Genesis HealthCare
www.genesishcc.com Kennett Square, PA 5000+ Employees

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Genesis HealthCare – “Kennett Clock Tower”

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.

George V. Hager Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good people to work with; flexibility; good pay"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They offered good benefits at the time"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management"
    in 16 reviews
  • "patient to staff ratio, management to focus on paperwork and not enough patient care"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Micromanagement=high stress

Occupational Therapist (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients. Therapy staff very caring and experienced. Communication between PMs (3 in 2 years) and staff was good. Nursing and therapy enjoyed good relationship most of the time. Finally hired an excellent registered dietician.

ConsWhen genesis bought sundance, the changes have mostly been negative for the staff at the facility level with a major increase in paperwork, productivity standards very difficult to achieve without compromising patient care. Holidays cut to 2 per year. Time off had to be planned quarterly and approved by upper manager. Therapist hourly pay reductions followed by expecting therapists to perform program management duties after PM left and took 3 months to hire another. Upper management micromanaging to the point of sending daily emails to each therapist wanting to know why productivity was not met that day or why minutes were missed or exceeded. Training consists of quick overview of P&P, watch videos and that's it. The facility itself is older and not in great shape, outdated equipment, lack of storage with wheelchairs often just left outside in the weather when not in use. Sewage smells in bathrooms, spiders and ants everywhere, no easy access to water or bathroom for rehab gym. Very little follow through for restorative nursing programs or functional maintenance plans resulting in decreased patient outcomes especially for ambulation, positioning and splinting. The kitchen has not had a dietary manager for at least a year with poor meals, unreliable to provide correct adaptive equipment and prescribed food textures. Only one physician for 80% of the patients. Many complaints that they never get to see the doctor.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop chasing the almighty dollar to the point of negatively impacting patient care. Hounding older (read higher paid) therapists to get them to leave to make room for younger/less experienced therapists is wrong. Improve productivity through improved work flow can be achieved by hiring and training a great rehab tech. It is impossible to keep up with all of the documentation, organizing and keeping gym and equipment sanitized/clean, tracking down and transporting patients, read emails and mandatory trainings in the allotted time for maintaining productivity. Encourage your therapists to care about their jobs by caring about THEM! If you treat each patient appropriately and thoroughly, you will have no problem improving the bottom line.

Just Awful-AVOID!

SLP (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, VA

ProsTherapy staff are qualified and caring, do their best with limited resources and high stress environment. Patients are grateful of the attention to the point of hanging out in the rehab gym vs. staying in their rooms.

Cons1. Top heavy management - Program Manager does her best, but is constantly weighed down by demands from regional management. Too many chiefs...

2. Wages - are competitive, but good luck getting all your hours in. GRS' preferred way of doing things is to hire SLPs for 20 hours in each building and make you run between at least 2 buildings, sometimes more. Also, they favor new grads because they can pay them less. If you are an experienced therapist of any kind, they will bully you until you leave. They do this by making it impossible to do your job. In my case the RPM was also a SLP who had to maintain her own productivity. She was as fair as she could be about it, but in most buildings GRS serves, ST is the least requested of all the therapies.

3. Time off - they only have 2 holidays -Thanksgiving and Christmas day. Good luck getting either off and you can forget about ever having both. And you can only take the paid day within 30 days.No extra pay for those 2 holidays if you work them, either. The lack of holidays makes it particularly difficult for parents of school age kids to plan vacations. This is also affected by their time off policies, which as of Oct '13 were changed. You now have to request time off 3-6 months in advance of when you want it, and you won't know if you actually get it until a few weeks before. And if you are, for example, the only SLP in a building, you'll never get it because upper management actively discourages using PRN help, because they "cost more". Summer vacation planning is brutal and ends up as staff arguments as to who can take when and for how long. You can't take off more than 1 week at a time. Sick time and snow days are non-existent. You will always be required to make days up on the following weekend. Again, if you have kids, this can be a major problem. So if you have to stay home with a sick kid, same policies apply.

4. Productivity - ranges from 80% to 99% depending on building and job. (RPMs are at 50%.) Impossible to meet without skirting the line between legal and fraudulent. They expect you to document while you are with your patients. In some cases, that's OK (like if you're just doing Vitalstim and cueing them to swallow). In other cases, it's not OK, like if you're trying to bring a patient our of their dementia shell and make eye contact, or an aphasic who needs to work on conversation. You have to do your documentation on Ipods, which do not work outside the gym anyway. Many elderly patients think we're being rude and just texting on our cellphones, and with their dementia, most don't understand the explanation that we are documenting. You are required to work with patients regardless of their condition. Even if they're unconscious. To the point of coding (saw quite a few code in the gym). All this stress means quite a bit of poaching goes on between the therapies, so you can have a very hard time being productive if you're not aggressive enough to tell others to back off so you can have time with a patient. I was basically required to clear my own, ST schedule with ALL the other therapists, at their convenience, not mine. I have 20 years of experience and was finding myself having to say "Hey X_____, it it OK with you if I see Mr Y____ at 10?" And then if the answer was no I'd have to go thru the whole schedule again. I don't blame the other therapists, I blame upper management for this.

