Genesis HealthCare Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
1.0
Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good people to work with; flexibility; good pay (in 11 reviews)

• They offered good benefits at the time (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to have empathy for the dynamics involved in the field (in 23 reviews)

• Very poor & stressful working conditions; dangerous for quality patient care; Corporate leadership not to be trusted (in 16 reviews)

The Worst Company I ever worked for in 17 yrs.

Former Employee - OTR in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - OTR in West Chester, PA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I Love working with older people. My Coworkers were a great group of people to work with.

Cons

I have never worked where management that was so condescending and disrespectful to all of us Therapists. All that upper management was worried about was PRODUCTIVITY. The benefits are very expensive and it is not 100% coverage. Also, the deductibles are high.. When I left, I had 13 vacation days It is a Genesis policy NOT to pay you for any remaining vacation days you may have. I thought this was illegal, but I called the state and it is not unfortunately. In my 20 yrs. of employment, I NEVER did not receive payment for my unused vacation days.

Advice to Management

If you treat your well deserving employees with respect and kindness, you will get ten fold in return!

Beware

Pros

Funny that pros are mandatory. There are no pros about this company. Free toilet paper maybe? You're allowed to take lunch? Maybe executives are the only ones that see the pros because they're the ones that get taken care of...

Cons

Benefits are terrible. Management treats people like they are expendable. Compensation for all roles is well below market value. If you desperately need a job, and this is the only place that takes you, accept your offer. But jump ship as soon as you find a better opportunity. This company does not care about its employees at all. Management would rather keep all of the money for themselves. There's also no room for growth (not even laterally). Also, as a last note, I left when I found a better opportunity.

Advice to Management

There are too many execs for no reason. Lean out. Fire the managers who don't actually manage. Having lazy managers and execs does nothing for your company.

Occupational Therapist

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

Therapy coworkers are nice, as most therapists (anywhere) are great

Cons

This is probably the WORST company I've ever worked for. Never have I felt so uncared for. The company provides the worst health insurance I have ever had and it's not cheap. There is a 10,000 max out of pocket annual expense (for out of network), and having a baby this year, I will blow through that and the 10,000 out of pocket annual expense for my future beloved baby (so 20,000 total), taking money out of our baby's mouth so to speak, despite paying 300/ month for each plan. How can a health care company demonstrate they care so little about the basic needs of their employees? Yet, despite this, they make employees jump through ridiculous hoops so that their premiums don't go up. Try calling the benefits hotline or someone from HR and you will be in cue for atleast an hour and if you leave messages no one will get back to you, so you have to spend your off time chasing people down. The company (like all rehab companies) send you home when things slow, but unlike other rehab companies, have an insane amount of paperwork, so you are forced to basically ignore your patients all day to go through pages and pages of ridiculous paperwork so they cant be denied on their claims. And gear up for regular calls with the president who will complain profits are not high enough (for their shareholders and so they CEO can make even MORE money), all the while they are buying up buildings and expanding left and right, even growing into China and bragging about it, while they send you home and you can barely pay your bills.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care a lot more about the basic needs of their employees and patients and less about profits for themselves and their shareholders. This company is making me hate my job and life.

Maintenance Director

Former Employee - Maintenance Director in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Maintenance Director in Aurora, CO

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any. Time was short with this company.

Cons

Was hired and put to work before background check came in. I was informed it was illegal for the company to do that so I didn't return the next week as I was told I couldn't since my background had not cleared. I was asked to write out an ongoing invoice to cover the week I worked so I could get paid. The company then fired the administrator that asked me to do this so I could get paid and the company told me not to. It has been over a month and still have not been paid. I have called and submitted numerous emails and get nothing in return. The background company that is used couldn't even verify my work history (this should not be done by a background check company. It should be done by the facility.) and had me send them paystubs or W-2's which they said were insufficient. This company does not act upon good faith and leaves little room to be trusted. Took almost 2 months for my background to come back only to have the background company tell me that I won't be working for Genesis Healthcare. Complete waste of my time!! Now I have to take them to court to get paid.

unrealistic expectations

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Glastonbury, CT
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Glastonbury, CT

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have a job that is not too far from home and I have the opportunity to help people regain their mobility.

Cons

Management is completely disconnected from reality in general as well as the general workflow and every day challenges that we are forced to work around. They will repeat the same process of identifying barriers to productivity, doing nothing about them and then expecting higher levels of productivity while you are working with less support and greater medical complexity. Do not expect the benefits that are advertised to job applicants to apply for more than only a few months as they seem to take away bit by bit from their initial offerings regularly. Productivity demands are mandatory with no acceptable excuses for under-performing even for 1 day. Be prepared to be treated as a subordinate peon while being stripped of the confidence you had in your formal education and the professional skills you've worked so hard to develop. The use of technology is a half-effort as you are expected to document in real-time as you provide treatment on ipods which more often than not have issues with connectivity and other bugs, not to mention the dial-up connection and poor interface. Their continuing education is the worst I have ever come across and therefore I stick to courses offered by my professional organization (The APTA).

Advice to Management

You should require all licensed staff who hold positions in management to work a therapist's day on a regular basis so they can keep in touch with the reality and struggles of those they manage using the exact same tools and resources. Support the infrastructure of your company and employ a qualitative perspective as equally as a quantitative one.

Dont do it.

Former Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant in Fairmont, WV
    Former Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant in Fairmont, WV

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-if you are in with the "cool" CNAs, they cover you. -no resident screen so its fair for them -they offer a CNA course

Cons

-mandation, mandation, mandation. - 16 hours. Never less. -staff is outrageous -DON is a joke -no resident screen - ive been treated like I would had I worked at a prison, by residents. -no competitive pay -no real standard unless the state is there that week -drama

Advice to Management

You dont have to be friends with your long term staffers. Its ok to let people go and build a new standard.

8. Social worker

Pros

Great team! Great locations, I get home on time

Cons

Management, there seem to be no limit in what to do as a social worker, doesn't follow job description

There is no way to describe the Genesis Exp w/o violation community guidlines

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Genesis HealthCare (More than a year)

Pros

working with regular paycheck although your life is shortened by the stress

Cons

indescribably awful on all levels

Advice to Management

come clean

Physical therapist

Current Employee - Physical Therapist
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continuing education online courses. Nice, but similarly overworked coworkers.

Cons

Untrustworthy management. No appreciation for hard work. More and more constantly being asked of a smaller amount of staff. Benefits, holidays, time-off requests and coverage micromanaged and cut back. Non-competitive pay.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your staff as disposable. Remember how it was to be a therapist and how you may have wanted to be treated as a professional who had their management's support and the tools, time, and resources to provide their best treatment.

pta

Current Employee - PTA in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - PTA in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some good coworkers. ok facilities

Cons

PTAs treated as rehab techs no use of modalities, more concerned with productivity and not about patient care. Management comparing health field to car dealerships. Questionable billing

Advice to Management

Medicare is going is going to catch up with this company as they did with others. No you did not event everything. Do not give us vacation days that are hard to get. And really no holiday pay? Why doesn't apply to you?

RSS Feed </> Embed