Genesco

Add Photos

Genesco President, CEO, COO, and Director Bob Dennis

Bob Dennis

Awesome

ProsAdvancement can be quick if you are hard working, honest and good at what you do.

ConsIt's retail so you will miss weekends, holidays etc.

Fun place to work

Account Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat place to get some experience. Teams are very passionate and care about their work. Summer hours and many organized out of work activities - good focus on work/life balance. Decent hours. Longer hours during busier parts of the season.

ConsSalary isn't the best, bonus and review structure is weird and inconsistent. Benefits minimal and holidays minimum. Not a ton of upward mobility. Work can be a bit monotonous.

Absolutley the best job ive ever had.

Store Manager- Journey's (Current Employee)
    Bellingham, WA

ProsThis company is founded on the passion for music in every persons life. To understand the hard work you put in you must believe in the companies values. Genesco has a hard structure because every great company needs to succeed. Were involved in the grammys, founder of the music educator award, lead sponsor in warped tour, and founder of the noise tour. We hold contest that give money back to childrens music education, that give shoes to its employees, and trips around the world. The most amazing thing about this company is the feeling of family. Ive met almost half of the people in washington and in home office and every one has the same feeling of warmth and love. We all our competitive and compassionate. I understand this job is only for ten percent of the world. High energy, love for music, and competitive. The pay is perfect if you love your job and believe in the culture. If i wanted tons and tons of money i would have became a lawyer.

ConsKeeping up your work ethic everyday, theres no such thing as a bad day at journeys. It hard to say there cons, unless your the other 90 percent than youll think your over worked and under paid. I love feeling on top of the world every day, never feeling like im at work. Journeys offers a culture, not a work enviornment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways communicate!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very disorganized and favoritism showed to younger employees.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a good discount on shoes.

ConsThe leadership sucked, no advancement and I had 5 years previous experience and a degree.
    One year I was told I could only take vacation if I got someone to work for me. Then one yr when I asked about my vacation I was told it was on the books assumed it was approved and I made reservations and put a deposit down I was told I could not go, but another employee that was related to management was allowed to take his vacation....no problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training,and less favoritism to relatives working within the company. Quit hiring temps, they are not there long enough to grasp all they need to learn to handle the calls. Quit rewarding associates by how many calls they take, they do not take care of the customers problems. Reward the reps who have been with you a long time and are doing their jobs. You should not have to find someone to work for you when it is your time to take a vacation.

Assistant Manager at Journeys Kidz

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Olympia, WA

ProsIt's an extremely easy job, if you've worked in customer service and sales for years like I have. If you can make your sales goals, your DM is happy, and you get a bit of commission. It's seriously not hard to run one of these stores, if you have a good staff.

ConsThe salary is the worst I've ever seen. For an assistant manager position, they want you to work 45 hours a week to get your salary which is $200/week. If you DON'T work your required 45 hour weeks, you pay gets bumped to hourly which is 7.20/hr. You're making less than your hourly employees. So if you get sick, you're kind of screwed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better and if they get sick, don't make them fee like horrible POS's for dealing with someone they didn't expect.

Hard for newcomers to acclimate into the culture of the company

Manager (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsEmployee discount is a great benefit

ConsNot much opportunity for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication

fine

Keyholder (Former Employee)
    Long Island City, NY

Proseasy work, able to check your sales numbers

Conslimited discount. some poor management. compensation... limited opportunity for promotion.

Hours are not what they advertise.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDiscount is great.
    Employees are upbeat.

ConsThey lie about thr 45hr work week. Thats just the hook to lure people in. Being an experienced manager I was told I would have full control of day to day ops. I wasn't. I wasn't even anle to hire people I knew would make the store turn aroumd quick. I was told the DM needs to do all interiewing. Joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementOh yeah how about paying people what is owed.

A nightmare

Co Manager (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsI was told I would only be working 45 hours a week. Ended up doing 90

ConsCompany outright abuses employees it was the worst work place experience of my life

Horrible Company

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Northridge, CA

ProsNone. I was happy that I got the job but then that all change the first week!

ConsAs a manager you have to work 6 days a week. always on you about selling SOCKS!!!!! Really? Focus on something else!

Worked for Genesco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genesco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genesco CEO Bob Dennis. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Genesco employees.