5. Contract Buildings - having seen the Genesis owned buildings, there is a HUGE difference. The contract buildings are mostly awful. The one in Gainesville is filthy, smelly. The nurses make minimal efforts and are clearly understaffed and overworked. CNAs? There are 2-3 really good ones and the rest are just incompetent. Building management is also incompetent. I have never seen an admissions director or building director give family tours in pajamas until I worked here. I swear this is true. Called in on a weekend morning to give a tour, they would show up in pj bottoms and a hoodie sweatshirt. Nice first impression. Morons. There is little to no coordination between building management and rehab management, everything is an uphill battle, from equipment to diet orders to obtaining eval orders. And if you have to send a patient out for a swallow study? Good luck on that, too. Not only will it take forever to get it booked, chances are excellent that they'll forget to transport the patient, or they'll send the patient without a doctor's order.

6. Computer system - rarely works the way it's supposed to. It can take the better part of an hour to log on. And you can't do reports on the iPods, only daily notes. You will be expected to clock out or come in on weekends to do your paperwork. As I left, word was they were going to switch over to iPads only - no more laptops, and were going to require all therapists to clock in and out between patients. I'm no math genius, but doesn't that mean that really 100% productivity is expected? And doesn't that also mean that essentially Genesis is not paying therapists, merely passing on a percentage of Medicare reimbursement?

7. Career advancement - you can move up to RPM, beyond that not so much. Again, too many chiefs. And frankly, who wants that kind of stress? For that amount of stress you can open your own practice. RPMs are the most stressed out of all - pulled between their therapists, the buildings and the upper management. And they only get about $2 more per hour than therapists. I know this because I applied for a couple of these positions, but when I saw the pay rate, turned away from it completely. Not worth it unless you're looking to die young.

8. Recommendations for new grads - it's up to you. You will not receive the best supervision. You will not be truly mentored. If you're a lone wolf type, this may be Ok for you, but if you like being able to talk to peers, forget it, no one has time, and if you're the SLP, there's no one to talk to anyway. You will be running from building to building like everyone else. If you can endure it, you can get your license and move on. Or work in a pediatric setting, get your license and move on.

The only thing that got me through working for this company at all were a few of the patients, who really needed and appreciated my help. I felt sorry to leave a few of them behind in such a cruddy facility, but that's the way it is.

So read all the reviews. How the CEO maintains a 50% approval rating on this site is beyond me. Look at the dates. If you look closely you'll notice that prior to 2013, it was mixed reviews, and now it looks overwhelmingly negative. Also, notice that every time a negative post is put up, there's a positive one that follows it, almost always from PA? That's where the corporate HQ is - most likely these are planted posts.

I can't recommend working for GRS to anyone. Look elsewhere. Some of the other rehab cos. are just as bad, some not.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop catering to your investors and start acting like a non-profit even though you are clearly all about profit! You don't seem to realize that if you behaved as if not-for-profit your profits would actually increase! The cat's out of the bag on you--everyone knows that your greed is what drives the care, and it's really showing. I wouldn't kennel my dogs in any of your facilities, contract or otherwise.

GHC is similar to all major eldercare companies; neither better or worse.

ProsThe staff members are truly professional and have an unwavering committment to maintaining high quality care even when conditions are less than optimal. There is ample opportunity for online education, unfortunately, time for this benefit is very limited in scope.

ConsThis company continues to cut corners in provding quality care to the elderly while recording record profits. Morale of staff is very low, salaries are stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is removed from reality of day to day challenges in providing quality care to its residents. It may be prudent for them to spend some time with rank and file staff members to observe first hand the need to improve resident to staff ratios. Positive outcomes are a win:win for customers and staff.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

SDC/NPE/LVN (Current Employee)
    Pomona, CA

ProsMost distinguish Medical Company that has an excellent reputation on patient care in healthcare industry.

ConsPay Rates is little low compare to other healthcare company I've worked with. Genesis should competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay rates

A very eye opening experience involving the SNF world.

Physical Therapist (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsA wide variety of SNF areas ( rural/urban/suburban ). Good computer/documentation system.

ConsDecreased benefits. Constant stress concerning productivity. No continuing education money.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter education/training on procedures and policy.

Good company to work for. I really think sometime the regional personnel interfere with the everyday operation.

Maintenance Director (Former Employee)
    Oak Hill, WV

ProsGreat support from supervisors, when needed.

