail so you will miss weekends, holidays etc.

Horrendous.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Genesco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working for this company is the clientele. I have an extended retail background and love people!

Cons

They lied about the working conditions to get me to leave my previous job. I worked 60 hour weeks with no breaks. The Store Manager would steal sales from myself and other employees, not to mention how he would make false sales and also give away shoes for food!

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at Genesco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get some experience. Teams are very passionate and care about their work. Summer hours and many organized out of work activities - good focus on work/life balance. Decent hours. Longer hours during busier parts of the season.

Cons

Salary isn't the best, bonus and review structure is weird and inconsistent. Benefits minimal and holidays minimum. Not a ton of upward mobility. Work can be a bit monotonous.

Absolutley the best job ive ever had.

Current Employee - Store Manager- Journey's in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Store Manager- Journey's in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Genesco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is founded on the passion for music in every persons life. To understand the hard work you put in you must believe in the companies values. Genesco has a hard structure because every great company needs to succeed. Were involved in the grammys, founder of the music educator award, lead sponsor in warped tour, and founder of the noise tour. We hold contest that give money back to childrens music education, that give shoes to its employees, and trips around the world. The most amazing thing about this company is the feeling of family. Ive met almost half of the people in washington and in home office and every one has the same feeling of warmth and love. We all our competitive and compassionate. I understand this job is only for ten percent of the world. High energy, love for music, and competitive. The pay is perfect if you love your job and believe in the culture. If i wanted tons and tons of money i would have became a lawyer.

Cons

Keeping up your work ethic everyday, theres no such thing as a bad day at journeys. It hard to say there cons, unless your the other 90 percent than youll think your over worked and under paid. I love feeling on top of the world every day, never feeling like im at work. Journeys offers a culture, not a work enviornment.

Always communicate!

Assistant Manager at Journeys Kidz

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Olympia, WA

I worked at Genesco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's an extremely easy job, if you've worked in customer service and sales for years like I have. If you can make your sales goals, your DM is happy, and you get a bit of commission. It's seriously not hard to run one of these stores, if you have a good staff.

Cons

The salary is the worst I've ever seen. For an assistant manager position, they want you to work 45 hours a week to get your salary which is $200/week. If you DON'T work your required 45 hour weeks, you pay gets bumped to hourly which is 7.20/hr. You're making less than your hourly employees. So if you get sick, you're kind of screwed.

Pay your employees better and if they get sick, don't make them fee like horrible POS's for dealing with someone they didn't expect.

Very disorganized and favoritism showed to younger employees.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Genesco part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get a good discount on shoes.

Cons

The leadership sucked, no advancement and I had 5 years previous experience and a degree.
    One year I was told I could only take vacation if I got someone to work for me. Then one yr when I asked about my vacation I was told it was on the books assumed it was approved and I made reservations and put a deposit down I was told I could not go, but another employee that was related to management was allowed to take his vacation....no problem.

More training,and less favoritism to relatives working within the company. Quit hiring temps, they are not there long enough to grasp all they need to learn to handle the calls. Quit rewarding associates by how many calls they take, they do not take care of the customers problems. Reward the reps who have been with you a long time and are doing their jobs. You should not have to find someone to work for you when it is your time to take a vacation.

Hard for newcomers to acclimate into the culture of the company

Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Genesco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount is a great benefit

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement

better communication

fine

Former Employee - Keyholder in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Genesco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy work, able to check your sales numbers

Cons

limited discount. some poor management. compensation... limited opportunity for promotion.

Hours are not what they advertise.

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Genesco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount is great.
    Employees are upbeat.

Cons

They lie about thr 45hr work week. Thats just the hook to lure people in. Being an experienced manager I was told I would have full control of day to day ops. I wasn't. I wasn't even anle to hire people I knew would make the store turn aroumd quick. I was told the DM needs to do all interiewing. Joke.

Oh yeah how about paying people what is owed.

A nightmare

Former Employee - Co Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Genesco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was told I would only be working 45 hours a week. Ended up doing 90

Cons

Company outright abuses employees it was the worst work place experience of my life