ConsMaybe too high end on regional consultants could use more help on lower end of staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more staff at the center of patient care levels.

Fast paced work environment, not recommended for new grad due to disorganization, high volume, and minimal orientation

Prosflexible scheduling (no required clock in time or being "late", just finish your assigned case load), electronic documentation (generally less time consuming and easier to access than paper, can use ipod for some documentation), generally good staff morale

Conselectronic documentation (slow, not enough laptop computers for more involved paperwork), disorganization, very minimal new employee orientation, and poor communication

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Stay away!

Therapy Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Bluefield, VA

ProsCaring staff who provide excellent therapy to the patients. Surveys done by patients and family members after discharge have high praise for the therapy staff. LTC residents like to come and spend time in the gym just to enjoy the staff.

ConsIt's all about the money...assistants are expected to be 95% productive, and if they do not meet that expectation daily, the program manager has to submit a report to the supervisor each morning explaining what they are going to do about it. The staff are also not given credit for all of the therapy time they actually provide; the report that was required to be used subtracted 5% off with the excuse that it accounted for time that therapy was provided over what the planned minutes were. A good program manager and therapy staff will rarely see that occurring. Many of the staff would clock out and continue working to get their work completed stating that they would rather do that than put up with the stress that was put on them by upper management. Productivity expectations are not the same across all regions. The region that I worked in was expected to be at least 50% productive for the program managers across the board and then the expectation was raised to 70% before any PRN staff could be used to keep the costs down. Since some of the buildings have a larger staff and more patients to maintain than others, this should not be the case. There were some buildings that only had 3-4 staff members for the program manager to oversee as compared to the buildings which have 12 staff members. With all the duties that the program manager has it is impossible to be able to maintain that productivity. It was the expectation of the program manager to work late each day and then come in on the weekends to get caught up, and not to put that time into the labor log, so no one really knew how much time was really spent working each week.

It is very important to develop a good working relationship with the staff, but the program manager is expected to fill up the caseload first and then give what is left to the rest of the staff, and if one of the patients has to go out to the hospital or is sick, then the program manager is to take a patient from one of the assistants and send them home. Not a good way to develop a good relationship with the staff. Again, it's all about the money. They spend so much money on upper management coming up with all of these new ideas that almost no one has time to do. Why not decrease the upper management, who are nonproductive, and focus on the staff that are doing all the work and making the money for the company. Without them there wouldn't be jobs for anyone. Back off on the ridiculous productivity expectations and let us do what we went to school for and what we want to do...provide the high quality care that the patients need and deserve.

Any time that there was a question or concern about expectations the "canned response" was, "It's Genesis's policy", yet when asked to be given the written information on that policy, upper management could not do that. Also, when there were discrepancies between what one region's expectations as compared to other regions the response was, "That is how we do it in our region". Basically, it was "do it my way or it's the highway". As stated in other reviews, everything that the program manager does is micromanaged by upper management. The upper management team is not consistent with their expectations and often will tell you how they want something done, and then forget what they told you and come back on you later wanting to know why you are doing something that way. You don't really know what is expected of you and you feel like you are always walking on egg shells not knowing what is coming next.

I was very disappointed by my experience with GRS. Don't believe what they tell you because they will change the rules next week.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more respect for the ones that are doing all of the work. If you see something that may be questionable, ask what is going on instead of making assumptions. Stop relying on the numbers, you really don't know what is going on in the facility if you are not there, the numbers you see are only part of it. Be more consistent with your expectations and be able to provide written documentation to assure that the expectations are actually Genesis's policies.

Worked for Genesis in Rehab Department.

Certfied Occupational Therapy Assistant (Former Employee)
    Chelmsford, MA

ProsWonderful co-workers always supportive and willing to help out in any situation.

ConsResponsibilities taken away from COTA/L and PTA's for documentation on weekly basis and given to Registered therapists who might only have seen the client on the day the notes are due. Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management. Daily e-mails why minutes were missed. Productivity posted weekly for all to see, high lighting who is meeting productivity and who is not meeting productivity requirements. Threatening and hostile work environment if requirements not met.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop heavy with Area Directors and Clinical Specialists that have not been required to see twelve clients in an eight hour work day, while advising therapists to double up on clients with certain kinds of insurance.

a lot of work for ok pay

Dietary Aide (Current Employee)
    West Hartford, CT

Prosfree meals, nice co workers

Conspoor managment , little room to grow

Worked for Genesis HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!

Genesis HealthCare Videos

Genesis HealthCare – Why Work for Us?

Move forward with confidence. That’s stability. That’s Genesis HealthCare. Genesis HealthCare is one of the nation’s largest long-term care and rehabilitation therapy providers. In an industry that’s growing in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genesis HealthCare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr. All 206 reviews posted anonymously by Genesis HealthCare employees.